Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Cover pic added in Calibre don't show up on device

I have some epubs and pdfs to which I added cover pictures in Calibre.
These files don't have their own cover pictures (i.e. the first page being the cover page).

For the files that have a certain picture occurring as the first page in the file, the cover displays.

But for the ones where I added the cover in Calibre, it doesn't seem to work.

What could be going wrong?

My device is IREX 800S and I have the latest version of Calibre.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Adding a cover into Calibre does NOT (at that point anyway) embed it into the ebook file. At that point it is simply stored in the Calibre library structure.

It is embeded into the ebook file if you run a conversion.

It is also often added when you use Calibre to send a book to a device/folder/iTunes - but that relies on Calibre being able to find an existing cover that it can replacem and can be file-type dependant. As a general rule it MAY work for epub files (depending how they were created) and is less likely to work for pdf files.

You did not mmention how you are transfering the books to the device. If you are doing it outside calibre then the only way to get it embedded is to run the conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Yes, I see what you mean. Locally on the laptop, it references a jpg file and there is some other file with the extension opf in the folder for that book.

However, on the device, I only see the epub file itself.

I DO transfer via Calibre. I select the books and then right click and do "Send to main memory". This actually seems to send the books to the memory card in the device, but that's fine by me.

I think that previously all this data got transferred, but for some reason it doesn't happen anymore. I have not deliberately changed it.

Can you help me with advice on:

1) How do I merge the picture with the epub or pdf file so that it's all in one file?

2) How would I tell Calibre to transfer the whole folder with the epub, the opf file and the jpg?

1) How
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The .opf and .jpg files are not MEANT to be transferred - they are part of Calibre's internal working.

As I said eaerlier the only reasonable reliable way to get a cover embedded in a file is to run a conversion (even if it is epub->epub). However if you do that it is always a good idea to ahve kept another copy of the file outside calibre control in case the conversion has undesireable side-effects on the layout (although this is rare for epub->epub conversions).

Note that there are other manual ways of updating the cover for epub files without running a conversion, but if you are not used to calibre then the conversion is the easiest one to try.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Sorry, I am a bit of a beginner with Calibre!

But you are right, when I convert epub to epub, then suddenly the cover is there, after I "transfer to device". Did not even know how to convert until now.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Sorry, I am a bit of a beginner with Calibre!

But you are right, when I convert epub to epub, then suddenly the cover is there, after I "transfer to device". Did not even know how to convert until now.

Thanks for the advice!
As a Calibre 'Newbie', you should avoid poking around in the the main Library folders. Bad things can happen if you change 1 tiny bit there.

Send to Device or Save to Disk are how you export books to your reader.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote