Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Kindle Touch for Canadians?

Another division of my company would like to gift their clients with the Kindle Touch. A small number of the clients are Canadian. They plan to order from Amazon and have them shipped directly to the client so they can register them with their own account.

Given my sketchy knowledge of international DRM issues, this looks like a sticky situation.

Amazon.ca doesn't offer the Kindle Touch, and their note for Kindle 4 for Canadians says that the client will be charged duty by Canadian Customs. And is there is a Canadian Kindle store to shop from?

Any insight on this from a Canadian so I can keep them from annoying clients rather than gifting them?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Both Staples and Walmart in Ontario are selling Kindle 3 and 4. I would think they will carry the touch once it is available.

However Fire seems doubtful at this time.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
wytwolf
wytwolf began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-T1
Only the kindle 3 is at my local Walmart at this time. They only recently started carrying kindles so who knows.
wytwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
as for duty being charged. Amazon charges you what they think the duty is at the time of the purchase and they incur any extra charges without re-charging you. However, if they overcharged you duty, they send you the refund.
Out of the two purchases that I was charged duty by Amazon, I receied two refunds because they overcharged me. It did take about two months for them to apply the refund but they did. (and this was all done at their end. I did not call them to prompt them for a refund.)

So your Canadian clients will not be charged duty. You are and if there is a refund you will receive it.

There are no problems purchasing kindle books or with whispersync or wifi or 3g in Canada. Everything works as it does in USA. I did read somewhere that the touch web browsing by 3g would not work in Canada.

Hope that helps...
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote