Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Isn't this book the third of the series? I didn't read the other two, is this one independent/stand alone, or should I really read the first two?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Isn't this book the third of the series? I didn't read the other two, is this one independent/stand alone, or should I really read the first two?
The Warrior's Apprentice was also the second published in the series, as the publishing order doesn't always match up with the series' chronology. If you want to start off with this before the others, you won't necessarily go wrong. Reading Shards of Honor (1st) and Barrayar (2nd) first will help you to understand Miles' culture and background better , but The Warrior's Apprentice itself is a fairly straightforward, fast-paced adventure. That said, once finishing this one, it's my opinion that if you go chronologically in the series and read The Mountains of Mourning next (4th), the story won't mean much to you unless you've already read Barrayar. If you choose to skip this and go straight to The Vor Game (5th) on the other hand, you'll still be okay.

Also, Shards of Honor and Barrayar are stories that focus on Miles' parents. Some would consider them prequels to Miles' adventures. Some are also wary of the romance in Shards of Honor, which Bujold nevertheless writes very naturally. (Barrayar is just plain fantastic.) Anyway, if you take this angle, you could choose to come back to these first two books later.

Last edited by viviena; 08-07-2010 at 10:10 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Thanks for your input I guess I'd better read the other two book, I'd hate to feel I'm missing something.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
http://www.webscription.net/p-481-young-miles.aspx

Includes The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountains of Mourning, and The Vor Game should you want to consider getting all three for $5 instead.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Vorkosigan saga suggested reading order, arranging the books in chronological order rather than publishing order.

I read them in almost this order; Falling Free is not directly connected to the early Miles books and it's mostly important to read it before Diplomatic Immunity. (It might've been nice to read it before "Labyrinth," but I didn't.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert