Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
readaholic
readaholic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one should I buy?

Sorry, it is an old question but nevertheless I'm still struggling. I've read pages and pages of different reviews and unable to make a decision. I have a few criteria:

1. Screen should be at least 6" (7" is even better)
2. I should be able to read books in English and Russian
3. I am a pack rat when it comes to books, so I should be able to store a lot.
4. I should be able to organize an search books in some way
5. Dictionary will be appreciated
6. I would like to have page numbers

I don't really care about bells and whistles, I will not be listening to the music or watching videos. I will be reading books, but I would like to do it comfortably.

Any advice will be appreciated.
readaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Currently, I'd recommend the Sony T1. If you want lots of books, it has collections to hemp organise them and a search function.

I'm using a Kobo right now, and I like it, but collections aren't here yet, so I don't think it's right for you.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
readaholic, I think most of the current readers will meet your criteria.
Maybe you can tell us a little bit more about yourself, where you live, a possible price range...

In general I would advice you two readers from russian speaking companies, the Onyx Boox A60 or the Pocketbook 612.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, Pocketbook, which is based in Ukraine, has excellent Russian support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
readaholic

"Currently, I'd recommend the Sony T1."
Thanks. I asked Sony Live Support and unfortunately, Sony T1 doesn't not support txt and Word formats (majority of Russian free books are in these formats). It supports PDF format, but even in this case, Sony can't guarantee that Russian characters will be displayed correctly.
I'm still on the lookout.

Last edited by readaholic; 02-18-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: to add quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
readaholic

"Maybe you can tell us a little bit more about yourself, where you live, a possible price range..."
Sorry, I was so focused on my question that I failed to provide sufficient info. I'm in Canada. I would like to spend not more than $200.

Last edited by readaholic; 02-18-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: to add quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
readaholic

Kindle Touch?

What about Kindle Touch?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by readaholic View Post
What about Kindle Touch?
It supports Cyrillic.

As for page numbers, only some books will have them (Kindle page numbers are designed to match the page numbers of a given paper version). All books will have location numbers.

It has "collections" as a way to organize books and you can also search for a book from the home screen.

It has very nice dictionary support, at least in english not sure about other languages.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
readaholic

Thanks Brian,

I think I'll read more about Kindle. I know for sure that Touch will display books in Russian.

Irena
Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
readaholic

Kindle Touch or Sony T1?

Ok, please help me here one last time (hopefully). I've narrowed my choices to Kindle Touch and Sony T1. My friend just loaded a PDF book in Russian oh her Sony (the older model) and it works just fine. KT supports Cyrillic.

I really like buttons on Sony as well as their dictionaries, bookmarks, organizational features, etc. From another hand, what worries me are some complains about T1 freezing and super slow speed.

My question is: from what I've read I understand that Kindle content (or what I can load on it) will be country specific (Canada in my case) and limited in this way. My understanding is that Sony T1 is the only e reader that will not limited you to your country but will let you access worldwide resources. Is it correct?

I will only use my prospective e reader to read books in English and Russian. What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot,

Irena
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The Kindle doesn't have a sd card slot though.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
readaholic

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
My question is: from what I've read I understand that Kindle content (or what I can load on it) will be country specific (Canada in my case) and limited in this way. My understanding is that Sony T1 is the only e reader that will not limited you to your country but will let you access worldwide resources. Is it correct?
Often the Canadian availability and pricing is the same as the US and we buy books from the Amazon US site. For instance, the Kindle Daily Deal is identical for Canada and the US. The geographic issues are more of a problem for those in Europe or Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The Kindle doesn't have a sd card slot though.
It will store a couple of thousand books.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:

I will only use my prospective e reader to read books in English and Russian. What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot,

Irena
Hi Irena

It's not quite like that. Of the 2 DRM (protected) formats, Kindle will read azw/mobi books. Sony will read epub books. Amazon only sell Kindle format books. Most of the other major shops (Kobo, B&N, Borders) only sell epub format books. If you buy a book from Amazon you will not be able to read it on a Sony without converting it. If you buy a book from one of the others you will not be able to read it on a Kindle without converting it. So if you have particular needs (eg Russian-language books) it is worth checking different shops for their general availability. Many publishers offer both epub and Kindle format books.

Also, B&N and Kobo both have their own versions of epub - nookbooks and kepubs will only work on nooks and kobos respectively. Kobo also sells regular epubs alongside the kepubs so if you buy from there be sure to choose the correct format. I don't know much about B&N other than not having any significant presence outside the US (not sure about Canada).

Much of the time the restrictions are not specific to the shop or format - it is an author/publisher restriction in that the author has not sold the publishing rights for that region or the publisher with the rights to that region has not published an ebook version. This may be a problem for you if the Russian-language versions are not available for sale in Canada, but you may like to check out Russian shops and see whether you are able to buy from there and what they have.

If you plan to use library resources then go with the Sony. Most public library ebooks are in epub only.

I am surprised that the Sony does not support txt format. I know my old model PRS300 does - I have read txt documents on it without problem.

Hope this helps.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, that's not correct. You'll encounter geographical restrictions no matter which reader you buy. They depend on where you are, not which model of reader you have.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You need to ask yourself "are there sufficient books available for my reader", not "is every book available for my reader". As long as the answer to the first question is "yes", the second question is irrelevant (and is "no", no matter what reader you buy).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote