Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Conversion loses Umlaute (ü, ö, ä)

Hello,
I´ve got a few epub in german (where umlauts are present) but if I convert it with "convert books" to mobi (to read it on my kindle) ä changes to a, ü to u and ö to o.
That makes it very difficult to read.
Since the umlauts are included in the original documents - how can I keep this in the conversion?

Thanks
ILB

enclosed an example epub with umlauten
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ein Sommernachtsmarchen - xkatjafx.epub (54.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by ILB; 07-09-2016 at 04:57 PM.
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert to KF8. It could be an issue with Mobi being obsolete.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
Hello,
I´ve got a few epub in german (where umlauts are present) but if I convert it with "convert books" to mobi (to read it on my kindle) ä changes to a, ü to u and ö to o.
That makes it very difficult to read.
Since the umlauts are included in the original documents - how can I keep this in the conversion?

Thanks
ILB

enclosed an example epub with umlauten
Be sure the Books Language is set properly (DE) in the metadata

did you review (and adjust) the conversion options ?
(Conversion:mobi or AZW3) Look and Fee:Text (tab): (not ticked) Transliterate Unicode to ASCII

AZW3 is the better (modern) choice unless you have a really old (K1,K2)Kindle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Be sure the Books Language is set properly (DE) in the metadata

did you review (and adjust) the conversion options ?
(Conversion:mobi or AZW3) Look and Fee:Text (tab): (not ticked) Transliterate Unicode to ASCII

AZW3 is the better (modern) choice unless you have a really old (K1,K2)Kindle
Thanks!
The "not ticked" on "Transliterate Unicode to ASCII" solved my problem.
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You presumably turned on the option to Transliterate unicode characters in the Look & Feel->Text section of the conversion dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert