Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
How many of you would buy a book IF.....

For example a book was made available in hardback at hardback price, and with that hardback you received a coupon or whatever for a free ebook download of that said book.

I would. Just thinking out loud.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Nope.

I want fewer paper books.....not more. There are very few "shelf worthy" authors for me.

What is the purpose of having dual copies of books around?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
tnronin
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
What is the purpose of having dual copies of books around?
If I could figure a convenient method of compressing and carrying around the 5-6 books I'm working on w/o the ereader I would. The ereader serves a purpose, it is NOT the reason I read.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Personally, I'll never go back to paper. Ebook is just so much more convenient.
Not to mention having more options.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
If I could figure a convenient method of compressing and carrying around the 5-6 books I'm working on w/o the ereader I would. The ereader serves a purpose, it is NOT the reason I read.
Well, the Kindle IS the reason I'm reading MORE.

Having hundreds of books at my fingertips, to be read anywhere, anytime I choose is very encouraging.

I'm not stuck with whatever books I happen to have around.....they are all there. I don't have to fight with a paperback holding it open. I don't have to carry a large volume around.

There are some paper books I'll never get rid of. My Kings, Micheners, Christies.....just for sentimental reasons.

But they're much easier to read on the K.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
Quote:
For example a book was made available in hardback at hardback price, and with that hardback you received a coupon or whatever for a free ebook download of that said book.

I would. Just thinking out loud.
For pure consumption, it doesn't make much sense, but for reference or text books it provides a physically lightweight alternative that is searchable. However, until the non-linear e-reading experience is better on portable devices, and until the educational textbook monetizing scheme changes, the hardcover still needs to be sold (if only to subsidize the textbook industry, but certainly so students can make margin notes, skim, reference, and intelligently read - something e-ink bottlenecks into a passive experience).

A handful of textbooks have adopted e-book versions but it is still far from widespread particularly amongst those who could benefit most (law students, for example)... finding more adoption amongst subjects like english or history.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
for me the advantage of the ebook reader was to not buy paper books. I have no plans to ever buy a paper book again, even if the ebook prices go up as they seem to be. I'll buy them when they get reduced or go on sale, or take advantage of libraries who have jumped on the ebook bandwagon.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot

I ask because I have such a hard time paying those prices for ebooks. Especially when I have nothing tangible for my purchase.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
tnronin
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I'll buy them when they get reduced or go on sale, or take advantage of libraries who have jumped on the ebook bandwagon.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Demas
Connoisseur

Quote:
I ask because I have such a hard time paying those prices for ebooks. Especially when I have nothing tangible for my purchase.
The market will correct itself... perhaps. Amazon pushed lower pricing on the basis that there is no remainder (used sales, auction lots, etc), no physical overhead, etc. the lack of a tangible object producing the perception of less value... value pricing was intended to increase the e-book market and it has. But, the publishers have pushed back and decided that electronic books are a premium product for small and select sphere of customers, more akin to a limited or special edition (despite no addition overhead barring piracy). [Mind you, in either model, the publishers were getting the same cut only they were abiding by Amazon's price fixing model in the first case where now they rely on agency]

Time will tell if people are willing to pay and the publishers will adjust accordingly... if they're "nimble"... the fear is that they aren't.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Nope. Main appeal of e-books for me is to not have a physical copy of something I'll probably on read once.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I don't think I've bought an eBook yet that I didn't already have a physical book of...so, sure
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Not me. I have no desire for any more paper books to clutter the house, especially those read only once.

The fact that I am reading even more now is a direct result of my Kindle(s) and I love having the ability to carry a very large library with me at all times.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nup I wouldn't by the pBook because of the eBook coming with it - that would be like buying Hardcover & Softcover pBook. I only need the book once.

I prefer the eBook version these days - I just love going to town with my library (although small yet, I am just starting).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Demas
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's interesting to see that people are so staunch in their adoption of ebooks with a revulsion to traditional books that even free they have no interest, particularly when they could take advantage of the remainder market and simply divert the physical edition to an auction site, used bookseller, or outright donate the physical copy to the library or someone without the luxury of owning an e-reader.

There's no used ebooks and generally restrictions on lending ebooks, but that isn't perceived as valuable at all... interesting.