Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
joerg.herzinger
joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Question Multi language e-book stores

I recently got myself a Kobo GLO and until now I just read free ebooks but now I want to do more and stumbled around a seemingly simple problem: Pretty much all book stores are single language. I would like to buy mostly english books, but some also in german.
How do you deal with such a problem? Amazon? Well, Amazon would be a solution but I am using Linux only and can't find a way to download those ebooks. Buying from multiple stores would be a solution, but I kind of would prefer one single store. Also, buying from multiple stores usually means having to convert between formats (azw to epub, nook to epub...) and I am not sure about the quality of conversion.
Any tips??
joerg.herzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerg.herzinger View Post
I recently got myself a Kobo GLO and until now I just read free ebooks but now I want to do more and stumbled around a seemingly simple problem: Pretty much all book stores are single language. I would like to buy mostly english books, but some also in german.
How do you deal with such a problem? Amazon? Well, Amazon would be a solution but I am using Linux only and can't find a way to download those ebooks. Buying from multiple stores would be a solution, but I kind of would prefer one single store. Also, buying from multiple stores usually means having to convert between formats (azw to epub, nook to epub...) and I am not sure about the quality of conversion.
Any tips??
Err.. Kobo sell german books.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Err.. Kobo sell german books.
Yep, lots of them
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon books download via a browser, if you are doing it via a pc. Should work fine on Linux.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Amazon books download via a browser, if you are doing it via a pc. Should work fine on Linux.
I'm pretty sure they only offer that option when you have a Kindle, otherwise you have to use the Kindle for PC program.
Kindle for PC does however work fine with the current version of WINE.
But be aware that you can't read Amazon#s books on the Kobo if they have DRM and I don't think you can see on Amazon's (german?) page whether they do. And even without DRM I don't know whether the Kobo reads Amazons .azw files without converting them with Calibre first.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, a Kobo reader won't read Amazon books, without removing the DRM and converting first. Unless you can root it and install the Kindle for Android app, or similar.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I don't have a Kobo, but found it difficult to navigate the Kobo site for foreign books, especially because Kobo refuses to let me go to the German or French store - it always redirects me to the US store. I hate it when websites do that.

What I personally do is browse amazon.de, amazon.fr and amazon.es for book suggestions, then enter the title in the US site (my Kindle account is registered in the US, so it's the only Amazon store that I can purchase books from). Some books are not available here, but most/ very many German ones are. Also, when you click on an author's name on amazon, it shows you all their books, including all the translations that you can buy.

I work on Windows, so things may be much easier for me, and I run the books through Calibre anyway (it takes only the press of a button), so the format does not really matter to me. Amazon is the only store that at least does not hinder me from buying the foreign language books I want.

If you read a lot, I would also suggest getting a US libarary card - there are a few that let non-residents do it for a small yearly fee. That would cover the English books.

Last edited by xendula; 02-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
You should be able to reach the German and French Kobo store through a proxy or VPN. I believe there are lots of free options available out there.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote