Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
Looking up word definitions

I like the word lookup feature, because English is not my native language. However, I encountered this strange problem while trying to use it.
When I select a word with the 5-way joystick, a little popup window appears with the first two lines of dictionary entry. It reads "more" <-'. So I guess I need to press the <-' key to see the full entry. So I press this key and... nothing happens. I tried pressing it twice, pressing and holding down to no avail. Am I doing something wrong? Kindle just says "Begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight", that's all. The firmware version is 3.0.1.
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Vital,

The key you need to press is the Enter key. Is that what you mean when you say the "<-" key? I'ts the one immediately below the Del key.

Also, be sure you are not highlighting the word. The cursor should appear as a thin vertical bar, to the left of the word. It should not extend over the entire word.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that it could take a couple of seconds before the full definition appears - possibly as long as four seconds. That might not sound much, but it could be long enough to make you think that nothing is happening.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Mike L,

thanks, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work
Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Set up dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitel View Post
Mike L,

thanks, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work
Be sure to first go: HOME \ MENU \ SETTINGS \ MENU \ CHANGE PRIMARY DICTIIONARY. Then press the 5-way key on the dictionary you want.

Then the <ENTER> key located under the <DELETE> key should give you the full entry for a dictionary entry.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It might also be worth checking that the keyboard is itself working.

Try using the keyboard to type any word, then press the Enter key. That should take you to the search results page. If you can't type anything, then the keyboard is probably at fault.

Or, go to the menu, and then go to "Add notes or highlight". Again, type some words.

If the keyboard doesn't work, then you will need to get the Kindle repaired or replaced.

If the above tests do work, then the fault must lie somewhere else.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Vitel
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. The problem went away after I made a full reset. Now I can see the complete dictionary entry after I press the Return key (after a small delay).