Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Marking Omnibuses

Is there a way to mark an omnibus as having multiple volumes of a series? I have some series that are a mixture of omnibi and individual books, and it always looks wierd when my "Series" list shows I have books "1,3,4,6,8" When in reality I have them all, but a few of the files are omnibi.
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by evandy View Post
Is there a way to mark an omnibus as having multiple volumes of a series? I have some series that are a mixture of omnibi and individual books, and it always looks wierd when my "Series" list shows I have books "1,3,4,6,8" When in reality I have them all, but a few of the files are omnibi.
other than it throws off the filename sort: I chose series 1234 over 1.234
I also tag with 'Omnibus'

Sometimes I have an overlap. I had 1 and 3, but I had to buy the omnibus to get 2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
genright
genright began at the beginning.

Device: laptop mostly, or any other handy screen
omnibus (om 1,2), short story (ss), collection (ss col), novella (nel). Seems like a document 'type' . I guess you could add a custom collumn for that? Me I just append a little brackety thing to the title for now, extra columns use up more screen real-estate space than I'd prefer.

I wonder if there is a way to add a column that only reveals details on mouseover?
genright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd just add the omnibus for each book it contains. And once for the omnibus itself.

Personally, I reformat the omnibus and split it in its individual books. I do the same with anthologies.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I tag 'Omnibus' to actual book, create empty books and enter in comments field title of the omnibus. So there's no duplicate files, only few kilobytes of metadata.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How have you guys been noting the year for omnibus books? I am trying to put the years in for all my books because I like sorting by year and seeing the progression chronologically through literary history, e.g. how many books I have read from each century, era etc.

What I have been doing for omnibus books so far is just using the info for the first book in the series (e.g. for the Sherlock Holmes anthology, the date of the first story). Is this the generally accepted way?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Empty book has everything but the book, so if omnibus contains #5, 6 and 8 of the series, it gets metadata of #5. 6 and 8 are empty books and have their own metadata (and year), #7 may be separate book or empty book. Important thing (for me) is that though they are together in the omnibus, in sorting they behave as separate books.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote