Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Used to have multiple libraries, gonna change to a single one...

…what's the best format for a custom column to differentiate which books are for which user?

Presently I have separate libraries for me, my g/f, my daughter, my dad, etc. But this means a lot of duplication of books.

I was planning to merge everything into a single, big library, and use Virtual Libraries to manage each "user".

I was going to set up a custom column called "Libraries" and the entries would be "Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc.

Is this the best way to go about it?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The custom column approach should work fine. If going down that approach you want to make sure that you use a custom column type that allows you to store multiple values (like a tags column) so you can mark a book as belonging to more than one of your virtual libraries.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
…what's the best format for a custom column to differentiate which books are for which user?

Presently I have separate libraries for me, my g/f, my daughter, my dad, etc. But this means a lot of duplication of books.

I was planning to merge everything into a single, big library, and use Virtual Libraries to manage each "user".

I was going to set up a custom column called "Libraries" and the entries would be "Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc.

Is this the best way to go about it?
I would us a custom column 'Text with a Fixed set of values' ("Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc.) Pick names the start with different letters, then typing a single letter will Jump to the correct choice
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would us a custom column 'Text with a Fixed set of values' ("Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc.) Pick names the start with different letters, then typing a single letter will Jump to the correct choice
I tried that, but it doesn't allow for a book to exist in more than one library.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried that, but it doesn't allow for a book to exist in more than one library.
So True.

You could create a combined name.
The reason for use is to stop variations that happen with tags
Old 05-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

Virtual libraries would be fine.

To use custom columns you would need a separate column for each unique user, these columns can be hid after creation. Or tag each book in the existing libraries with "Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc... before combining the libraries. Using either method you can create a virtual library based on a search for each unique individual's tag or custom column entry.

Quote:
The reason for use is to stop variations that happen with tags
When entering tags for "Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc... there is little room for tag variation to occur.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-25-2013 at 05:37 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

When entering tags for "Me", "Mum", "Dad", etc... there is little room for tag variation to occur.
If the 'tags' were from a preset (existing lookup), that would be true.

Nothing in Calibre prevents you from creating more tags, simply by entering them (self updating lookup).
Myself,Mom,Pop,Mother,Father,I,You
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If the 'tags' were from a preset (existing lookup), that would be true.

Nothing in Calibre prevents you from creating more tags, simply by entering them (self updating lookup).
Myself,Mom,Pop,Mother,Father,I,You
That's true, but he's going to be entering these values by hand, not populating the field by metadata download. It takes only a minimal amount of discipline to keep from adding redundant tags, especially with the autocomplete on tag-based fields. And if he ever screws up, it's fairly easy to fix it with bulk metadata editing.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
That's true, but he's going to be entering these values by hand, not populating the field by metadata download. It takes only a minimal amount of discipline to keep from adding redundant tags, especially with the autocomplete on tag-based fields. And if he ever screws up, it's fairly easy to fix it with bulk metadata editing.
Discipline is good
But having a table of allowed values would be easier than having to go back and fix Fat Fingered values.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would use a custom column based on tags.

After adding all the books from all of the libraries I would use the check library duplicates function in the find dupicates plugin for each added library.

This will give you a list of all of the books that are in the main library that are also in another subset library, ie. mom, dad etc.

Then you could bulk edit to add the tag for that user.

Find library duplicates is very quick and the process should take less than 5 minutes per library to do and each book would have the appropriate tag(s)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote