Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #1891
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
"The plain fact is that the planet does not need more
"successful" people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every shape and form. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the
fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these
needs have little to do with success as our culture has defined it."
- David W. Orr
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #1892
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #1893
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
You're two-for-two, Kenny!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #1894
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I love this thread. A few of my favorites.

"To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, to let it go." - Mary Oliver

“Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"The day is ending and our life is one day shorter.
Let us look carefully at what we have done.
Let us live deeply each moment in freedom,
so the time doesn’t slip away meaninglessly."
~Thich Nhat Hanh

"Beauty is whatever gives joy." ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #1895
kennyc

Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1896
kennyc

Dare I go for three?

Quote:
All men are in some degree impressed by the face of the world; some men even to delight. This love of beauty is Taste. Others have the same love in such excess, that, not content with admiring, they seek to embody it in new forms. The creation of beauty is Art.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #1897
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up.

-- the film V for Vendetta

I don't know if it was original or if they were quoting someone else.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day, BTW.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #1898
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

How vulgar, this hankering after immortality, how vain, how false. Composers are merely scribblers of cave paintings. One writes music because winter is eternal and because, if one didn’t, the wolves and blizzards would be at one’s throat all the sooner.”
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #1899
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”

How vulgar, this hankering after immortality, how vain, how false. Composers are merely scribblers of cave paintings. One writes music because winter is eternal and because, if one didn’t, the wolves and blizzards would be at one’s throat all the sooner.”
Wow! Nice quotes!

Just moved to the top of my TBR list. Unfortunately there are 168 patrons on the library waiting list in front of me...maybe I'll get to read it this decade.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #1900
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow! Nice quotes!

Just moved to the top of my TBR list. Unfortunately there are 168 patrons on the library waiting list in front of me...maybe I'll get to read it this decade.
Ha! There were only 9 waiting at my library but that didn't even matter because I went and bought it from Amazon. Judging from this and his "Jacob de Zoet" book, David Mitchell is a God of language and I want to read his other books.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #1901
kennyc

Quote:
Ha! There were only 9 waiting at my library but that didn't even matter because I went and bought it from Amazon. Judging from this and his "Jacob de Zoet" book, David Mitchell is a God of language and I want to read his other books.

Just read about it and watched the movie trailer....may be in my kindle before the end of the day.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #1902
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just read about it and watched the movie trailer....may be in my kindle before the end of the day.
We'll be discussing that one in the MobileRead Book Club beginning on the 20th of this month if you're interested, Kenny. It really is quite good, so far. Not only is the author a bona fide wordsmith, but he lays one hell of a foundation for his tale.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #1903
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We'll be discussing that one in the MobileRead Book Club beginning on the 20th of this month if you're interested, Kenny. It really is quite good, so far. Not only is the author a bona fide wordsmith, but he lays one hell of a foundation for his tale.
Ooooh. I'll have to read it again and take part in the discussion. Here is a quote from my current read that is a pretty good aphorism to live by as any.

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on." ~Nancy Kress, Beggars in Spain
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #1904
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The following comes from "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K. Jerome. I've been reading the beautifully formatted epub available right here on MobileRead.
Quote:
How good one feels when one is full - how satisfied with ourselves and the world! People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happpy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, as is cheaper, and more easily obtained. One feels forgiving and generous after a substantial and well-digested meal - so noble-minded, so kindly hearted.
[...]
We are but the veriest, sorriest slaves of our stomach. Reach not after morality and righteousness, my friends; watch vigilantly your stomach, and diet it with care and judgment. Then virtue and contentment will come and reign within your heart, unsought by any effort of your own; and you will be a good citizen, a loving husband, and a tender father - a noble, pious man.
I've had meals like that.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #1905
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....I have something that I call my Golden Rule. It goes something like this: "Do unto others twenty-five percent better than you expect them to do unto you." The twenty-five percent is for error.
..........— Linus Carl Pauling (1901–1994), American quantum chemist, biochemist, Nobel Prize in Chemistry/1954, Nobel Peace Prize/1962. Reply to an audience member's question about his ethical system, following a lecture at Monterey Peninsula College.