Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #16
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

i followed the instructions:
-updated to 7/31
-unziped archive to SD Card
-turned off
-inserted SD Card
-turned on
-selected 5 : make a new image

got:

"error copying mcopy to /tmp"
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't know that I can troubleshoot much, but I can think of two things to look out for...
* Did you have anything else on the SD card?
* Did you make sure that the directory you copied DiabloNL's XML file to was the right one (it should have overwritten the existing one).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

since I only wanted the clock, i didn't merge in DiabloNL's patch.
it is a blank 16MB sd card, on the top-level there is only one folder "sd_flash_1.2"
so the applicationStart.xml is located at:
\sd_flash_1.2\files\opt\sony\ebook\application\res ources\applicationStart.xml

did you unzip the content directly onto the root of the sd card?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
since I only wanted the clock, i didn't merge in DiabloNL's patch.
it is a blank 16MB sd card, on the top-level there is only one folder "sd_flash_1.2"
so the applicationStart.xml is located at:
\sd_flash_1.2\files\opt\sony\ebook\application\res ources\applicationStart.xml

did you unzip the content directly onto the root of the sd card?
Yep, that's probably it. By top level, I think it means you need to NOT be inside any other folder, i.e. eliminate the \sd_flash_1.2 level directory from the tree. (Or, as you phrased it, unzip onto the root level of the sd card.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
i followed the instructions:
-updated to 7/31
-unziped archive to SD Card
-turned off
-inserted SD Card
-turned on
-selected 5 : make a new image

got:

"error copying mcopy to /tmp"

Is your internal memory on the Reader perhaps full with books? If so try deleting some books and try again.

EDIT: That's correct. The files need to be in root without an upper folder. So no \sd_flash_1.2\.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #21
jakeluck
Groupie

that was it! thank you, love my new clock.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #22
Pierrot
Pierrot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Big thanks to Igorsk, diabloNL, and Bob Russell! The installation was smooth sailing. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will give step-by-step instructions for how to change the PRS-500's fonts.
Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That clock's a great thingie. So is the joystick page turn. Nothing clashed with the last upgrade.

BTW The Sony meter fix was a good thing too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #24
Walker1940
Walker1940 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader prs500u2
Installed clock and joystick mod

The only uncertainty I ran into was using the step by step instructions by Bob Russell. The instructions were fine but the display was showing steps up to 7 and 9 which didn't exist was supposed to reboot. I was expecting to see only "press 5", "press 6", "press 9" to be displayed. I followed instructions exactly and everything worked. A second screen shows the 9 option.

My son gave me the reader for father's day. Its nice when your kids can give you good stuff.
Walker1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Bob, thanks for the precise instruction; worked for me without a flaw. Using the joystick to flip pages is a real improvement!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm still surprised that so few people had done that customization before. I'll blame that on the techies often talking of 'bricking' this expensive toy.
Unsure about doing the right thing most people had postponed about upgrading.
Well glad I did it. No more fumbling for the watch in the dark.

Hey guys... other projects in store?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #27
Pierrot
Pierrot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
A hitch after the fact:

I deleted the flasher off of my SD card after successfully installing it on my reader. Later I loaded some books on the card to transfer to the reader; when I inserted the card, the flasher's install screen appeared. I hit 7 for "switch to firmware update mode" and received the following error message:
error copying libfskLoad to /tmp/
That screen stays in place for a second, and then a screen appears that reads
Run script
If this message stays for a long time, something went wrong.
--followed by the flasher's ordinary instructions. That message does stay a long time, but if I hit MENU it disappears. This happens every time I insert my SD card.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try a format of your SD card in a card reader attached to your computer and then see what happens.

I moved all the flasher stuff off of my SD card just now and inserted it into my Reader. Not a problem.

Sounds like you have some file(s) left over. Maybe something hidden?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
A hitch after the fact:
I deleted the flasher off of my SD card after successfully installing it on my reader. Later I loaded some books on the card to transfer to the reader; when I inserted the card, the flasher's install screen appeared.
You didn't delete everything. Delete \Sony Reader\software\autorun.xml file.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #30
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Kudos to Bob for taking the time to write up such a complete set of instructions!
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote