Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
chris_c
Member Retired
chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: kindle touch
linking to gtk [solved]

I've successfully compiled xlib applications and even source using Xaw by copying kindle libs to my pc and using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.6

However programming with Athena widgets is as much fun as stabbing yourself in the eye with a rusty fork...

I tried out compiling simple gtk source code, but it seems to want to link pthreads from a absolute path :/

anyone got gtk apps compiled for the kindle ? (ideally without a chroot jail ?)

Last edited by chris_c; 08-25-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added [solved] to title
chris_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_c View Post
I've successfully compiled xlib applications and even source using Xaw by copying kindle libs to my pc and using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.6

However programming with Athena widgets is as much fun as stabbing yourself in the eye with a rusty fork...

I tried out compiling simple gtk source code, but it seems to want to link pthreads from a absolute path :/

anyone got gtk apps compiled for the kindle ? (ideally without a chroot jail ?)
What absolute path?
gcc -v .... will help you answer that question.
Include in your reply the full gcc command line being used.

What Kindle?
Yes, it makes a difference to the answer.

P.S: What version of gtk or gtk2?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
chris_c
Member Retired
chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.chris_c can bend spoons with a thought.

never mind, I tried again from scratch and typically can't replicate the problem, on the plus side it does mean I can compile gtk+-2.0 apps for my kindle touch.

-- the quick and dirty (not recommended) cross compile bodge --

to avoid having a bunch sym links when copying the kindle libs to my pc I dropped the version numbers after the .so

so

libBlah-2.0.so.1.2.3

becomes

libBlah-2.0.so

I stuck these in a local (to my dev folder) directory called libs

I'm using the includes from the host (which seems to work!)

arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.6 gtk.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` -L./libs -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lXrender -lXinerama -lXext -latk-1.0 -lcairo -lexpat -lffi -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lpango-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpixman-1 -lpng12 -lxcb-render -lxcb-shm -lXdamage -lXfixes -lz -lX11 -lxcb -lXau -lXdmcp -o gtktest

needless to say I'll be making a Makefile before long....

Last edited by chris_c; 08-25-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Destroying the soname, naming conventions is not something to be recommended.
Are you doing this work on a file system that does not support symbolic links?

Using the host includes is not something to be recommended.
That will fail as soon as you encounter an include that contains code or one of the systems (host or target) changes so that the includes are not compatable.

I would strongly suggest that you spend your time setting up a proper cross-compile environment before wasting your time with creating a Makefile built to fail.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
chris_c
Member Retired

Quote:
-- the quick and dirty (not recommended) cross compile bodge --
it works just fine, sufficient that I have almost finished a quick sudoku app

bare in mind the includes that user code includes are platform agnostic...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
it works just fine, sufficient that I have almost finished a quick sudoku app

bare in mind the includes that user code includes are platform agnostic...
Keep in mind that is the way it is **supposed** to be.
Which unfortunately is not guaranteed in the real world.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
chris_c
Member Retired

if by supposed you mean the whole point of a cross platform GUI library, then, yes )
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
if by supposed you mean the whole point of a cross platform GUI library, then, yes )
I wasn't very clear was I? My bad. I meant as a general rule, inclusive of GUI libraries.

But we are on the same track here.

For the non-programmers reading this -
"Includes" in the "C" (or "C++") language are "header files" and the design intent behind header files is that they should never cause (or contain) code generation statements.

Not all source code authors follow that rule.

Here, this "quick and dirty" happens to work, today.
It may not work tomorrow and the O.P. is aware of this, this post is just so that other readers are aware also.