Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How easy is it to scratch the screen?

Well, now that I might be buying a Book Edition Iliad, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how easy it is to scratch the screen (or not) using the stylus or just through normal use?

I used to use a tablet PC at work and even using it's own stylus, it's screen was covered in scratches after a few months.

Thanks!
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I have never heard of anybody scratching their screen. I've heard of screens being broken due to an impact or being dropped, but not scratched by the plastic stylus.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's great news

Does the screen get damaged by the oils in your skin? Keyboards show marks from oily skin and wear, does the screen show such wear and tear if you use it for note taking?

In a similar note, are the screen protectors any good? Do they interfere with the touch screen? Can anyone recommend one?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I used my screen for a lot of note-taking for about six months without it showing anything in the way of permanent scratches. Cleaning it with a soft cloth from time to time (like the sort you get in an optician) kept it looking as good as new. I can't see that a screen protector would be necessary.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
The screen is pretty resilient - I'm constantly using the stylus, and I'll often put my iLiad in my handbag without any protection at all (although I'm always careful not to have the screen leaning on anything sharp) - and after a year of fairly frequent use, the screen still looks good.

The part of the iLiad that IS prone to wear & tear is the soft finish over the plastic case - particularly at the corners.
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
As far as I know, the front plate of the screen is made of glass. So a good rule of thumb is, if it would scratch glass, it will scratch your screen. Glass is pretty hard to scratch.

The flip side is, glass is pretty easy to break. So you should be moderately careful not to twist or lean on your iLiad... treat it the same way you'd treat the screen of a tablet PC.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The front screen of the iLiad is made of plastic. Its very tough. Had myiLiad for 2 years and never saw a scratch.

The glass layer is inside the display, which is the on that is damaged when beeing dropped. Thats why you can usually never feel a crack since the plastic fron is still whole.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
That's my understanding as well. There is a glass layer, but it's lower down inside the device. The top layer, as far as I know, is plastic.

However, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've never heard of anyone actually scratching it with their stylus. I don't think it's something to be worried about with normal use.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Maybe I am the one to scratch the front panel with stylus. In normal condition, it won't happen. What did scratch the front panel is a sand attached on the tip of stylus.
The scratch is insignificant, but visible.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote