Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Book (file) size

It looks like my EZ Reader 6" can not open large files. It is fine to open files up to 1.5 MB, but today i was trying to open a file that was 3 MB and the reader just froze. Another time the reader restarted by itself on opening the file that was about 2 MB. Is it just my reader or it is a known issue? Should i go ahead and re-format large books into multiple small files?

Thank you!
irenas
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
What type of file were you trying to open? Your reader opens different file types with different software. If it's anything like the PEz, it handles some more gracefully than others. How did you create the file? Do you have another large file of that type that you could try to open? It's possible that that particular file has something in it that chokes you reader.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
What kind of file are you trying to open? So far i have opened PDFs around 120MB and FB2 of 4 MB without problems.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
irenas
Zealot

I could not open .fb2 file of 3 MB
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Let me guess, you attempt to open the file and at some point you are automatically taken back to the bookshelf menu?

This I think I narrowed down on my PP to the version of Coolreader on the earlier firmwares had issues opening .fb2 files, regardless of size, which had embedded links and/or images. Any .fb2 I created using Calibre didn't work, though BookDesigner created .fb2 worked a treat.

This issue appears from all my testing to be resolved with the latest firmware which uses Coolreader3. This update is only for the PP at the moment, but I believe a 6" firmware update is coming (but don't quote me).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
You could just convert to ePub using Calibre, and rename it to fb2
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
irenas
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
You could just convert to ePub using Calibre, and rename it to fb2
I am not sure i understand you. I can convert to epub using Calibre, ok. Then why should i rename it to fb2? Is it a trick? And IF i rename, should i just change the file extention from myfile.epub to myfile.fb2 ? or myfile.epub.fb2?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
I am not sure i understand you. I can convert to epub using Calibre, ok. Then why should i rename it to fb2? Is it a trick? And IF i rename, should i just change the file extention from myfile.epub to myfile.fb2 ? or myfile.epub.fb2?

Thanks!
The latest Coolreader can read ePub books, although the PP bookshelf chooses to launch them in ADE. So, yes a trick is to rename it to .fb2, which will cause bookshelf to open it in Coolreader. Coolreader will discover it's really an epub and interpret it as such. because ePubs are different to native .fb2, that MIGHT avoid the problem you are seeing.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
irenas
Zealot

Interesting! Thank you!
Does it mean i need to install the latest firmware? I am on December one and after reading all the posts about the new firmware was not in a hurry...
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard

Yes, the latest Coolreader is in the latest firmware.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Also, it doesn't matter whether you rename it myfile.fb2 or myfile.epub.fb2--all that matters is that you use the .fb2 extension. That said, myfile.epub.fb2 has the advantage of letting you remember that it's an ePub file on the inside, set up to view with Coolreader.

That is, of course, after you've updated to the latest firmware.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
irenas
Zealot

I am waiting untill all bugs are fixed on the new upgrade...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Yes, a firmware upgrade for the 6 inch coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Let me guess, you attempt to open the file and at some point you are automatically taken back to the bookshelf menu?

This I think I narrowed down on my PP to the version of Coolreader on the earlier firmwares had issues opening .fb2 files, regardless of size, which had embedded links and/or images. Any .fb2 I created using Calibre didn't work, though BookDesigner created .fb2 worked a treat.

This issue appears from all my testing to be resolved with the latest firmware which uses Coolreader3. This update is only for the PP at the moment, but I believe a 6" firmware update is coming (but don't quote me).
Dear Irenas and Solicitous:

Yes, as FB2 has a lot to do with how the Coolreader works and vice-versa, the new firmware upgrade may well help. That new upgrade for the 6 inch will have the latest version of FB2 and Coolreader on it.

Thank you, Solicitous!!

I do not want to try to convince anyone to do something they do not want to do. All I can say is that Dale DePriest was the beta tester on this latest revised upgrade and there is no better person on eBook Readers than Dale. I think, from what I have heard, that problems have been related to the .LIT still not perfection (but somewaht better). The CoolReader and FB2 seem to be just fine.

Also, we know that you can try the new firmware upgrade. Save a copy of the December upgrade on your computer and then try the new one. You can always go back. BUT, most of what I have seen agree with Dale... the revised firmware upgrade (dated April 2, 2010) is a major step forward.

Last edited by Robertb; 04-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
irenas
Zealot

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
I am waiting untill all bugs are fixed on the new upgrade...
What about all the bugs in the firmware you are now using? There are always things to fix so you may wait forever.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote