Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Movies of Your Favorite Books

Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. The Pride & Prejudicemovie that came out a few years back was excellent and I loved it even though I generally can't stand Kiera Knightley for some reason. Yes, I still like the miniseries from the 90s in which Colin Firth was an excellent Darcy but I like the movie even more. Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Movies were quite good, of course. However, I would hate to think that someone's only experience of A Wizard of Earthsea was that pefectly awful miniseries. So, here is my list of great movie or T.V. adaptations...

1. Children of Men book by P.D. James, movie with Clive Owen

2. Jackson's LOTR movies

3. The Harry Potter movies

4. The Brother Cadfael books by Ellis Peters, T.V. series with Derek Jacobi

5. Stardust book by Neil Gaiman, movie with Charlie Cox and Claire Daines

6. The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher, T.V. series with Paul Blackthorne

7. Pride & Prejudice with MacFadyen and Knightley

8. Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro with Mulligan, Garfield, and Knightley (wow, my second with her and, really, I don't like her but she tends to be in good movies...)

9. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which I know is very different and much expanded from the short story. Still love it. Pitt and Blanchett.

10. Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslett.

11. Honorary mention to 2 movies inspired by graphic novels, V for Vendetta and Warrior's Way, both of which I really enjoyed.

I would really, really like to see a decent movie adaptation of Earthsea, if only to expunge the horror of the miniseries and I really hope I can add that new Jane Eyre movie to that list.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
I'd have to put down, among my favourite book --> movie transitions...

Lord of the Rings - was done soooo much better than I figured it would be

Harry Potter - I'm actually *just* reading the books now, and we sit down as a family and watch each movie as I finish them

The Bourne series - loved these ones

Tom Clancy adaptations - can't think of one I didn't enjoy!

Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I re-read LOTR after seeing the films a few times, and the one thing the movies really changed (for the better imho) was the huge sense of urgency at the beginning-in FOTR, years pass before Frodo finally gets a move on...and even then he takes the time to sell his house first
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post

Harry Potter - I'm actually *just* reading the books now, and we sit down as a family and watch each movie as I finish them

Kev
Oh, yeah. Hunt for Red October is a classic.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I re-read LOTR after seeing the films a few times, and the one thing the movies really changed (for the better imho) was the huge sense of urgency at the beginning-in FOTR, years pass before Frodo finally gets a move on...and even then he takes the time to sell his house first
Yeah, that was a good change. I also didn't mind more Arwen. I remember Mom reading me the books when I was a kid and, at the end of ROTK, I was wondering who Arwen was because I had forgotten her brief appearance at dinner in Rivendell. I was all about the Merry and Pippin parts when I was a kid, probably because I identified with them the most.
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Best movie/TV adaptations:

Gone with the Wind
The Nun's Story
To Kill a Mockingbird
Jaws (movie outdoes the book)
Three Days of the Condor (movie outdoes the book, despite lopping off three days)
Auntie Mame
The Trouble with Angels
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yeah the LOTR movies were excellent, though I still have a beef with omission of the Tom Bombadil story. Movies that I thought were better than the book include Blade Runner (book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), as were the movies Gone with the Wind and Ben Hur. On the other hand the movies Catch 22 and Last Temptation of Christ were no where near as good as the respective books. In fairness though I don't think Last Temptation of Christ can be put to film. The worst film adaption I've ever seen though was Scarlet Letter starring Demi Moore (G.I Jane goes to Puritan Boston ). I am still surprised Hawthorne did not arise from the grave to demand that the title of his book be removed from that film.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post

Kev
Bourne... Really? Have you read the books?
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
7. Pride & Prejudice with MacFadyen and Knightley
I thought Knightley was too shrill for Elizabeth. The whole tone of her voice when she says "my sister hardly shares her true feelings with me" (or something close to that) just made me cringe.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I have really enjoyed some Shakespeare adaptations. The 1996 Hamlet with Kenneth Branagh is a word-for-word epic film version, really great. My 2nd favorite Shakespeare adaptation was Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth.

For the inner child in me, some of the Alice In Wonderland adaptations have been very good. Some are truer to the book than others, and some mix in element of Through the Looking Glass.

And I really like good SF (probably couldn't tell by the above), but I haven't found too many adaptations that impressed me much. In fact, some deviate. from the book so much that it irritates me when I watch the movie. The worst in this area was I, Robot. Heinlein's Starship Troopers just didn't cut it for me in movie form, althouth his Puppet Masters seemed to translate better to film.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
amkuska
amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Favorites:

Narnia - Thank goodness for the mods the movie makers did make. Otherwise, Prince Caspian would not have been a very good movie.

Alice in Wonderland

Phantom of the Opera (even though it isn't in any way similar to the book, the book was just a little odd for me)

Wish they hadn't done it:

Blood and Chocolate. The whole point of that book was that werewolves should stay with werewolves and humans with humans. Changing that changed the essence of the novel.
amkuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Starship Troopers just didn't cut it for me in movie form, althouth his Puppet Masters seemed to translate better to film.
Wasn't Verhoeven's film a total parody of Heinlein's novel, or at least of the militaristic tone?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Jurassic park/Lost World
Steig Larsson Trilogy

I find it very intereting to watch a movie after I have read a book than the other way round. Its really interests me to see how the director directs a particular scene or how a 800 page novel is edited to fit the 2hr slot without missing the essence of the book.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
One of my worst was the movie adaptation of The Relic by Preston & Child.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Movie/TV adaptations that I really liked:

The Hunt for Red October. The movie managed to keep faith with the book better than many movies do.

Das Boot. The series did a very good job of keeping the suspense from the book.

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Maybe a bit controversial, but I liked that it wasn't too close to the book. Every version of HHGG is different to every other version, and I was pleased that the movie wasn't an exception.

Dune. Both the David Lynch film and the mini-series. They were very different adaptations, but I enjoyed both.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Full Metal Jacket. I saw the film some years before I read the book, and enjoyed both.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote