Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
CONNECT software download

My reader won't ship from the Sony store until late November, and I'm impatient to begin experimenting with content. Is it possible to download the desktop app from somewhere? I couldn't find it on the Sony site...

I assume it's ok to use the desktop software without a Reader, and that the built-in viewer is a reasonable emulator of the Reader display...right?
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you have a large monitor (or a small one with lots of pixels), it might. On my monitor, I can't see the whole page at once, so it would be impossible to read in any reasonable way, and there's no zoom that I've found so far.

Some of the folks doing some hacking said that there is a similar page generation mechanism, didn't they? If so, that would bode well for the screen being a close representation to what's on the Reader, and would allow you to prepare content without having a Reader in your hands.

But of course the Reader Connect software is also only available with a Reader, so you might have to wait either way.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

I'm puzzled why Sony wouldn't make the software available as a separate download. It's not like you need an iPod to get iTunes. In fact, the app no longer even ships with the hardware--you must download it separately.

Is there any alternative? For example, I read somewhere that Sony released a bunch of the Librie code.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin
I'm puzzled why Sony wouldn't make the software available as a separate download. It's not like you need an iPod to get iTunes.
One doesn't need iPod to get iTunes
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
You can get one here: http://rapidshare.de/files/36024256/PRS500.ISO.html

I upload it to share with my friends.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Prefect, thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
New link: http://rapidshare.com/files/11331634/PRS500.rar.html
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
prisha
prisha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-600, Ipod Touch (3rd gen)
thank you. i tried to charge my 500 with a laptop but i would not charge so i am trying to install the connect software
prisha is offline   Reply With Quote