Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
atmo
atmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
My Kindle reboots continually . . please help

Hi, my Kindle 4 is rebooting continually . . from reboot screen (tree and progress bar below) to new reboot screen. I have tried to access the menu by pressing the menu button but the reboot screen comes in too fast. Once I got to the menu and tried to get down to 'settings' but reboot came in too fast. I can access my Kindle via USB and can see the Documents and Active content Data folders but now I'm stuck. I have tried charging for hours and then unplugging and holding the power button for 40 seconds to turn off but it comes on every time and reboots continually. Any ideas people. I have been on to Amazon support and they are very helpful and will send me a new Kindle but I am away from home and cannot receive the new Kindle for about a month and am suffering reading withdrawal symptoms (so I hope to get the K4 running somehow . . even for 2 or 3 books.
Please help.
Thanks
Vincent
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you not simply ask Amazon to send the replacement Kindle to wherever you currently are, rather than to your home address?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
It sounds like you've already done everything I would have suggested to get it going again. I'm afraid you might not be able to revive that one.

I'd agree with HarryT and see if you can get Amazon to ship you a new one where you are now.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
atmo
atmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks Harry and Jane for your replies. I considered asking for the new one to be sent to me here (in Northern Thailand, 1400 kms north of Bangkok) but I would not trust post, customs, shipping etc to get it to me before I depart for home (on 24th March). I would love to try it, but Murphy's law would no doubt set in, and I would never see it again. I had to opt for the safer and more sure way of getting it sent to my home address. Sounds, from what you both say, like there is no chance of resurrecting this old one?
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Did you actually do anything which may have caused the boot loop? If so, googling may find a procedure to reverse the issue.

Otherwise, it may be a bit drastic, but have you considered trying Kubrick? You will, of course, lose all your books and settings, and if Amazon have issued a replacement you may find that even if you fix your Kindle it has been blacklisted and won't connect to your account. Of course, if you have a computer with Calibre and non-DRM infested backups of your books this may not be a problem.

Good luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
You could try this Factory reset. I'm not sure if it would help (it could be only for K5+ versions, it helped me with my PW2 some time ago, before it had 5.6.x).
P.S. Be warned it will erase all your data and make full factory restore. It could help.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Dexmaster -- won't work (fw5.3.x+ only, meaning KT and up).

But on the other hand, Kubrick will, assuming it is a software issue. (Hardware issues cannot be helped for obvious reasons. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
had you added a new book to the Kindle just before you started having this trouble? It might be that something about thenew book is what is causing it if you did. One thing you can try is going into your document folder and deleting the new book and see if that helps resolve the problem. Just a thought but I've heard others have had such issues as a book file messing things up.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Typically that jams the indexer, not send the device into a bootloop... but maybe.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote