Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.
BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: none
Pricing for Amazon?

I'm about to take the plunge and self-publish three short stories for girls, the themes are old-fashioned (a unicorn, fairies, elves etc) but they are written in the present day. They are (roughly) 3,000, 6,000 and 8,000 words long. I was thinking about pricing them at 75 pence, £1.00, and £1.25 respectively. Does that sound about right?
BryanThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Paul Dale
Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Given the length, I'm not convinced you need to separate the price at all, and at under 10,000 words, < £1 (77p?)
Paul Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.
BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.

Paul, do you mean each book? Or the lot for 77p?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest putting all three into one ebook and publishing at £0.77, which will come to £0.79 when Amazon add the VAT. US price $0.99, of course.

I'd also suggest putting your best story of the three up for free on your website with links to the collection.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.

I don't have a website as I'm an unemployed bum with no money. Two of the stories feature the same young girl, Amber, so I might combine them into one ebook. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You could make a blog at wordpress.com (or elsewhere) for free, and post one of the stories in a blog post, with a link to the Amazon listing.

You could also promote it in the Self promotions forum here at MobileRead (but do read that forum's posting guidelines carefully).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Check out http://www.tumblr.com/ or http://www.posterous.com/ for free "blog" type website!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Paul Dale
Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThomas View Post
Paul, do you mean each book? Or the lot for 77p?
Your shortest at 3000 words is a bit short for a single pub. I think a collection is better, especially if they share a character.
Paul Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.

Thanks again for the feedback - will try and combine the 'same character' stories into one book (back to the HTML - Oh no!). Didn't realise you could set up a blog for free, that's handy to know.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I don't have a website as I'm an unemployed bum with no money. Two of the stories feature the same young girl, Amber, so I might combine them into one ebook. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
I'm poor too, so everything I suggest is free:

You can get a blog from http://wordpress.com, and an easy to build website from http://weebly.com. On Weebly, it's basically just point and click; you could have a website up in less than ten minutes. Weebly also has stuff to sell things from your site, though I'm kind of sketch on the details.

For your short stories, I would put them at $0.99, or whatever the UK equivalent is (sorry, ignorant American here!) Then go to http://goodreads.com and set up your author page and join some groups - interacting with your readers will really help you.

Set up an Amazon author page at Author Central and link all your writings together.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.

Thanks Harper. Seems like everybody's poor on this forum - how about a name change to destituteindieauthors.com?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
XanderRichards
Forensic shoe polisher
XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Seems like everybody's poor on this forum
Yeah. I just put ALL my savings into getting my novel out. I'm so broke now I can't even afford to pay attention.

One day I'll look back on this and laugh, as I pull my bundle of newspaper around me under the bridge, chewing on the half-eaten burger I harvested from the trash.

Cheers,
Xander.
XanderRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thanks Harper. Seems like everybody's poor on this forum - how about a name change to destituteindieauthors.com?
I think that is part of the definition of "independent author"

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote