Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Does this author even exist?

I saw an interview with the literary agent John Jarrold on Youtube, and was interested because he represents some really good f/sf authors. There was one author on his client list that sounded particularly intriguing, whose name is apparently John Marshall, who apparently writes a series called the Drakul. The premise of this supposed series is here:

http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/clients/wood-tim/

Now, not only is there no record of this author or books anywhere on Amazon UK or USA, he doesn't have a listing on FantasticFiction, Goodreads or anything else. And yet, this supposedly real author has an actual website. What the hell is going on? Or is John Jarrold just putting random names into his client list to make it look like he has more clients than in reality?

Here is a link to the author's website:

http://www.johnmarshallauthor.com/
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very odd indeed. The only Google hits are to this thread, and the web sites you posted links to!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very odd indeed. The only Google hits are to this thread, and the web sites you posted links to!
Try this
http://www.johnmarshallauthor.com/index.html

Oddly, I only see titles and plot lines, no links for buying. I have to wonder if he is simply looking for a publisher as opposed to having novels actually published.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-25-2014 at 07:44 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Try this
http://www.johnmarshallauthor.com/index.html

Oddly, I only see titles and plot lines, no links for buying. I have to wonder if he is simply looking for a publisher as opposed to having novels actually published.
Yes - that's what I said - the Google hits are to the author's own site, which is that site. There are no hits found anywhere else, other than this thread.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's really strange, puzzling. It's also rather frustrating, as the series sounds epic, and just the sort of thing I could get my teeth into. I wonder why the author hasn't self published the series while he's waiting to sell to a trad - publisher? David Dalglish and Michael J Sullivan self - published and the sold to trad - publishers, I don't see why this author couldn't, particularly given he's apparently written 4 books already, possibly five by now (if he even exists that is). Do you think if I contacted John Jarrold he would says what the status is, or would he just ignore any email that isn't a submission?
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

All it'll cost is an email to find out, especially given the fact that the agent is listed as the "contact" person for the author on his website.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Waylander
Fanatic

Yes, good point. I suppose the worst he can do is ignore whatever messages he gets sent.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Yes, good point. I suppose the worst he can do is ignore whatever messages he gets sent.
And you have to wonder about the logic of doing that. I mean if someone puts up a website complete with email it's usually because they want to be reachable.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But literary agents don't necessarily want to talk to members of the general public. I've contacted several authors via their agents, to ask questions about the availability of ebooks, and the results haven't been good. Got no response from Stephen Baxter's agent, for example. One who did reply to me (directly, not via his agent) was L. E. Modessit Jr, who was very helpful.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Waylander
Fanatic

Well, I fired off an email, and got a very quick response. Here it is:

Thanks for getting in touch. I am working on the sixth version of the first
book in the series even now (and a final revision of the series proposal).
Sometimes one edit does it - but it's extremely important to put a damn near
perfect version of a book in front of publishers, who might see thirty books
a week and only take on two debut novels over a full year. A point I make
to new writers all the time: it's not about getting it fast, it's about
getting it right. I used to publish Iain Banks and it took him well over
ten years of writing and submitting six different novels before he clinched
his first publishing deal.

So keep watching Amazon, Waterstones.com, etc, for the name and the series.
And there is always a press release on my website when a deal is done.

All best

John Jarrold
www.johnjarrold.co.uk

Seems like a nice guy judging by his response time and response content.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Waylander
Fanatic

And yes, I was slightly wary of contacting him for exactly the reasons Harry stated.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Wow, that was quick! I still think it's rather deceptive not to mention on the author's website the minor point that none of his books has actually been published .

Last edited by HarryT; 09-25-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Waylander
Fanatic

Yeah I thought that, and the author's website is also misleading, as it gives the impression that all the books are written, ready and out there, when they patently are not. Can't wait for when the first book is out though.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Yeah I thought that, and the author's website is also misleading, as it gives the impression that all the books are written, ready and out there, when they patently are not. Can't wait for when the first book is out though.
Had a peek, myself, and I think I could get into these should they see the light of day. Keep us informed, Waylander.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But literary agents don't necessarily want to talk to members of the general public. I've contacted several authors via their agents, to ask questions about the availability of ebooks, and the results haven't been good. Got no response from Stephen Baxter's agent, for example. One who did reply to me (directly, not via his agent) was L. E. Modessit Jr, who was very helpful.
LE Modesitt is not the ordinary author.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote