Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Also, every now and then she needs to buy a new closet to store her books and that means that I need to go to Ikea. I don't know if you know what kind of store Ikea is but for me it's a real nightmare to go there.
Oh yes, I know. My house is furnished almost entirely from Ikea . They have an enormous "superstore" only about 10km away from my house.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
My husband struggled last week to assemble bookcases from Ikea to house our SciFi collection. See photos attached.

Susan

Quote:
Thanks Harry. I'm trying to show my girlfriend how incredible useful the Sony Reader would be for her because she travels a lot. Now she's dragging a lot of books with her in her suitcase. Also, every now and then she needs to buy a new closet to store her books and that means that I need to go to Ikea. I don't know if you know what kind of store Ikea is but for me it's a real nightmare to go there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	7480   Click image for larger version

Name:	library2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	7481  
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They do sell some very good bookcases. I've got lots of them .
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do sell some very good bookcases. I've got lots of them .
Yup.
IKEA was the only shop where I could buy good, solid bookshelves with glass doors for a decent price.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I hope that someone can help me with my choice. I can't choose between the following dictionaries:

The Chambers Dictionary

Concise Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 7th edition

I'm not native English and need the dictionary to lookup a word when I'm reading a book and can't understand a certain word. The books I read are mostly by American authors. That's why I thought the last one would be a good choice. Any advice is more than welcome. Or maybe a completely different dictionary?

Thanks!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Both the first two are good - I have no experience of the third; I'm not entirely sure what a "Learner's Dictionary is"! I've bought the Chambers myself; I have a paper version of the "Concise Oxford". Both are excellent. The Chambers is more comprehensive (ie contains more words), but is more expensive.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
dictionary

Quote:
I hope that someone can help me with my choice. I can't choose between the following dictionaries:

The Chambers Dictionary

Concise Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 7th edition

I'm not native English and need the dictionary to lookup a word when I'm reading a book and can't understand a certain word. The books I read are mostly by American authors. That's why I thought the last one would be a good choice. Any advice is more than welcome. Or maybe a completely different dictionary?

Thanks!

as a non native english speaker and reader i chose the concise oxford english dictionary. bought it from books on board $26.99. have no experience with the others. so...
it works fine.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I bought the Pocket Oxford dictionary, and comparing it to the Concise demo I think it is a little clearer when the word is there (140K vs 240K words). I had never come across the Learner's dictionary before, but based on the demo it seems to include much more context information than a standard dictionary. For example:

Quote:
axe noun, verb
noun (especially BrE) (US usually ax)
1 a tool with a wooden handle and a heavy metal blade, used for chopping wood, cutting down trees, etc. see also BATTLEAXE, ICE AXE, PICKAXE
2 the axe [sing.] (informal) if sb gets the axe, they lose their job; if an institution or a project gets the axe, it is closed or stopped, usually because of a lack of money: Up to 300 workers are facing the axe at a struggling Merseyside firm. Patients are delighted their local hospital has been saved from the axe. Protesters, anxious over the spending cuts, urged councillors to think again before wielding the axe.
IDIOM: have an axe to grind to have private reasons for being involved in sth or for arguing for a particular cause: She had no axe to grind and was only acting out of concern for their safety. These criticisms are commonly voiced by those who have some political axe to grind.
verb (BrE) (NAmE ax) [VN] [often passive]
1 to get rid of a service, system, etc. or to reduce the money spent on it by a large amount: Other less profitable services are to be axed later this year.
2 to remove sb from their job: Jones has been axed from the team.
3 to kill sb with an axe
There are color changes and bolding that make the above more readable in MobiPocket Reader.

The Pocket Oxford has:

Quote:
axe (US also ax) noun
1. a heavy-bladed tool used for chopping wood.
2. (the axe) severe cost-cutting action.
verb cancel or dismiss suddenly and ruthlessly.
IDIOMS - have an axe to grind have a private reason for doing something.
ORIGIN: Old English.
By the way, the Kindle comes with the New Oxford American Dictionary (250K words), which is available, but expensive, for MobiPocket. It has ax, rather than axe, and a full description. It also gets ax (informal) as a musical instrument which the other two missed. I see that mobipocket.com also offers a Concise Oxford American Dictionary, but neither of the Oxford American's has a demo available.

I liked what I saw of the Learners dictionary. There seems less need to be brief in an e-dictionary than a paper dictionary, since memory cards are lighter than paper.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks for all advices! I bought the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. If it doesn't work for me I can always buy another one. When I get my Cybook I will experiment.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh yes, they all work, and you can have more than one installed if you wish. The lookup function works extremely well.
I am so jealous. I can only have one dictionary on the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
My husband struggled last week to assemble bookcases from Ikea to house our SciFi collection. See photos attached.

Susan
He did a good job, they look great!!

Are they Billy bookshelves, I'd always thought they'd be too large for paperbacks, but your shelving looks fine.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Are they Billy bookshelves, I'd always thought they'd be too large for paperbacks, but your shelving looks fine.
You need to buy two extra shelves for each Billy bookshelf to get it optimal for paperbacks. I usually only by one and use the lower shelves for bigger books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I am so jealous. I can only have one dictionary on the Kindle.
I do not believe this is true. I think there is a way to change the dictionary on the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do not believe this is true. I think there is a way to change the dictionary on the Kindle.

Dale
Yes. But you can only have one at a time. Harry implied that he has several active at the same time.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. But you can only have one at a time. Harry implied that he has several active at the same time.
That is not a feature that MobiPocket supports anywhere else so I would be surprised if it would work here. How would it work anyway?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote