Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Calibre and nook

I have had problems loading books from calibre to my nook. I think I did everything right - imported the books (mostly pdf-files) into calibre; downloaded all the data for them based on their ISBNs (both automatically and manually for those it didn't find on its own); and then did 'Send to device' (the regular . In the dialogue box it says that everything went fine, but when I look in my Documents - I see none of those books; only the books I downloaded directly from B&N. Any idea about what I could have done wrong? Thanks!

-Stephan
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
On the nook: from the main menu, tap "My Library" and then "Check for new content"

Other things to check:
Enusre that your nook is upgraded to V1.2; if not you can follow the steps listed here

Switch your device off and on again.

I have been using the nook with calibre for a few months and it is working properly on all calibre versions from 0.6.37 onwards.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
sdspieg
Connoisseur

Solitaire,

Thanks for your reply. My nook is softrooted (but yes - Software version 1.2.0) - when I click on My library, I only get View my documents; View item details & options, Show covers; Check for new B&N content; Sort by; Show; Hide archived items; and Open Audio player. Am I missing sthg?

-Stephan
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspieg View Post
Thanks for your reply. My nook is softrooted (but yes - Software version 1.2.0)
If I understand correctly you have hacked your Nook. So you are not running vanilla 1.2 like Solitaire is. Since you have root access, can you hunt around and find where Calibre is putting the files?

Quote:
Am I missing sthg?
It seems like you might be. Maybe someone who has also softrooted their Nook can speak up and give you a hand.

Update: You can always convert back to the basic firmware and see how it works then softroot it again and see if it breaks.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the Nook driver sends books to the my documents folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Solitaire,

Thanks for your reply. My nook is softrooted (but yes - Software version 1.2.0) - when I click on My library, I only get View my documents; View item details & options, Show covers; Check for new B&N content; Sort by; Show; Hide archived items; and Open Audio player. Am I missing sthg?

-Stephan
Hi,

I've using soft rooted Nook for a few week (modded 1.2.0). Since soft rooted, I use My Books function instead of the stock My Library.

Seeing your problem, I tried to use My Library again and see what could be your problem.

After pressing My Library, my Nook shows all B&N books, which is normal. However, when I press View My Document, the book list on the eink screen will not change; but it change the title to My Documents!. I have to wait for quite a while before my Nook displays all the non-B&N books in My Documents.

In summary, though you see My Documents on the top of your eink screen whilst the menu on LCD is actually for B&N Library (because you saw View My Documents, etc.. on LCD), you may have to wait for a while before your documents will appear.

I don't think it is the side effect of rooting your Nook; and it has nothing wrong with Calibre because you should see all your books in your Nook drive, your PC, when you connect your Nook with usb cable.

Last edited by bthoven; 03-26-2010 at 05:38 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
sdspieg
Connoisseur

Thanks all for your help. Let me document what I did:
  • I reset to factory settings
  • I tried uploading with Calibre (I have 164 books in my Calibre library, all with metadata) - still no cigar
  • I removed the 16Gig microSD (HC)-card. [I just want to point out that I ALWAYS saw all the books I had on that card through the file manager - whether through the Nook one, or through the Windows File Manager. But NEVER in My documents or B&N Books. I could also always open them by clicking on them in the File Manager. But that is a very cumbersome process of course AND you don't see any of the metadata. Also - Calibre also always read all 1000+ books I just copied onto that external card but that took over an hour to do so, which is why I decided to remove it for the time being]
  • I disabled my Kaspersky, because I saw in my resource monitor that it ate up a lot of resources during Calibre ops.
  • Then I tried uploading just one book (pdf, 39Mb) with Calibre -this time it did it. It took a while before Calibre actually started the transfer, but when it did it transferred the file in 1m4s.
  • Emboldened by this success, I then took 25 books. Calibre again waited for about 5 min before it started doing anything, but the actual transfer then took (an additional) 6m16s
  • I then did the rest of the books. Calibre stayed in the waiting stage for about a half an hour). When I looked in my resource monitor in that period, I saw loads of calibre-parallel.exe processes (10-15), and the calibre.exe itself was red (not responding). So I assume that initial stage just takes a long time per book. Once done, calibre unfroze and uploaded 134 books in 31m25s.

Long story short - I think I have two points to report
  • MAYBE a Kaspersky issue (although I can't tell for sure - I'll try again later with Kaspersky on).
  • Calibre is very slow (or I am too impatient ). I tried it on 3 different comps, but they all were slow and I never gave it more than an hour or so. Yes, I'm using USB 2.0 ports; the results I just reported were on an AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz system with 3 gigs of RAM running Windows 7.

So is this speed issue normal or is it just me?

-Stephan

Last edited by sdspieg; 03-26-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Long story short - I think I have two points to report
  • MAYBE a Kaspersky issue (although I can't tell for sure - I'll try again later with Kaspersky on).
  • Calibre is very slow (or I am too impatient ). I tried it on 3 different comps, but they all were slow and I never gave it more than an hour or so. Yes, I'm using USB 2.0 ports; the results I just reported were on an AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz system with 3 gigs of RAM running Windows 7.

So is this speed issue normal or is it just me?
I just sent 125 books to my prs-505, it tooks 30 seconds prior to the start of sending and about 85 seconds to complete sending the 125 books.

One thing to keep in mind, Calibre writes any metadata that needs updating into the file on transfer. In the past any time a process took this long Kovid would suggest the main culprit was the PDF metadata writer plugin. If you disabled the PDF metadata writer it would be quicker but your metadata might not be as desired.

The books I sent were all converted in Calibre so most of them didn't need any metadata added during the transfer process and they were all epubs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's certainly not normal, I would try disabling the PDF metadata writer (pdf files have to be read fully into memory, parsed and rewritten to update their metadata).
Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
sdspieg
Connoisseur

Thanks all. That might indeed be the culprit. I'll disable the PDF metadata writer. And would you also recommend converting the pdf files into another (more nook-friendly) format?

-Stephan
Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

PDFis not the best format for conversion, still if you're happy with the conversion results, yes, you should convert them.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
sdspieg
Connoisseur

Thanks Kovid. I'll try with a few of them and will see how it works out. Let me report, in the meanwhile, that disabling the pdf-metadata writer did indeed make a HUGE difference! Thanks so much. E.g. Calibre now reads the 13 gig I have on the SD-card in 10' instead of 110'. Still long, but a LOT faster anyway. I'll start playing with some conversion options and will see what that gives.

Great support tho!

-Stephan