Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do you determine what the text will be during nightmare in Sigil?

My stylesheet has css for the text to be red. This is the only color property I have on my css stylesheet and this is the only css sheet I got.

When it's daytime, Apple Books shows the text red, however, during nightmare, the text (which is a link) turns blue. I understand that links by default are blue, but doesn't my color rule change that?

Thank you.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
readers built in css can and will overrule the book's css. This really has nothing to do with Sigil. My guess is Books has a dark and light theme which are taking orecedence.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
readers built in css can and will overrule the book's css. This really has nothing to do with Sigil. My guess is Books has a dark and light theme which are taking orecedence.
Thank you. But why does my CSS work for day mode if the reader got its own already?
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:59 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
Thank you. But why does my CSS work for day mode if the reader got its own already?
Users can choose whatever background colors they want. When you force colors, this may lead to a serious readability problem.

The most common of these is tools/programs/people accidentally setting the text as "black":

Code:
p {
color: #000000;
}
And people don't notice it, because "white background is the default" (see Word, LibreOffice, InDesign, etc. etc.).

So when Apple flips over to Night Mode, they probably specifically override font colors to make sure that "black-on-black" (or another unreadable combination) doesn't happen.

A lot of this was discussed in:

2020: "Colored Text, EPUB, Android Dark Mode"

or I explained a similar situation with images of music notes and changing background/font colors:

2016: "Problem with inline image" (Posts #14 + #22)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-04-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
It might just be inverting it rather than falling back to initial blue, even if the end result seems similar. I could see them doing that to avoid combos that aren’t very dark mode friendly. Red text on black might actually be one such.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
css, night mode, night mode colors, sigil