Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #46
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
sheesh, i go away for just a few hours and look what happens !! a whole new thread, which i can barely understand.

but if we're complaining about linguistic travesties, i'd like to submit travesty, precisely, which DOES NOT MEAN TRAGEDY !!! (although apparently y'aull knouws that alreaudy).
tragedy > travesty > majesty
I sware thair is sumpting gowing owun amungst the omenz tudaiy. The end mite be upoun uus. RUUUUN!!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #47
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
sheesh, i go away for just a few hours and look what happens !! a whole new thread, which i can barely understand.

but if we're complaining about linguistic travesties, i'd like to submit travesty, precisely, which DOES NOT MEAN TRAGEDY !!! (although apparently y'aull knouws that alreaudy).
Now your just getting all "high-browed" on us, Zelda! Travesty/Tragedy it's all in where you emphasize (or is it, emphasise) your syllables. We Americans like to use our words in as many ways as possible. The less words we use, the less words we have to learn to spell correctly!

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #48
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think I need an aspirin.

Can you imagine what Microsoft Text-to-Speech would do with DixieGal's posts? It would probably make as much sense as I can make out of them until I spend about three minutes working out each sentence.

Bravo, DG! Even if you do make my head hurt!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #49
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
From Ellison, Ellison & Harlan
Dear Forum Members (American sub-category)

I, Harlan Ellison, that God amongst men, that genius of the written word and all round suer of the wrong, have been taken on by Her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II - to make this official complaint.

As you know, I, Harlan Ellsion, that God amongst men, that genius of the written word and all round suer of the wrong, have copyrighted all ideas from the moment just after the Big Bang until the End of Time(tm). In conjunction with her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II - I am now issuing a DMCA complaint against any American who continues to use English (the alphabet having been copyrighted by me also).

If you wish to continue using "American-English" then you must pay royalties to me and Her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II. Rates are included below:

Up to 500 words - $1

500 - 5,000 words - $10

5,0000 words and above $50

I think you'll agree that these fees are quite reasonable, and that I, Harlan Ellison, deserve every penny because I am a god amongst men and all round perfect human being.

Yours
Harlan *God of all* Ellison
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #50
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think I need an aspirin.

Can you imagine what Microsoft Text-to-Speech would do with DixieGal's posts? It would probably make as much sense as I can make out of them until I spend about three minutes working out each sentence.

Bravo, DG! Even if you do make my head hurt!

Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #51
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
From Ellison, Ellison & Harlan
Dear Forum Members (American sub-category)

I, Harlan Ellison, that God amongst men, that genius of the written word and all round suer of the wrong, have been taken on by Her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II - to make this official complaint.

As you know, I, Harlan Ellsion, that God amongst men, that genius of the written word and all round suer of the wrong, have copyrighted all ideas from the moment just after the Big Bang until the End of Time(tm). In conjunction with her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II - I am now issuing a DMCA complaint against any American who continues to use English (the alphabet having been copyrighted by me also).

If you wish to continue using "American-English" then you must pay royalties to me and Her Maj - Queen Elizabeth II. Rates are included below:

Up to 500 words - $1

500 - 5,000 words - $10

5,0000 words and above $50

I think you'll agree that these fees are quite reasonable, and that I, Harlan Ellison, deserve every penny because I am a god amongst men and all round perfect human being.

Yours
I'm sorry, Harlan, old buddy, but we here in da US no longer uze da Queen's English. Wez uze a new and improved version. Now got get yourself a pop and calm down. Oh, and get the Queenie one, too. On me.

Kaz
Old 04-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #52
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:

Yours

Deer Harlot:
I tol'ju peeple lazt weak thet the chick is in the male. Quitcher hasslin'.
Up Yerz,
Dixie (The Snacker of Nations) Gal
Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #53
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

One is not amused!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #54
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:

One is not amused!

HRM thinks lunch smells somebody's feet!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #55
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Probably Philip's
Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #56
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #57
DixieGal
Hi There!

If such a thing is possible ...

Did I tell y'all that I dreamed the other night that the Queen was my Granny, but sort of the opposite way around?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #58
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I'm sorry, Harlan, old buddy, but we here in da US no longer uze da Queen's English. Wez uze a new and improved version. ...

Kaz
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #59
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
If such a thing is possible ...

Did I tell y'all that I dreamed the other night that the Queen was my Granny, but sort of the opposite way around?
You were the Queen's Granny?

And talking about language variants and meanings. Where I come from it's quite regular for Grandparents to take on the names "Mother" and "Father" instead of Granddad, Grandmother. Get's confusing at X-Mas though
Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #60
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll
Too, too true! And in America, we give 'em a couple of rib kicks to get the point across once their unconscious!! Gosh, I LOVE my Country!!

Kaz