Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
cpj
cpj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Prs-505
HELP! New computer / registration & authorization woes

I'm going crazy here. My laptop died, and I've got a new computer. I've installed Reader Library and Digital Editions, and copied over all my old ebook files from the laptop to the new computer.
Digital Editions installed ok, and after a few attempts at the "one time registration" everything seems to be working ok there. However, when I try to open a book in Reader Library (one that works fine in Digital Editions) I get the message

"to preview this ebook, you must first authorize this computer for adobe drm protected content. would you like to authorize this computer now?"

I type in my Adobe digital editions info, and it never works. I've tried 10+ times now. I keep getting the message "this computer is not authorized to view this page"

I remember way back with my old laptop that I had to register my computer as one of 6 devices allowed by Sony, but I cant remember how I did this before and the new computer hasn't been registered in any way like this. I wonder if this is the problem?

Can anyone tell me where I am supposed to go to register my computer as one of my 6 permitted devices?

I am in the UK, if that makes any difference. I can't find anything on the Sony website beyond adding a new product (ie another sony reader)
cpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpj View Post
Can anyone tell me where I am supposed to go to register my computer as one of my 6 permitted devices? (
C, Sign in to Sony Reader Library, click on My Account, click on Manage Hardware, and click on authorize your computer.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
cpj

Thank you, but I don't see "my account" anywhere in the Reader Library.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, but I don't see "my account" anywhere in the Reader Library.
C, You have to log in.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And people wonder why I won't touch DRM-locked ebooks ....
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
W, I really don't understand such a position...except that it is a matter of principle.

I find no difficulty using Sony Reader Library or Adobe Digital Editions.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First, it's a matter of principle.

Second, look at the situation the OP is in: He has books he legitimately bought and paid for, but because of DRM, he can't read them. He has to jump through all sorts of hoops to read the books he bought.

Whereas if I want to read, say, On Basilisk Station on my netbook instead of my 505, or if I get some totally different reading device a month down the road, all I have to do is load it. I don't have to say "Mother, may I?" to some authentication server somewhere, or beg a company to let me use what I bought from them, or poke at this, sign into that, authorize this other thing. I just read the books.

You find no difficulty using Sony Reader Library (they've finally made it not suck?) but what do you do when a Bad Thing happens to your 505, and you decide to replace it with a Kindle?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

You find no difficulty using Sony Reader Library (they've finally made it not suck?) but what do you do when a Bad Thing happens to your 505, and you decide to replace it with a Kindle?
Not sure you can use that analogy since I don't believe the Kindle supports Epubs of any kind, DRM or not. That would be a problem of not having a universal standardized format.

I believe all readers that do support Epub supports Adobe Adept DRM (could be wrong) so as of now, there shouldn't be a problem of reading books bought from Sony on any of those readers. Unless you have authorization problems of course.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

If the epubs in question aren't DRM-locked, you just convert them to mobi for the Kindle.

If they are ... well, time to buy all your books over again, I guess. Kind of like having to leave your library behind whenever you move to a new house. (come to think of it, that might have saved my back...)
Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess if one is tech savvy enough to format shift, they would be also able to figure out how to strip Adobe Adept DRM. But then I guess it comes down to the point if someone feels comfortable about doing that as it might be deemed illegal in certain areas.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
cpj

Attachment 54414
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
C, You have to log in.
Thanks for your help. I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see any login area when I open the Reader Library, anywhere. The only account I can log into through the reader library software is my Waterstones account, and it just deals with books I've bought from there rather than any way to manage devices.

Last edited by cpj; 07-02-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #12
cpj

Quote:
So where can I get ebooks without DRM?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
So where can I get ebooks without DRM?
there are many places, including mobileread (see the E-Books library) - all etailers will have a section of books that are drm-free. Look at Fictionwise at their multiformat selection.
problem is most of the big names/latest books are often drm'ed, but there are many exciting less well-known authors out there.

the drm'ed books are, also, most likely those that are geo-restricted.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I'm going crazy here. My laptop died, and I've got a new computer. I've installed Reader Library and Digital Editions, and copied over all my old ebook files from the laptop to the new computer.
Digital Editions installed ok, and after a few attempts at the "one time registration" everything seems to be working ok there. However, when I try to open a book in Reader Library (one that works fine in Digital Editions) I get the message

"to preview this ebook, you must first authorize this computer for adobe drm protected content. would you like to authorize this computer now?"

I type in my Adobe digital editions info, and it never works. I've tried 10+ times now. I keep getting the message "this computer is not authorized to view this page"

I remember way back with my old laptop that I had to register my computer as one of 6 devices allowed by Sony, but I cant remember how I did this before and the new computer hasn't been registered in any way like this. I wonder if this is the problem?

Can anyone tell me where I am supposed to go to register my computer as one of my 6 permitted devices?

I am in the UK, if that makes any difference. I can't find anything on the Sony website beyond adding a new product (ie another sony reader)
(bolded text is my emphasis)

Hi, cpj. I have a couple of pics that may help.
Click on it to enlarge. This is the ADE dropdown menu for authorization. Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE auth.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	54416

Quote:
Attachment 54414

Thanks for your help. I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see any login area when I open the Reader Library, anywhere. The only account I can log into through the reader library software is my Waterstones account, and it just deals with books I've bought from there rather than any way to manage devices.
I don't know if this helps but this pic shows an area where you register the Reader. Maybe it has an area to "manage devices".
click to enlarge. Click image for larger version

Name:	register Reader.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	54418

I hope I understood what you were asking and this helps.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
cpj, here are a few links to places to get you started with DRM free, non geographic restricted books.

MR has free ebooks that have been beautifully formatted by some very dedicated MR members.
The MR E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library
ePub format and Sony BBeB / lrf format even Kindle mobi / prc format.

Free ebook sites.. manybooks.net and Project Gutenberg

Free and for purchase ebooks .. smashwords.com, feedbooks.com and baen.com Plus Baen has a free library

You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

Here are some book search engines for finding and comparing book prices.. (books found with the search engines may be at sites that have DRM and geographic restricted books) Inkmesh, AddAll, and eBookPrice.Info.

Last edited by dreams; 02-13-2011 at 01:58 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorization, drm, registration