Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Tune Tune
Tune Tune began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite charging problem

My Kindle Paperwhite turned green light after about 4 hour charging but when I disconnected it from the usb cable, on it screen there was a little bit blank space in the battery icon. I mean that despite the Kindle was fully charged (the led light turned green), after it was disconnected from the electric source, the battery icon still not covered all by white color, there was a little black space in this icon as it was only charged to ~95-98%. It appeared from the first time when I charged this Kindle.

Everybody, did you experience this problem?
Tune Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've had that happen after updating my Kindle Keyboard to the latest firmware. A reboot solved the problem.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It takes several charge cycles to correctly calibrate the battery meter. Don't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've had that happen after updating my Kindle Keyboard to the latest firmware. A reboot solved the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It takes several charge cycles to correctly calibrate the battery meter. Don't worry about it.
Until now, my Kindle Paperwhite has charged 3 times but this problem still appears exactly how many charge-times does it need to calibrate its battery meter?

P/s: Does your Kindle Paperwhite show notification on its screen when it was fully charged? Mine does not. Despite it was charged more than 4 hours and the led light already turned from orange to green color, it still showed a lightning icon inside the battery icon. This lightning icon still existed despite I had tried to charge the Kindle Paperwhite 5-6 hours. After that, I disconnected the Kindle Paperwhite out of electric source then I re-connected it to electric source via its USB cable to charge again immediately. Guess what happened? The led light turned on with orange color, and after it was re-charged about ~ 30 seconds, the led light turned green color.

I don't know what happened with my paperwhite. Please give me some advices.

Last edited by Tune Tune; 11-23-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Form my experience with Kindle Fire, battery indicator turns green somewhere around 92-95%, it doesn't wait until is fully charged. If you leave it on charger for about half an hour or even whole hour, it will be fully charged. Haven't noticed this behavior on PW, but generaly, if your battery life is good, forget about that.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What you describe is normal and to be expected. All it means is that the battery is start draining the moment you unplug the USB charger.

This does not indicate in any way that the battery life is poor. Mine behaves like yours too but mine lasted 49.5 hours continuous reading with LED off and 13.5 hours with LED at level 24 (full blast). If you compare that to official Amazon account, it is actually last far longer than expected.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 11-23-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Let at least one cycle discharge down to the screen where a large battery icon is shown plus icons for a wire and a lightning bolt for the power.

Then charge overnight. That will train the battery meter to conform to an actual cycle.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Let at least one cycle discharge down to the screen where a large battery icon is shown plus icons for a wire and a lightning bolt for the power.

Then charge overnight. That will train the battery meter to conform to an actual cycle.
Sorry, I don't really get your idea. Do you mean that I should use my kindle paperwhite until the battery is totally drained out (0% battery left) then charge it overnight (about 8 hours) for training the battery meter?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's certainly the fastest way to get an accurate battery meter reading, yes.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune Tune View Post
Sorry, I don't really get your idea. Do you mean that I should use my kindle paperwhite until the battery is totally drained out (0% battery left) then charge it overnight (about 8 hours) for training the battery meter?
Yes, when totally empty, that screen will appear. It will also allow your battery to last much longer in the future since the chemicals within the battery get fully mixed that way.

I saw that mentioned on Amazon by a producer of solar charged storage lithium batteries when folks were complaining the batteries did not last as long as the stated parameters.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune Tune View Post
My Kindle Paperwhite turned green light after about 4 hour charging but when I disconnected it from the usb cable, on it screen there was a little bit blank space in the battery icon. I mean that despite the Kindle was fully charged (the led light turned green), after it was disconnected from the electric source, the battery icon still not covered all by white color, there was a little black space in this icon as it was only charged to ~95-98%. It appeared from the first time when I charged this Kindle.

Everybody, did you experience this problem?
I've had this problem with both my Paperwhite and Kindle Keyboard. Restarts and resets did not fix the problem for me.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
lizard king
lizard king began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
i got my paperwhite more than half years and battery is never fully charged, even after 6 hours charging
lizard king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard king View Post
i got my paperwhite more than half years and battery is never fully charged, even after 6 hours charging
Have you tried a Factory Reset?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
lizard king
lizard king began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
about 3-4 times
lizard king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How do you know that it's not fully charged? Are you getting a battery life that's significantly less than Amazon state? You really can't go by the battery meter - it only gives the roughest of indications.