Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Personally I'm of the opinion that sci-fi is for EVERYBODY regardless of gender.
I couldn't agree more.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
ELFWRECK! There's one that I didn't know was a woman!

Maybe we need a separate thread just for a discussion of "are you a woman?"

I think Never Let Me Go makes an excellent book club book. We discussed it in an online book club (of women) and it was one of our best discussions. Not everyone liked it, though!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #33
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
You confirm my suspicions that sci-fi liking women exist. For my part, I know a girl who routinely reads fantasy but will go "ewwww !" as soon as you label something as science fiction. It doesn't matter how light - Philip Dick and Robert Sheckley barely mention any technical details, but she will have none of that ;-).
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
(like, the fact that women sometimes have conversations among themselves that aren't about men)
You mean, like, about vacuuming and stuff?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You are sooooo evil!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
Try AC Wilder's Ariel
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
ELFWRECK! There's one that I didn't know was a woman!
My Dreamwidth blog is linked in my sig. Nobody at DW thinks I'm male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
You confirm my suspicions that sci-fi liking women exist. For my part, I know a girl who routinely reads fantasy but will go "ewwww !" as soon as you label something as science fiction. It doesn't matter how light - Philip Dick and Robert Sheckley barely mention any technical details, but she will have none of that ;-).
It's not about technical details; it's about the focus of the story. I like both Dick and Sheckley, but they both write stories steeped in the assumption that there's no reason to describe what's going on with the women except as it relates to the men. Women who want to imagine themselves involved in the story tend to skip those if they don't already understand the setting.

Try suggesting:
  • McCaffrey's Dragonrider books;
  • Bradley's Darkover series, esp. the Renunciates trilogy. (Shattered Chain, Thendara House, City of Sorcery)
  • Sheri S. Tepper's books; Gibbon's Decline and Fall if she likes modern "non-genre" literature, or Beauty if she's into history or folklore;
  • Connie Willis' Doomsday Book if she's involved in academia or medicine;
  • Spider & Jeanne Robinson's Starchild Trilogy if she's involved in dance (but not otherwise, if she's SF-averse);
  • Elgin's Native Tongue trilogy if she's interested in languages or politics;
  • Lichtenberg's Sime~Gen series if she enjoys vampire stories.

Quote:
What? Pffft. No. We only talk about vacuuming when we think men can hear us. We talk about shoes when we're alone.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #38
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I think that any girl who grew up when Star Trek was in its heyday "likes" science fiction. But it's like sports - we're not necessarily interested in every single stat on every single player of a team we like, so we don't really care about the mass/velocity/time computations that some authors love to include to add veracity, or the loving recreations of the firepower of each and every type of weaponry carried. We're reading the books from the estrogen POV, not the testosterone one.

We tend to take a holistic approach to the story, and look for the links, similarities and differences. We're curious as to the emotions of the characters and to what formed them into the beings they are. We can enjoy a fight as much as the next person, whether it's a space battle or one-on-one combat, but most of us never waged mock battles with squadrons of green army men when we were kids so we tend to look at the participants as individuals and not as mere cogs in the wheel. So endless battles, while entertaining to military historians, can quickly pall.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #39
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I think Xanthe explained very well how many (not all) women feel about science fiction.
GeckoFriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also recommend Bujold's Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Others that I think women would like include:

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series
Elizabeth Moon's Seranno/Suiza Series
Katherine Rusch's Retrieval Artist Series

My wife reads a lot of scifi and fantasy, so we have a great shared bookcase!
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Sexism and over generalization....alive and well.

Quote:
How 'bout that. That always surprises me on forums, when the user name isn't decidedly gender-identifiable....
Soo...on forums you just assume everyone is a man unless their handle makes it clear they're a lady? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
Girls at my local fantasy/SF club keep praising the books about Honor Harrington, by David Weber. Female protagonist.

Girls/women tend to dislike technical topics and science, so you're really looking for space opera, not hard SF.
Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
"Sci-fi that appeals to women" is a drastically different category from "sci-fi that appeals to people who don't normally read sci-fi."
AGREED.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #42
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Kea's Flight by John C Ricker and Erika Hammerschmidt. Amazon UK

A whole new take on population and abortion issues, set in a dystopian future not so far from our own. The standpoint from which the book is written is that of a young girl growing up with a perceived disability in a work in which potentially disabled foetuses are grown to birth date in an uterine replicator, then shipped off to a new planet, growing up on the spaceship. Thought provoking, well written, and even witty. Well worth getting.

This thread has provoked me to read this book again. Time well spent.

More science in this one:
Actually three books, set in the Liaden universe Fledgling, Saltation, and Ghost Ship, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. I was possibly influenced by the respect with which pilots are treated by the other characters. Again, a book with a teenage girl as the protagonist. Somewhat YA, but none the worse for that.
Baen and elsewhere
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Actually three books, set in the Liaden universe Fledgling, Saltation, and Ghost Ship, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. I was possibly influenced by the respect with which pilots are treated by the other characters. Again, a book with a teenage girl as the protagonist. Somewhat YA, but none the worse for that.
Baen and elsewhere
The fourth book, Dragon Ship, comes out in Sept. IIRC. It's out now as an e-Arc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #44
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I know Ursula Le Guin has already been mentioned, but I would like to recommend her also. I don't read a great deal of SF, and I'm certainly not interested in the technology and space battles sort of book.

I think Le Guin is a wonderful writer, and her books are really about relationships and the age-old dilemmas of being human. I'll second "The Left Hand of Darkness" in particular - a great book about understanding the "other". And for a short story, try "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas".
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #45
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post

Soo...on forums you just assume everyone is a man unless their handle makes it clear they're a lady? Really?
1. No, if you were paying attention, you'll note I sometimes assume they are the Cookie Monster.
2. No user name has made it clear anyone is a lady. Sometimes it makes it pretty clear they may be a woman, though.

Quote:
AGREED.
So, since you agree with that sexist generalization, I guess your opening line was a self reference.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote