Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Using an electronic timer

Well, yesterday I decided to have an easy meal - Pizza - and instead of just ordering one, I bought one to cook myself - a lot cheaper...

It said on the package to cook at 210 deg Celsius for 10-12 minutes... I set the timer for 10, and continued to read on MR... I thought a long time had passed, but the timer said more than 9 minutes left...

Then I smelled burned food! This couldn't be right... only seconds had passed! Got the pizza out of the oven - it was black alright.

I blamed the stupid timer, until I realised I had set it for 10 hours and not 10 minutes... Geeze!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Shouldn't have affected the taste of a frozen pizza that much.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Spending time on Mobileread is much more nourishing than scoffing frozen pizza - so everything turned out for the best
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
He wouldnt be scoffing down a "frozen" pizza if it had been set on fire in an oven.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's frozenness refers to it's state when it was bought, not it's state when it comes out of the oven, or when it gets eaten, or at some subsequent point. But it may not have been frozen at all - that was an assumption I made.
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Shouldn't have affected the taste of a frozen pizza that much.

It was a fresh pizza, not frozen..
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
He wouldnt be scoffing down a "frozen" pizza if it had been set on fire in an oven.
She's NOT a 'he'..
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Spending time on Mobileread is much more nourishing than scoffing frozen pizza - so everything turned out for the best
I retract!

Spending time on Mobileread is much more nourishing than scoffing pizza - fresh, frozen, blast-chilled, irradiated, burnt, microwaved, or prepared in any other way - so everything turned out for the best
Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Lene. Instead of using a timer, maybe use a smoke detector!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Well, yesterday I decided to have an easy meal - Pizza - and instead of just ordering one, I bought one to cook myself - a lot cheaper...

It said on the package to cook at 210 deg Celsius for 10-12 minutes... I set the timer for 10, and continued to read on MR... I thought a long time had passed, but the timer said more than 9 minutes left...

Then I smelled burned food! This couldn't be right... only seconds had passed! Got the pizza out of the oven - it was black alright.

I blamed the stupid timer, until I realised I had set it for 10 hours and not 10 minutes... Geeze!
You have absolutely no idea how thrilled I was to read your post.........I thought that I was the only one to do that sort of thing.

When I think back on some of the dumb things I've done in my lifetime I literally cringe.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I had an apartment where the smoke detector was put just outside the kitchen - and apparently was set to be extremely sensitive. Every time I cooked pizza in the oven - and opened the door to see if it was ready - the released cloud of steam, etc. ALWAYS set off the farking thing. After the second or third time, my neighbors got used to it and stopped banging on the door to see if I needed rescued -- or a fire extinguisher. I finally attached a plastic grocery bag to the ceiling and covered it during food preparation.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I roast chilies in the oven quite often. plays hell with the ex-smoke detector. it is now in a hallway.

I read not long ago about a woman that put either soup or popcorn in a microwave at work and instead of 5 minutes had set it to 50 minutes. well she forgot until the smoke detectors in the building were going off, the building was being evacuated and of course the microwave was totalled.

seriously... if you are hungry enough to go stimulate electrons on some food, don't you think your stomach when send up a clue phone message before you damn near burn down the building? I tend to not quite hover while cooking, but at least stay on patrol as it were
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Darn, I thought this thread was about setting a vibrator on timer control, and then falling asleep. This would have been more interesting than a burned pizza story. To be continued, hopefully?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Darn, I thought this thread was about setting a vibrator on timer control, and then falling asleep. This would have been more interesting than a burned pizza story. To be continued, hopefully?
I simply can't imagine falling asleep with that issue. if that's the case, then it is time for an upgrade
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I hear Harley Davidson makes a 200 hp. model.
It's got a kickstart.

If you can't set a simple timer, what the Hell are you doing wandering around loose, never mind cooking?
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote