Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Winter Olympics

Anyone watching the Winter Olympics? I'm looking at the Big Air skiing and it's amazing to me how anyone has the nerve to even attempt something like this.

I don't like that all the athletes are wearing identical vests. It makes it harder to see who's who. At least the figure skaters are still wearing their traditional sparkly outfits
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Anyone watching the Winter Olympics? I'm looking at the Big Air skiing and it's amazing to me how anyone has the nerve to even attempt something like this.

I don't like that all the athletes are wearing identical vests. It makes it harder to see who's who. At least the figure skaters are still wearing their traditional sparkly outfits
Some of the Olympic sports. Women's and men's hockey, a bit of figure skating. Big Air skiing because it's hard to believe that they don't have casualty lists.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Yep, and I'm cheering for Norway.

I prefer events that involve distance and time. I don't like events that score on form (with the exception of ski jumping).

Personal favs include biathlon, ski jumping, luge, curling, alpine skiing, speed skating, hockey and the Jamaican bobsled team.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m not watching. I’m anti-Olympics; I think they’re insanely expensive, highly jingoistic, falsely promote sports as a higher calling and shouldn’t be subsidized. I think elite sports should exist only to the extent they pay for themselves as entertainment. And I don’t watch tv anyway.

All of that said, I’d like to see Nathan Chen win the gold medal. Remember what Emerson said about consistency! Chen seems charming to me and he’s going back to college next August. But other than Chen, I know nothing about what’s going on at all.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have been watching some of the figure skating. So far the women's has been the team competition. Kamila Valieva was amazing, not only for her record jumps but for her brilliant overall skating.

I forgot to set dvr for the men's figure skating short program last night but I saw some of them on youtube later. Nathan Chen (USA) and Yuma Kagiyama (Japan) were great.

Nathan Chen:
https://youtu.be/MXrOQTwX5CA

Yuma Kagiyama:
https://youtu.be/66GPtdsz3Y0

Jason Brown (USA, 6th place):
https://youtu.be/2OTw0xdajSw

Kamila Valieva short program (ROC):
https://youtu.be/ZVpjFdf5l8c

Karen Chen (USA):
https://youtu.be/6gzj5-kklzM
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We get frustrated with the current crop of country/political issues. But we do like watching the various sports that aren't normally available to watch. TV is generally just drek...we watch very little of current popular shows and movies.

I love watching Curling, skating, snowboarding, it's all fun, and a nice diversion since we've been stuck at home so much since we moved. So we are enjoying the few weeks of unusual sports, as we wait for baseball.

Which is an entirely different conversation.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
as we wait for baseball.

Which is an entirely different conversation.
Dang lockout. Usually at this time of year, I’m counting down the days until the pitchers and catchers report for spring training. It’s the next event after Groundhog Day on the march to better weather.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:48 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Dang lockout. Usually at this time of year, I’m counting down the days until the pitchers and catchers report for spring training. It’s the next event after Groundhog Day on the march to better weather.
MLB seems determined to mess up another season. The owners all knew December was approaching, and that contract was expiring. And, the owners could end the lockout without a contract.

Cleveland would have been on their way to Arizona a week ago.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
MLB seems determined to mess up another season. The owners all knew December was approaching, and that contract was expiring. And, the owners could end the lockout without a contract.

Cleveland would have been on their way to Arizona a week ago.
It’s so stupid and self-defeating. And now we’ve just had the HoF vote and all the issues that reaired.

The Yankees of course play in the Grapefruit League. Used to the Guardians name yet?
Old 02-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s so stupid and self-defeating. And now we’ve just had the HoF vote and all the issues that reaired.

The Yankees of course play in the Grapefruit League. Used to the Guardians name yet?
No, not used to The Guardians. I've no issue with the change, I suppose it was time, but don't really understand how The Braves and The Chiefs are still ok. It's just a little confusing, and depending on which background story is accurate, was never meant to be demeaning or racist. But there doesn't seem to be equal handling amongst the teams with such names.

It's not something I've studied in depth.

What I don't like about the Guardians is the logo. It looks like it was drawn by a 4th grader. And that the front office won't open their wallet.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 02-08-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Some of the Olympic sports. Women's and men's hockey, a bit of figure skating. Big Air skiing because it's hard to believe that they don't have casualty lists.
I've never even tried basic normal skiing because I'm a klutz and would probably hurt myself. I can't even imagine skiing backwards down a long steep ramp, flying off a high jump and doing flips and twists! I've seen several crash landings tonight and they all get up and walk away but that has to hurt.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:56 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've never even tried basic normal skiing because I'm a klutz and would probably hurt myself. I can't even imagine skiing backwards down a long steep ramp, flying off a high jump and doing flips and twists! I've seen several crash landings tonight and they all get up and walk away but that has to hurt.
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's, my church class had an overnight get-a-way at a somewhat local ski resort. My husband and I never skied, many of the couples were just going for the social aspect.

One of my friends had her ski equipment and offered to let me try it. An hour later, after 20+ falls and struggling to get back up, I said thanks, and went back inside. Never had a notion to try it again.

I was in good shape then, but pretty much hated every second. Not being able to get back up by myself was a major frustration. That's not fluffy snow you fall on, it's rock hard.

My youngest son and his wife take the 3 boys sometimes, they all love it.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Although I have great respect for the talent, skill, agility, and years of practice and honing that goes into Olympic sports, I'm just not into it. Simply not my cup of tea, so to speak. Today it seems to be more about politics than anything else. And I feel that only the athletes with substantial financial backing have a chance to even get there. The poor kid growing up with little money has about a snowball's chance in heck of getting there unless they really luck out. So my guess is that we are not really seeing the best of the best compete. We are likely only seeing the best of the well connected and financially capable compete. So meh...

Same with college level and professional sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc., just not my cup of tea any more. When I was young I watched sporting events on TV, but today it seems like you have to be a lawyer to understand all the rules, and it is no longer about sporting competition, it is all about profits and over paid, spoiled brats who compete. You have to mortgage your house to afford tickets now. Baseball was good when you went to the stadium to watch in person, but I would rather watch grass grow than watch a long, drawn out, boring game on TV.

So to each their own of course, but I rarely watch much in the way of sporting events any more.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:28 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's, my church class had an overnight get-a-way at a somewhat local ski resort. My husband and I never skied, many of the couples were just going for the social aspect.

One of my friends had her ski equipment and offered to let me try it. An hour later, after 20+ falls and struggling to get back up, I said thanks, and went back inside. Never had a notion to try it again.

I was in good shape then, but pretty much hated every second. Not being able to get back up by myself was a major frustration. That's not fluffy snow you fall on, it's rock hard.

My youngest son and his wife take the 3 boys sometimes, they all love it.
A friend once invited me to join her and her family for a day trip to a ski resort. They would have paid for my ticket and everything but I turned it down because I already knew I would end up doing just what you described! Plus I was in my 40s by then so I would've been less resilient.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #15
ianthe06
ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I like to watch sports generally and I also watch the Winter Olympics.
I don't really know much about any of the winter sports - I have never skied or snowboarded myself - but I find it interesting to figure out the rules and specifics of each discipline.

So far I have watched bits of snowboarding in the half pipe, curling, biathlon, skiathlon, figure skating, big air skiing, short track, speed skating, alpine skiing...

I do like the summer games better though. The sports are more familiar to me and the athletes are not so hooded and masked
ianthe06 is offline   Reply With Quote