Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2024, 11:33 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC but dont quote me on this libprs500 was renamed to calibre around 2008 version 0.6
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:24 PM   #17
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
https://web.archive.org/web/20091128....com/whats-new

a while ago this got me curious, then I found this early 0.6 changelog
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 12:31 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Surprised how little the site design has changed. (And it's not even that dated-looking.)
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Decent designs never look dated, but fads and fashion is quickly dated.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:08 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Decent designs never look dated, but fads and fashion is quickly dated.
I just wear what I like and find comfortable. I'm not the latest fasion unless it's something I want.

I did run LibPRS500 way back when because I had a PRS500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 08:20 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can anyone else replicate this bug?

This saved search indefinitely freezes Calibre when running from source (eventually I kill process), but not on stable:

Code:
template:"""program: has_extra_files()#@#:b:yes"""
Old 03-06-2024, 08:32 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

This saved search indefinitely freezes Calibre when running from source (eventually I kill process), but not on stable:

Code:
It doesn't hang on my computer but since no extra files, it also returns no results.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:48 PM   #23
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Code:
Yes I see a hiccup, I too have this saved search. Although in my case this was not an indefinite freeze, it took like 10 seconds to show the only 6 titles in my library that contain data files. Then I ran it on stable Calibre and it took more or less the same time to return the results.

edit: takes more like 15 to 17 seconds.

On the other hand, I have a "has author notes" python search kindly provided by C.haley, that runs very fast, returning 4600 titles almost instantly:

Spoiler:
template:"""python:
def evaluate(book, context):
db = context.db.new_api
authors_with_notes = context.globals.get('authors_with_notes')
if authors_with_notes is None:
print('authors notes is none')
authors_with_notes = db.get_all_items_that_have_notes('authors')
context.globals['authors_with_notes'] = authors_with_notes
context.globals['item_name_map'] = db.get_item_name_map('authors')
item_name_map = context.globals['item_name_map']
for aut in book.authors:
if item_name_map.get(aut) in authors_with_notes:
return '1'
return ''#@#:b:True"""

Last edited by Comfy.n; 03-06-2024 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add more precise timing
Old 03-06-2024, 09:24 PM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I have about 60 books with data files (mostly alternative covers, or backups of the covers for fanfics). It takes about 5-7 seconds to load the search on stable Calibre, less if I'm in a VL.

Further tests I noticed on source the indefinite freeze is less likely to occur if I'm in a VL.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-06-2024 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:16 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It doesn't freeze for me, using current source and in debug mode.

The only library I have with extra files is small, 100 books. The search is near instantaneous. On a large library with 77,000 books but no extra files the search takes a few seconds.

The function will take a while to run. It must look in every book folder to see if there is a non-empty data subfolder. The answer is cached so the future runs will be faster. The cache is cleared whenever an operation changes the contents of one of the folders.

Of note: has_extra_files() is not affected by the changes I made to get_metadata(). It doesn't use it.

Questions:
  • What happens if you are running in debug mode?
  • How long did you wait? Does it eventually finish if you wait a long time?
  • Is it using the processor?
  • Is it using the disk/ssd?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:50 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some tests on my 77,500-book library.

With no data files at all, repeated runs took an average of 18.5 seconds. There was one outlier that took 30 seconds, which I think happened because my cloud auto-backup daemon kicked in.

With 40, 50, and 60 data files it took an average of 18.7 seconds, with no significant outliers.

I tried this python template that marks matched books instead of using search. It is slower, taking around 1.5 seconds longer than the search. I am sure that the difference is in the GUI refresh to show the marks, but I didn't do the work to verify it.

Code:
python:
	from calibre.db.constants import DATA_FILE_PATTERN
    from time import monotonic
    start = monotonic()
	count = 0;
    db = context.db
    db.data.set_marked_ids(set())
    db = db.new_api
    found = set()
	for id_ in db.all_book_ids():
		files = tuple(f.relpath.partition('/')[-1] for f in
			db.list_extra_files(id_, use_cache=True, pattern=DATA_FILE_PATTERN))
		if len(files) > 0:
			#print(f'{id_}: {files}')
			count += 1
            found.add(id_)
    context.db.data.set_marked_ids(found)
	return (f'template search time: {monotonic() - start:.2f}, {count}')
All these tests are on Windows 10 Pro, 16GB Ram, an Intel Core i7-10710U CPU, a 512GB SSD, MS Defender A/V, and current calibre source running in debug mode. I have the following plugins installed:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	206769

Bottom line: I can't reproduce a hang. The process can take several seconds. I think the process will slow down significantly if the computer is memory-challenged or if there are other processes competing for the CPU. In particular, an anti-virus that monitors file accesses could greatly affect performance because multiple accesses are required to check each book.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:22 AM   #27
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I did some tests on my 77,500-book library.

With no data files at all, repeated runs took an average of 18.5 seconds. There was one outlier that took 30 seconds, which I think happened because my cloud auto-backup daemon kicked in.

With 40, 50, and 60 data files it took an average of 18.7 seconds, with no significant outliers.

I tried this python template that marks matched books instead of using search. It is slower, taking around 1.5 seconds longer than the search. I am sure that the difference is in the GUI refresh to show the marks, but I didn't do the work to verify it.

Code:
python:
    start = monotonic()
	count = 0;
    db = context.db
    db = db.new_api
    found = set()
		if len(files) > 0:
			count += 1
            found.add(id_)
	return (f'template search time: {monotonic() - start:.2f}, {count}')
All these tests are on Windows 10 Pro, 16GB Ram, an Intel Core i7-10710U CPU, a 512GB SSD, MS Defender A/V, and current calibre source running in debug mode. I have the following plugins installed:
Attachment 206769

Bottom line: I can't reproduce a hang. The process can take several seconds. I think the process will slow down significantly if the computer is memory-challenged or if there are other processes competing for the CPU. In particular, an anti-virus that monitors file accesses could greatly affect performance because multiple accesses are required to check each book.
I copied the python code above and added the prefix template:""" as well as the ending """.
I wanted to compare timings to the GPM mode, but I get an error while trying this search. I mean, the search bar gets red. :\

Spoiler:
template:"""python:
start = monotonic()
count = 0;
db = context.db
db = db.new_api
found = set()
if len(files) > 0:
count += 1
found.add(id_)
return (f'template search time: {monotonic() - start:.2f}, {count}')"""
Old 03-07-2024, 08:25 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I copied the python code above and added the prefix template:""" as well as the ending """. I wanted to compare timings to the GPM mode, but I get an error while trying this search.
That template can't be used as a template search. It returns the wrong things. To run it, use the template tester.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:43 AM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

My steps:

1. Restarted in debug mode.
2. Switched to 'all books.'
3. Opened the task manager and put the window on top.
4. Clicked my 'has extra files' saved search.

Observations:

1. Disk usage on my library disk went to 100%.
2. No noticable increase of CPU usage.
3. The search completed after about 10-15 seconds.

The debug log didn't show anything really, just all the usual startup messages.

I repeated the steps except not in debug mode. Same results. I did reboot overnight, so maybe something else was interfering and causing the freeze.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-07-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:20 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I repeated the steps except not in debug mode. Same results. I did reboot overnight, so maybe something else was interfering and causing the freeze.
Something I really hated when I worked in IT was telling someone to reboot their computer. Very often it "fixed" the problem so was pretty much the first thing we had the user try but no help in figuring out what the root issue was.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote