Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Possible bug when selecting titles

Hi,

Something funny happens when I try to select multiple titles (for example to delete them or to edit metadata).

I click on one title; hold the shift key; and click on another.

Quite often, many more titles are selected than expected.

This could be dangerous if a user didn't notice and ended up deleting a good deal of his/her library.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Last time I checked, Calibre adhered to normal behaviour during selection of titles. That is, if you click without holding keys, it will just select the one book you click on. If you click on one book, hold Shift and select another, it will additionally select the second book and every entry in between the two. If you select one book, then hold Ctrl and select a second book, the second book will additionally be selected.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I'm just pointing out that that's not the way it works for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Well, then you need to explain in more detail, because from what you wrote, everything happens as expected as far as I can tell.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Quite often, many more titles are selected than expected.
In particular, you might want to quantify (or otherwise expand upon or clarify) "quite often" and "many more". I believe most of us here are having our crystal balls polished this week.

Last edited by Manichean; 01-21-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What O/S?
I use XP and Ubuntu and neither behave as you describe.
I have had issues, when I try random selects over many hundred records (off screen). I simply avoid doing that.
I also hide The extra windows (Tag and Book), to maximize screen area.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
clittle
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback!

Manichean: I don't know what more I can say. I think I described what happens pretty clearly.

AFAICT, this happens when selecting multiple, contiguous items using <shift> and not when using <ctrl>.

theducks: You may be experiencing the same thing. It does seem to happen when the selection spans more than one screen.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

You said you "quite often" select "many more" titles. That's not clear at all. For example, the selecting across multiple screens part would have been interesting. Also, how many is "many more"? All of the books? Double the books? Is there any pattern you can see?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
clittle
Zealot

I haven't been using calibre long enough to be able to provide more specifics.

One thing, I think but I'm not sure, ALL records above the first selected record are erroneously in the selection.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

See, that's the kind of details that is interesting.
You have to understand, I'm not trying to get on your nerves, but if you try to get help in a technical matter, supply as much details as you can, especially stuff that helps to reproduce the error (as in what version and which OS, what were you doing in the program before, stuff like that). You don't need to know the program at all to be able to provide these things.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Something funny happens when I try to select multiple titles (for example to delete them or to edit metadata).

I click on one title; hold the shift key; and click on another.
I haven't been using calibre long enough to be able to provide more specifics.

One thing, I think but I'm not sure, ALL records above the first selected record are erroneously in the selection.
Ah but you did provide the exact specific I would have guessed. Calibre is working as expected. Let me explain why this is happening to you so you can avoid it.

Say you have book 1 selected (which is selected by default when calibre opens) then scrolled down to book 132, preparing to select 9 books. If you hold the shift key when selecting book 132 keep it held down to select book 140. You may only see books 132 -140 selected in the window but actually all books back to book 1 are selected. This is why it doesn't happen often and seems to be random.

I say this with confidence because I have done this on rare occasions. Since the book view is limited you have to be aware of the books you can't see.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Calibre's behavior has changed in the last several releases, though. In OS X, I used to be able to hit CMD-A in the file list window and it would select all the books. Now I have to select them individually with the shift key held down.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Calibre's behavior has changed in the last several releases, though. In OS X, I used to be able to hit CMD-A in the file list window and it would select all the books. Now I have to select them individually with the shift key held down.
What happens if you click the little box above the row numbers (select all in Linux/XP)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
CMD-A still works for me in 0.7.42.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
This is interesting and ctrl-a still works as expected in Windows. I don't think this is related to the OPs problem.

If others confirm this problem open up a bug report.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
CMD-A still works for me in 0.7.42.
I'm using 0.7.40 and OS X 10.6.6. CMD-A hasn’t worked for me in something like a month or more.

I didn’t get auto-notification of either 0.7.41 or 0.7.42. Downloading now.

Edit: Same problem with 0.7.42, it just beeps when I press CMD-A. In other apps it works fine.

Mike

Last edited by JMikeD; 01-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote