Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
directfb

i am trying to write an application for directfb but it seems unable to switch to 4 bpp mode, the mode required by the e-ink framebuffer to render properly.

it seems to be unable to use LUT4; instead insisting on LUT8.

does anyone know how to either switch the framebuffer to 8 bpp or coerce directfb into a 4 bpp mode?

thanks.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It doesn't even provide a definition of LUT4, does it? So LUT8 is probably all it provides (on API side). Did you check if LUT8 works out of the box? Or maybe what IDirectFB::EnumVideoModes provides?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

no LUT4

LUT8 doesn't work.
the framebuffer only has 4bpp, so it ends up rendering everything at 2x magnification with white stripes (from the extra bits) between the lines.
i'm working on forcing A4 by mmap()ing the framebuffer to a surface but it's being....well, a computer about it. :]
Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
fbdev
fbdev

fixed (kind of)

what i wanted most was anti-aliased fonts (they're gorgeous with this hack!).
anti-aliasing needs A8 pixel format.
i created a surface:

einkdsc.flags
= DSDESC_CAPS|DSDESC_WIDTH|DSDESC_HEIGHT
|DSDESC_PIXELFORMAT|DSDESC_PREALLOCATED;
einkdsc.caps = 0;
einkdsc.width = 600;
einkdsc.height = 800;
einkdsc.pixelformat = DSPF_A8;
einkdsc.preallocated[0].data = screenbuffer;
einkdsc.preallocated[0].pitch = 600;
einkdsc.preallocated[1].data = screenbuffer;
einkdsc.preallocated[1].pitch = 600;
dfb->CreateSurface(dfb,&einkdsc,&eink);

then mmap()ed the framebuffer:
framebuffer
= mmap(NULL,(800 * 600) / 2,PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_SHARED,fb,0);

and i blit between the two:

void fbblit(char* dst,char* src)
{
unsigned aa;
aa = 0;
for(;
{
dst[aa] = ((src[aa * 2] & 0xf) << 4) | (src[1 + (aa * 2)] & 0xf);
dst[aa] ^= 0xff;
++aa;
if(((600 * 800) / 2) == aa) break;
}
}
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hm. I really wonder how the Amazon stack does this. I think I'll put v3 on my Kindle DX this weekend and try myself (2.x firmware doesn't seem to include a ready-built DirectFB). But please update this thread if you stumble upon more information, much appreciated.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It appears that my kindle 4 (no keyboard) uses 8 bpp. The Touch is probably the same.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote