Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 02-02-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Pocket Mechanic contains malicious code - update!

TadW revealed the quite shocking news that Pocket Mechanic, a famous storage card utility for Pocket PC, contains code that could hard-reset your handheld without warning if a pirated serial code was detected.

Tad now posted the technical evidence (scroll down to post #11) leaving no room for doubt that Pocket Mechanic is indeed a dangerous (and illegal?) piece of software!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
jkendrick
jkendrick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony U-70 /Toshiba e805
Has anyone spoken directly with Tomov about this?
Advert
Old 02-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
It would surprise me if he isn't aware of these discussions. The news have been posted over various places, plus he was present in the original Aximsite thread where users were first complaining about the hard resets.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contacted Mr Tomov and am awaiting his answer.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
I read it somewhere. The big Q is whether it is legal to auto-erase someone's data for using stolen serial number. It's unethical for sure, but so is using pirated software...now which is a graver offense?
Advert
Old 02-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
His boards are down, but, I do remember the thread about this behavior over on his forums. Anton requested a user's registration info, and then he said he was still waiting. The user would never send the registration info. Also, his boards are currently down, they're being upgraded . . .
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
I read it somewhere. The big Q is whether it is legal to auto-erase someone's data for using stolen serial number. It's unethical for sure, but so is using pirated software...now which is a graver offense?
And a simple mis-typing of your valid code, or even a small bug in the program, could cause the same result.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
climax510
climax510 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung i730 & Audvox6600
Pocket Mechanic VERSUS Sktools 2.11

Can anybody with extensive experience tell detailed differences between these two products. From what I can see SKtools offer the same (or like functionality) and much more at a cheaper price. I just purchased Pocket Mechanic & wonder if I need or should at the least consider Sktools as an additional matainence utility. If both are not necessary than which product would be best recommended for power users?

In addition to any replys, Please e-mail me for faster communications.
Climax510@hotmail.com

Thanks a-million
Old 09-10-2005, 04:49 AM   #9
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Pocket Mechanic has a few more options to test the integrity of your external memory (e.g. SD Card). On the other hand, SKtools has a lot more features to tune Windows Mobile. I would 100% go for SKtools; nicer developer, more updates, better product.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
yellowspace
yellowspace began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba E400
hard resets

I've had the same problem with a game called Soduku Master, it installs ok, lives in the games folder and on loading wipes the PDA with a hard reset so be warned if you get a copy of this software don't install it.

That'll teach me!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
ecschultz
ecschultz began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ 3850
Pocket mechanic

If we dont use this software what other software we can use to manager de sd memory card. I have one iPAQ 3850 with 2Gb SD memory. I look on internet to find another software, but I could find it.
Can you help me?

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

You should probably use an external card reader and manage (format, defrag, etc.) your SD card on your PC. It's definitely more reliable and faster, and a card reader isn't more expensive than buying a software product such as this one.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #13
ecschultz

Thanks Alex! I'm dummy, it's easy like that? Format again, then the iPAQ could work with my 2GB? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecschultz
Thanks Alex! I'm dummy, it's easy like that? Format again, then the iPAQ could work with my 2GB? Thanks for your help!!!
Yup that should work Try to format in FAT32 with a copy of the FAT table, which worked best for me.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
ecschultz

Hi Alex! I did the format using FAT32 but my PDA still doesn't fit the 2Gb only 1Gb. The comand I used fomat volume /FS:FAT32.