Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
e-ink screen longevity

Does anyone know what is an average longevity for an e-ink screen ? Are those numbers even available ?
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
Does anyone know what is an average longevity for an e-ink screen ? Are those numbers even available ?
Sorry, but I think it's simply too new of a tech.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first eInk device I'm aware of was the Sony Librie, released in March 2004, so that's approaching 6 years old and still going.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
gulo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The first eInk device I'm aware of was the Sony Librie, released in March 2004, so that's approaching 6 years old and still going.
well that's definitely encouraging to know.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
new ereader

I think you will probably need to replace the battery before the screen. Or simply get a new cool ereader because of all the new ones coming out!

So far I believe that the problems with the screens have not been very common.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
So long as the glass substrate remains uncracked, I don't think any have worn out yet. 5+ years.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
gulo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I think you will probably need to replace the battery before the screen. Or simply get a new cool ereader because of all the new ones coming out!

So far I believe that the problems with the screens have not been very common.

Amy
With Nook I can always buy new battery so that's cool, but I will most likely buy a new one if they come up with color one day It would still be nice to keep my current one and give it to kids or something.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
according to Bezos' Law you will buy the new Kindle model every 9 months so screen life is irrelevant
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote