Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Debricking PW 5.3?

I'm on a rooted Paperwhite 5.3 with USB Networking installed.

I fiddled around with a script in /etc/upstart. At first I got the expected result, but after what seemed like a mere cosmetic change, the device did a few failed boot attempts, and now it's at the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen. /mnt/us/ comes up shortly, but quickly goes away, even if I mount it.

Holding the power button for 20+ seconds didn't have a noticeable effect.

Any ideas? (All the suggestions I found didn't seem to apply to PW/5.3.)

Last edited by xor_; 12-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
I'm on a rooted Paperwhite 5.3 with USB Networking installed.

I fiddled around with a script in /etc/upstart. At first I got the expected result, but after what seemed like a mere cosmetic change, the device did a few failed boot attempts, and now it's at the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen. /mnt/us/ comes up shortly, but quickly goes away, even if I mount it.

Holding the power button for 20+ seconds didn't have a noticeable effect.

Any ideas? (All the suggestions I found didn't seem to apply to PW/5.3.)
Check the line endings of any script that you used an editor on (even if only to view).
Script line endings must be "Unix" not "Windows".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check the line endings of any script that you used an editor on (even if only to view).
Script line endings must be "Unix" not "Windows".
I made the changes under Linux, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I also have a backup of the original on the device. I just need access to restore it.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Did you install ixtab's Rescue Pack? If so just place the ENABLE_DIAGS file onto the USB accessible storage when your Kindle boots up (it is probably available for a really short time) and then go from there. If that is not the case I am not really sure how you would go about this.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
xor_
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
Did you install ixtab's Rescue Pack?
Unfortunately not, as I wasn't sure it applied to the PW 5.3.

I took the plunge now and opened the cover, which came off relatively well. Waiting for the right cable now to hook up to the serial console. But, yikes, those contacts are small. Will be tough to get a good connection without breaking anything.

Last edited by xor_; 12-04-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
Unfortunately not.

I took the plunge and opened the cover, which came off relatively well. Waiting for the right cable now to hook up to the serial console. But, yikes, those contacts are small. Will be tough to get a good connection without breaking anything.
I used some fine enameled wire to solder to the pads, the taped it down and folded it back over the tape, then again for another layer (strain relief). The I soldered my serial cable to those fine wires. No more pulling pads loose from the PCB just from moving the cable a little.

I got my wire by breaking open a dead CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) and removing wire from the choke coil inside it. There are some diodes in there you can use too, for a serial voltage level converter circuit.

I did that after accidentally removing the pads from one of my K4s, then again when I found another place to solder. Now that one is output only. My other previously opened kindles have the fine wire soldered into them, ready to go... I even have a diode inside one of them, so it can connect to 3.3v or 5v TTL serial...

Strain relief (using tape and fine wire) will go a long way to protecting those delicate serial port pads. It did for me.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA

@GM: Use a similar method with the tabs on your solar cells.

Mine arrived with silver tabs, folded flat against the back of the cell. Thinner than cheap aluminum foil, but silver foil.

For the wire, I use the teflon insulated wire used for wire-wrapping. Small spools in various colors available at such places as Radioshack (in the US).

Strip wires the width of the tab.

Lay flat against the back of the cell with stripped end crossing the width about an 1/8 inch from the end of the tab.

Secure wire in-place with a drop of your favorite "quick cure" adhesive. It isn't going to stick to the teflon, but just trap the wire in the droplet.

Find sewing needle with an eye longer than the tab is wide, mount in a pin vise.
Glue should be cured by the time you finish sneaking into wife's sewing supplies (send her to the store or something while you locate a needle).

Slide eye of needle over the end of the tab, then "roll" the tab over the stripped end of the wire. (remove needle from tab)

Touch with a bit of solder (silver solders GREAT and fast).

Add additional "strain relief" loops and drops of adhesive as desired.
Pick an adhesive that can stand high temperatures, all of the energy not converted to electricity converts to heat. The backs of these cells will get HOT.

- - - -

As you wrote elsewhere - adding hook-up wires to these solar cell tabs can be a challenge, but the above procedure has worked well for myself.

Last edited by knc1; 12-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
xor_
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Strain relief (using tape and fine wire) will go a long way to protecting those delicate serial port pads. It did for me.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind once I get my cable. The last serial port I worked on was definitely bigger. Think I'm getting officially old.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
wow, I got exactly the same problem yesterday. But I am so lucky that the Rescue Pack is installed by default when installing the "sweet puppy certificate".

So ixtab's hack saves my kindle for the second time ;p

Last edited by dave2008; 12-05-2012 at 12:35 AM.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@xor_: A bit late now, but, besides using ixtab's recue pack, it might also have been recoverable if USBNet was enabled at boot . (Or, if it weren't running 5.3, by using a tweaked 'ninja' jb [it's ine the JB package, and one is attached somewhere here, check my attachments list]).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote