Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
ksmith100056
ksmith100056 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Question Which format does Calibre change to ePub best?

Newbie here. Please be gentle.

I have downloaded and burned some BAEM free book CDs with many many Fantasy/Science Fiction books.

http://www.allensmith.net/SciFi/Baen/Free.htm

They have the following formats on them:

HTML
Microsoft Reader
Mobipocket for Palm/WinCE
Rocket RCA REB1100
Rich Text Format

Which of these formats might convert best (using Calibre) to ePub for my new Nook?

Thanks. This looks like a great forum!
ksmith100056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hi and Welcome!

I'm sure someone will be along soon to assist.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I don't know if it's the best, but I always get Microsoft Reader format when EPUB isn't available and have been satisfied with the conversion results, particularly if I set it to fully justify the text and add a blank line between paragraphs.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi,

Using Calibre, these are the best format to convert, in that order: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, TXT, PDF

Converting PDFs, on my case, gives horrible results and it's understandable considering the technical specs of a PDF file.

MOBI to ePub or ePub to MOBI works wonderful. The only issue is when you are trying to convert technical books or books with complex layouts: lot of tables, text around images, etc.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Ditto LIT, don't know why. They're both just packaged html files.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have converted tons of mobi since that is what I use to read on my phone, and they look great! I have also converted a couple lit and they looked ok too.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Believe it or not, LIT (aka Microsoft Reader) is actually an early version of ePub, which is probably why it converts so well.

Apparently the IDPF people who now managed the ePub standard built on Microsoft's proposals for an open e-book format, which is why when you open them up, LIT files have an internal structure similar to ePub (.opf files and whatnot).

Also, welcome to MobileRead, ksmith100056!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
ksmith100056

Thanks!

I converted the LIT files to ePub, and sent them to my Nook, and it went great!

What a great program!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith100056 View Post
I converted the LIT files to ePub, and sent them to my Nook, and it went great!

What a great program!
Hooray!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you go to the download page, you'll find they have all the free books in epub format already.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
ksmith100056

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
If you go to the download page, you'll find they have all the free books in epub format already.
The older BAEM free book CDs I was talking about do not have ePub.
The BAEM Free Library Books do.

Last edited by ksmith100056; 12-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hi,

Using Calibre, these are the best format to convert, in that order: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, TXT, PDF
Thanks for this information.

What about Sony LRF and Ebookwise IMP ? Where do they fall in the order above ?

Also, which formats besides Epub can a Nook use without any conversion ?
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Odd that you would have to convert, as the ones i'd grabbed all had epub as a download option.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
The Baen Free Library has an epub option for nearly all its books. At the Fifth Imperium website, which offers, with permission, images of the various free CDs that Baen distributes with some of their books, only the books in the newer disc images are offered as epub.

As an aside, if you like the Baen Free Library and have never visited Fifth Imperium, I highly recommend it. It offers a lot of free books that aren't available in the Free Library--with Baen's permission, of course.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
....No kidding huh?

Might have to give there a go. Already weeded out what looked like interesting works that turned out to be unappealing. So Yea.. .good resource for sorting when I get available funds for purchase, or at least donation.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote