Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Creating TOC for books based on Text Files

I've never been able to figure out something with the present version of Mobipocket Creator. How to create a TOC for a book that started out as a text file. Whenever I try to create such an ebook I always end up with a blank TOC page. Not sure if it's a matter of something wrong with HTML coding or what. Basically my knowledge of HTML is slight but it was enough to create ebooks with their Ebook builder 3.0 which is no longer offered on site.

<HTML>
<BODY>
<H1> Chapter #</H1>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have V 4.2 Publisher's edition.
Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub forum.

Last edited by crich70; 09-10-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: noticed I might be in the wrong sub forum
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You're missing anchor tags/an id attribute to show where the links go to.

Something along the lines of:

<h1><a name="ch1">Chapter One</a></h1>

or

<h1 id="ch1">Chapter One</h1>

should probably do it, if the TOC is auto-generated.

Mind you, I'm on a Mac and Mobipocket Creator doesn't work under Wine, so you'd probably get better and more useful responses by asking the mods to move this to E-book Formats/Mobi.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
You might try using Sigil to make an epub and then Calibre to convert the resulting epub to mobi.

It's worked pretty well in my limited use. You get a TOC and even those little chapter dots.

Of course, you basically have to do the same thing as above, but you simply highlight the chapter name in the text and use the little drop down box to the left to add the header tags. But easier than doing HTML on your own.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see about giving it a try soon.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong but I can't quite figure out the sequence of steps to create a TOC with Sigil. I load a text file in and I'm not sure what I'm leaving out. Most of the coding seems to be put in for me but I'm not sure what (if anything) I'm supposed to type in. Is there a button I'm supposed to click on to generate the TOC? There isn't much detail in the help file to state what I'm supposed to do.

Edit: Never mind I stumbled across what I was doing wrong in one of the other forums. Turned out to be as simple as highlighting the chapter heading and then choosing a heading from the left side of the menu. Neat how easy it is.

Last edited by crich70; 09-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.