Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

New reader - where is the free credit for the store?

Received the reader a week or so back, just starting to try and get it all setup.. got the reader stuff installed.. its yet to ask me if i'm american.. I also dont seem to be able to see the free credit voucher.. if such a thing existed, or whether when you first connect the reader if it sets up the credit automatically.

How does this normally work?

Cheers

Jim
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, jimbobuk, this hasn't been covered here for a while, so here's the short version. (if you want the long version you'll have to run a search for it )

This is from the beginning, so forgive me if I cover stuff you've already done.

When you install the Connect software, it ought to ask you if you're in the U.S., just tick the box (otherwise it won't let you do the install).

Once it's installed, when you're connected to the internet, run the Connect Reader software, and click on the "eBook Store" selection in the left column. It'll think about it for a minute, then take you to the store.

Once you're there, click on the "Register" or "Log In" link in the upper right corner. You'll get prompted to create an an account, go through the steps, I don't remember them, I'm afraid.

Once you're logged in you might need to go to the Account link in the upper right again, and choose "Manage Devices" from the middle, left column in the lower right window. You'll need to register your PC, and hook up your Reader to a USB port, and register that.

That should be enough to get you your credit. You should be able to see it in your account's Transaction History (lower right option on the Account page), and you should get an e-mail pretty quick besides.

That's it, just use it before the end of January or it turns back into a pumpkin.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

ahh thanks for that.. not exactly announcing it in either the manual or the program. Yes i can see that its there.. $50 .. great.

says its expires 2/1/07

i take it this is american standard meaning 1st feb? or is it 2nd Jan?

Ahh i see you answered.. ok.. cheers
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
vitualis
vitualis began at the beginning.

Device: ETEN M600, HP rx3715, Sony Reader
I think that it's Feb 1 2007.

The whole US thing is really a bit laughable when selling electronic books over the internet.

Regards,
Michael Tam
vitualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitualis
The whole US thing is really a bit laughable when selling electronic books over the internet.
No, it's a matter of legal distribution rights. Book distribution rights are generally per-country. Sony presumably at present only have rights to distribute in the US. I'm sure that they will roll-out the Connect store internationally once all the legal stuff is sorted. That's probably the reason why the Reader is currently only on sale in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
vitualis
vitualis began at the beginning.

Device: ETEN M600, HP rx3715, Sony Reader
I know that. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

There are many other ebooks distributors that are not limited to the United States. Furthermore, apart from stating so, it makes no difference to the Connect store whether you live in the United States or not. I have bought books in Australia, from an Australian IP address with an Australia credit card... Hence, ridiculous.

Regards,
Michael Tam
vitualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
kamyar22
kamyar22 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
i just registered and authorizedmy sony reader how long does it take before they send you the 50 dollar credit
kamyar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
Kamyar22 - While it has been the topic of some posts I have not seen one that states that some one that purchased a Reader after 12/31/06 received the $50 credit. In my case I purchased the unit 12/28/06 but did not receive it for a week, so I missed the 12/31/06 stated registration deadline for the $50. However SonyStyle emailed me and said I was eligible. It took a couple of emails and a call to Sony Connect but they did email me with a time limited gift certificate for $50. When I entered the Gift certificate I was credited for the $50. If your purchase was before 12/31/06 I would think you would also be eligible. Unless someone else can verify that they have not gotten credit for a purchase after 12/31/06 I would quickly call Connect Support and try to convince them that you are eligible until 2/1/07. Good Luck
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
kamyar22
kamyar22 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
ok thanks for the advice i will try that
kamyar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I too followed this route, and while it took them the better part of the week, I eventually received the credit and went on a spending (albeit limited) spree. Good luck and don't wait too long as Feb 1 is rapidly approaching.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote