Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Kindle or Nook?

Alright, so i just bought a prs 300 and i love it. Its my mobile reader that im going to take on the bus and leave in my backpack. But i want something more feature-rich, bigger screen, etc to leave at home. Im in canada though so if i get the nook id have to ebay it and i dunno which features wont work, also ill have to wait for a couple months .
Do u guys think i should just get a kindle 2 or wait for the nook? and do u guys think the nook will go international soon? and if it does will my non international one still work in canada if i bought it before?
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think the Nook will ever go worldwide, but it might come to Canada and WiFi should work anywhere.

The other option, particularly if you like your PRS-300, is the Sony Daily Edition. This is likely to come to Canada at some point.

All three devices (Kindle, Nook, PRS-900) use AT&T for 3G, and so the hardware should work "as is" in Canada, providing the vendors setup deals with wireless providers.

If you go with the Kindle 2, then you will have to convert between AZW (MOBI) and ePub (stripping DRM) to move ebooks between devices, but this does give you access to both Amazon and Sony/Adobe ebook stores. TOPAZ ebooks will have to be read on the Kindle or Kindle 4 PC (or avoided).

We don't yet know if Nook ePub DRM can be circumvented, even though the related standard Adobe ePub DRM and eReader DRM have both been circumvented. If not then you would be locked out of the B&N store if you also want to read on your PRS-300, but the Nook will read standard Adobe ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
arekieh
Connoisseur

Why cant they just have a standard and save us all the hassle lol.

Alot of my ebooks are in txt's, htmls and pdf's. the html's and pdf's i copy pasted and fixed into txt's to then convert into epub or lrf onto my sony. does the kindle display txt's well?

Im really not picky. i dont mind having little page number breaks and stuff. I just hate large fonts and having to flip pages every 2 seconds. As long as spacing is good and no wierd glitches im fine
Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
Alot of my ebooks are in txt's, htmls and pdf's. the html's and pdf's i copy pasted and fixed into txt's to then convert into epub or lrf onto my sony. does the kindle display txt's well?
The Kindle can read .txt files, but I have always used MOBIs. If you used Calibre in creating your LRF and ePub, then it can also make MOBI for the Kindle. If not, it can still convert your DRM-free LRFs and ePubs to MOBI. It does a good job on ePub to MOBI, I don't know about LRF to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
arekieh
Connoisseur

:/, the nook just looks awesome because of the extra screen and the fact that it runs android, but i guess itll be alot less "useful" if i cant use any of the good functions because im in canada. I think im just gonna grab a Kindle 2 for now and hopefully if the nook comes to canada ill sell it and grab a nook.

Thanks for the info
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the format war is the fault of the publishers. They let device makers and retailers come up with DRM schemes when they should have got together by now and decided the issue.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Inner
Inner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Don't forget that because of the touch screen, the nooks battery life will get reduced. I guess depends on how often you will use it. The other thing it's 0.5 inch thick. No web browser etc. I was a bit dazzled by the nook until I learned of the differences, and got my hands on the kindle from a friend and tried it. Yes the kindle isn't perfect, but it wins over with all the features. Do read this blog it might help you make up your mind. http://ireaderreview.com/
Inner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
arekieh
Connoisseur

didnt think about battery life :/
Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
B&N claims 10 days of battery life with the wifi turned off, which is more than fine for me.

I'm going for a nook over the Kindle mainly for the user-replaceable battery, ePub support, connecting to my local public library network, and the expandable memory. The Kindle is certainly nice, but I think in the long run I'll enjoy the nook a bit more. I think it looks a little nicer as well.

I don't need a web browser on it (I just want to read books), but I bet they offer some kind of simplified browser support at some point.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
arekieh
Connoisseur

To be honest i have my blackberry with me. So all the internet stuff is really irrelevant, i just want a screen a bit bigger than my prs 300, with smaller fonts, and easy to use. prs 300 is nice but its a bit too portable
Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
I meant to mention that I have a Blackberry as well (plus one of my laptops are usually nearby). That's why I'm not worried about having a web browser on it.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
arekieh
Connoisseur

ya lol, Blackberry's are awesome . Its kinda bad but i depend on that thing alot.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
arekieh
Connoisseur

what about the irex iliad? how does that compare? and are there any higher end larger screen ebook readers i should be looking at? Id like to keep it under $300 but id go a bit higher, this is not going to be a portable reader, itll be staying at home, so if its a bit big/heavy not the biggest deal.

Edit* lol, forget about the iliad, just checked and its $700 usd :O
Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
Alright, so i just bought a prs 300 and i love it. Its my mobile reader that im going to take on the bus and leave in my backpack. But i want something more feature-rich, bigger screen, etc to leave at home. Im in canada though so if i get the nook id have to ebay it and i dunno which features wont work, also ill have to wait for a couple months .
Do u guys think i should just get a kindle 2 or wait for the nook? and do u guys think the nook will go international soon? and if it does will my non international one still work in canada if i bought it before?
Given the choices between nook and Kindle, go with Sony Reader PRS-900.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
arekieh
Connoisseur

Do u know how much its supposed to cost?
Edit*,
Nvm $400, but it looks pretty sweet. Wireless probably wont work in canada though?