Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #61
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's sad.

Hopefully, some party does indeed buy the assets and preferably decides to continue the DR product line.

I am really happy with my DR1000 and hope it doesn't break, because I really don't see a feasible alternative for it, at least not now.

Thanks iRex!
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #62
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
shame to imagine a hell of a lot of new devices setting in a warehouse to be shredded.
i'd buy another unit if it was cheap enough considering you'd get no warranty.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #63
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Several parties are interested in the intellectual property and the expertise of the 30 employees.
Well, that certainly answers the question of how small of a company they were. Pretty impressive how well they could compete with the likes of Sony/Amazon with only 30 people.

Hopefully there's still a future for iRex, but I want to extend well wishes and thanks to the individuals as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #64
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well I'd like to say thanks for all the help and assistance the individuals in I've dealt with iRex have given. I do hope something can be retrieved and wish those left well in these uncertain times and thanks for RC3.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #65
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really love iRex and hope it can survive. Sony and others' products still cannot fulfill my needs in large screen + stylus writing.

Is there anything as the customers that we can do to help iRex?
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #66
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
shame to imagine a hell of a lot of new devices setting in a warehouse to be shredded.
i'd buy another unit if it was cheap enough considering you'd get no warranty.
Nothing will be shredded. The job of the official receiver is to turn all assets that are left into money, so if there is a warehouse full of new devices, he'll sell them (but not to individual customers, presumably).
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #67
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
... so if there is a warehouse full of new devices...
I think that this 'warehouse full of devices' does not exsist. For some reason the message that irex did not sell enough devices of their DR800s and therefore had a cash problem was translated as they have a lot of devices that they did not sell. What I think is that because devices where sold too late, their cash was 'burned' on cost of people etc and so they did not have enough money to start the production of a new/next batch of devices.
Which also explains why the DR800 could only be bought for a few weeks/months and was out of stock after that time.
But I ofcourse could be wrong.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #68
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nothing will be shredded. The job of the official receiver is to turn all assets that are left into money, so if there is a warehouse full of new devices, he'll sell them (but not to individual customers, presumably).
Exactly. At this point, any assets are liquidated into cash to pay off their debts. They're not going to just destroy them.

Raises an interesting question though... who gets control of the copyrights? For example, will anybody buy the rights to the proprietary parts of the DR code (which isn't open source.... yet?).

I would assume someone will, but if the answer is "nobody", it sure would be nice if some of that got leaked to the community (except for the stuff covered under Adobe licenses, obviously).
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #69
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I think that this 'warehouse full of devices' does not exsist. For some reason the message that irex did not sell enough devices of their DR800s and therefore had a cash problem was translated as they have a lot of devices that they did not sell. What I think is that because devices where sold too late, their cash was 'burned' on cost of people etc and so they did not have enough money to start the production of a new/next batch of devices.
Which also explains why the DR800 could only be bought for a few weeks/months and was out of stock after that time.
But I ofcourse could be wrong.
That's my bet as well. I think they were having problems getting enough devices, not the other way around. I doubt there's a vast stockpile of them.

However, theoretically, if there were they wouldn't just destroy them. There are (I believe) legal requirements that they use any remaining assets to pay off debts.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #70
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Raises an interesting question though... who gets control of the copyrights? For example, will anybody buy the rights to the proprietary parts of the DR code (which isn't open source.... yet?).

I would assume someone will, but if the answer is "nobody", it sure would be nice if some of that got leaked to the community (except for the stuff covered under Adobe licenses, obviously).
Generally speaking, any sort of IP like this isn't going to be released to the public until it basically is deemed to be of no value. So long as there is the possibility of converting that IP to cash, it will remain under lock and key. When there is a reasonable expectation of selling the IP to some interested party for a significant value, putting the IP into public domain would be like just opening the office doors at HQ and saying "anyone who wants any office supplies, just stop by and pick them up." A bankruptcy court would never allow potentially valuable IP to be just given away for free so long as debts remain outstanding.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #71
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
A bankruptcy court would never allow potentially valuable IP to be just given away for free so long as debts remain outstanding.
Yes, which is what my post said.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #72
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
wtf is phillips doing? How much money does it take to found 30 people + supplies?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #73
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they ran out of phillips money a long time ago.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #74
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
oh I see, I thought they were under full phillips ownership, not merely funded by them.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #75
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
A mere 30 people company... and they run up 10 millions debts: that's crazy!

How many devices did they actually sell in all of these years? 10? 100? Is there someone who ever bought an Irex out of this forum?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote