Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2024, 08:43 PM   #1
wyrdash
wyrdash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre URL Handler on Windows 11

Hello all,

I've used calibre lightly for ebook management with my ereader for a little while, and I'd like to make use of some more features of calibre. I have been linking to highlighted passages in the ebook viewer using the calibre:// URL scheme in my notes app.

This problem isn't exclusive to my notes app, clicking on a calibre:// URL link from any document prompts me with "Get an app to open this 'calibre' link," with no "set as default program" option, just "open microsoft store". In settings, there's no link type I can choose for the ebook viewer that corresponds with this type of link. However, I can still open the ebook viewer to the passage using the CLI.

I'll use the CLI to open links if I must, but is there any way that I can open calibre:// links from a document on Windows 11? Am I just missing a setting somewhere else (i.e. not Settings>Apps>Default Apps)?

Thanks.
wyrdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:40 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Well, I have a Win11 VM where the calibre annotations like

calibre://view-book/_hex_-43616c696272655f4c696272617279/1/EPUB?open_at=epubcfi%28/60/2/4/2/4/22/2/1%3A9%29

in a Word document, for example, were opening fine the Ebook Viewer on the Calibre version I had installed (6.14). (one has to insert the link manually in Word, by selecting text and inserting hyperlink)

Then I installed Calibre 7.7 on this VM, just to try to reproduce your issue, and noticed 2 things: 1) the Calibre desktop icon vanished and 2) when control-clicking the same annotation on Word, I had MS EDGE browser open on a blank page... lol.

So I closed Calibre, right-cliked the Calibre 7.7 installer and selected 'Repair' to do a repair install, and all is fine again: the desktop icon did show, and the annotation link works fine again.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 03-26-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:50 PM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
BTW, when I needed to get that URL to paste on Word, I had to export the annotation to MD format and open the resulting MD file on a text editor.

I guess there must be another way to obtain the Calibre annotation URL, but I can't remember.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:25 PM   #5
wyrdash
wyrdash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre URL Handler on Windows 11 (FIXED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
So I closed Calibre, right-cliked the Calibre 7.7 installer and selected 'Repair' to do a repair install, and all is fine again: the desktop icon did show, and the annotation link works fine again.
Repairing the install worked, thanks! No clue why I didn't think of that, I was thinking I'd have to completely uninstall and reinstall manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
Thank you. I now understand the calibre library and calibre2 folders are separate, so I won't have to worry about this next time I update or reinstall.
wyrdash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre ebook-viewer, url scheme, windows 11