Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #76
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can also register the Lua engine with the kernel and the kernel will then execute your Lua script (if chmod'd +x).

Some notes (and magic numbers) on how to do that:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/aufs/auroot.hg/

Also a "known working" copy of luaposix as used in Alpine Linux:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/lua/luaposix.hg/
Wow, thx for the links, that's cool
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Ah, I may have just made a fool of myself (again).
I haven't (yet) checked if the kernel(s) for the Kindles where built with support for binfmt_misc. (Its an option to the kernel build).

Try to view: /proc/fs/binfmt_misc (it will only be present if the module is loaded or included).

If not, well then that is one more thing for the "todo list".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #78
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, I may have just made a fool of myself (again).
I haven't (yet) checked if the kernel(s) for the Kindles where built with support for binfmt_misc. (Its an option to the kernel build).

Try to view: /proc/fs/binfmt_misc (it will only be present if the module is loaded or included).

If not, well then that is one more thing for the "todo list".
Not lucky, the kindle kernel did not built with this module :-(
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #79
dave2008
Addict

tI have finished the jump keeper feature. The jump keeper menu can be invoked by "B" key. Also you can jump between current page and previous page with "Alt + Back" combo.

The jump keeper logs your every jump (page forwards and backwards are not logged) with two exceptions:
1. current viewing page, if logged, will be deleted from the history
2. every page will show up only once in the jump history. For instance, if you do following jumpings:
page 10 -> page 20 -> page 10 -> page 20
. The jump keeper menu will only show one entries: page 10

I use this strategy because I think it conforms better to my reading habits with real paper books. Not sure this is a good design though. Any improvement suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Actually, this feature is not entirely finished yet because I did not add code to save the jump history for every book you read. So after kindlepdfviewer exits, the history will gone. I prefer to use Serialization approach to save settings (includes history) but current implementation uses sqlite3 as I pointed out in previous post. I am still waiting for feedbacks on this suggesions.

download link:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki/Download (link for new version has been posted in later reply)

A bug fix from dpavlin is pulled into this version. Now K3 can correctly use volume key to adjust gamma when reading.

I also did a little improvement for input box, it won't flash when deleting characters now.

Next, I think it's better to add a help menu which displays all the shorcuts. There are too many shortcuts now

Last edited by dave2008; 03-03-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: update download link
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #80
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Next, I think it's better to add a help menu which displays all the shorcuts. There are too many shortcuts now
Again, great update and your work.

1) Personally I think it would be better not only to implement something like a help-menu, but also a real settings menu invoked by pressing a MENU key (something similar to the original Kindle menu when there is an opened book). I know that this would need a lot of work and, mainly, stabilized and finished all major setting features. However, it is quite clear that a first-time KPDF user would expect settings under a Menu button and not trying to remember a whole bunch of shortcuts.
When talking about a "grafical" settings interface, there does not necessarily have to be all the features - just the most common and the most used ones -> eg. rotate screen for 90° in all directions, possibly rotate for other values, fit page to width/height, gamma control, zoom etc.

2) And another feature request (however only as an option) - detect the text structure in PDF and wheather the most of the PDF is blank (eg. text only in upper left corner), then automatically zoom to that area. In best case this can also lead to collumns recognition. But again, there should be the ability to turn that feature off because it can be annoying in some cases.

Last edited by vmonkey; 02-26-2012 at 02:50 PM.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #81
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
1) Personally I think it would be better not only to implement something like a help-menu, but also a real settings menu invoked by pressing a MENU key (something similar to the original Kindle menu when there is an opened book). I know that this would need a lot of work and, mainly, stabilized and finished all major setting features. However, it is quite clear that a first-time KPDF user would expect settings under a Menu button and not trying to remember a whole bunch of shortcuts.
When talking about a "grafical" settings interface, there does not necessarily have to be all the features - just the most common and the most used ones -> eg. rotate screen for 90° in all directions, possibly rotate for other values, fit page to width/height, gamma control, zoom etc.
agree with you. Users should be given more freedom. To achieve this, current key event listening code needs to be refactored. I will try to work on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
2) And another feature request (however only as an option) - detect the text structure in PDF and wheather the most of the PDF is blank (eg. text only in upper left corner), then automatically zoom to that area. In best case this can also lead to collumns recognition. But again, there should be the ability to turn that feature off because it can be annoying in some cases.
This is a very useful feature, I hope it can be added to kPDF too.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #82
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
I have finished the jump keeper feature. The jump keeper menu can be invoked by "B" key. Also you can jump between current page and previous page with "Alt + Back" combo.
that was an exemplary piece of work.
Thanks, looks nice.

Have tested a couple of the last versions quite extensively
and here're my observations (in an arbitrary order), which hopefully would be found useful

1) cropping works great. But I think the display is a bit larger than the visible area, that's why it would be better to add a small margin (a couple of pixels). I believe I would not be the only as I heard this suggestions many times from users regarding how the CoolReader (?) works.

2) TOC: nothing big, but some lines contain a special symbol at the end of the line (an empty box), others don't. Maybe it is just me.

3) when the auto screen rotation mode turned on, if you turn your kindle to the landscape mode, the kindle bookshelf shows up. To get back the 'kindlepdfviewer', you need to press a button the 'kindlepdfviewer' can recognize (page forward /backward, 't', 'b')

4) it is not possible to call the (font) menu in the 'search results' window

5) the way the 'kindlepdfviewer' refreshes the page at exit is not quite clean.
If I was on page 3 in my kindle bookshelf, when starting the 'kindlepdfviewer', I return effectively to page 1, after exiting the 'kindlepdfviewer'. But the status bar says I am on page 3, so I still need to refresh the page.
On kindles, the page can be refreshed with the combo ALT + G.
With the exception of KDXG, which has firmware 3.x installed.
For some reason undiscovered, that combination does not work there.
The workaround is described here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=448)

6) it would be great if we could switch between the 'kindlepdfviewer' and the kindle bookshelf (in the CoolReader, it is done using shift + alt). Then, it would be possible to use some apps (e.g. KindleNote).

7) the wish for the future regarding the 'jump feature'. It would be great if we could see additional information to every line in the 'jump keeper', and not just pages. If the page coincides with a page referenced by the TOC, that line could be added in the jump keeper (e.g. with the remark 'TOC' to make clear it was taken from the TOC). Likewise for bookmarks or notes (when/if they become available). I just hope the performance would not deteriorate.

8) Also I believe the 'BACK' button would be more convenient when going to the previous page used (instead of the suggested ALT + BACK). The less moves have to be made, the better. That would obviously mean, there should exist an alternative way to close the book (which is currently done with the use of the BACK button).

9) then, there's a problem with one book I have. At the moment, I'm not sure if it has something to do with the 'kindlepdfviewer'. But the kindle native viewer has no problem with the book, neither is there a problem in the Duokan pdf viewer. The 'kindlepdfviewer' has, on the other hand, visible performance problems. It literally hangs and has rebooted my KDXG (currently using kindlepdfviewer-ed761ac), while I moved around the the book's TOC. Also, the book has only 144 pages, but I saw a reference to page 251 in the 'jump keeper'.

Is it correct it is currently not possible to jump to say to page 100?

Last edited by eLiNK; 02-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #83
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is the full description of using binfmt_misc - before various distributions "improved it" by introducing auto-magic tools:
http://minimodding.com/tiki-index.php?page=LuaBinFmt

That HowTo should have enough of the details for someone to figure out problems they may encounter with getting it to work.

Note: This description describes start-up scripting that is no longer compatable with some of the major Linux distributions. No biggie - in embedded systems, you mostly get to DIY anyway.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #84
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I've merged some things into my tree. However, I did not yet look into the stuff in the branches, i.e. jumpstack and rotation... Hope to get back to it soon. Thanks for all the great work. I've chosen Lua back then because a) I like the language for having language and core lib documentation on a single HTML page, and b) because it's fun to use it, even from within C.
knc1, what I don't really get is: what do you win by using binfmt_misc? There's the classic shebang notation anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like playing around with stuff, too, and am really curious if I'm missing some great possibilities...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
knc1, what I don't really get is: what do you win by using binfmt_misc? There's the classic shebang notation anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like playing around with stuff, too, and am really curious if I'm missing some great possibilities...
One less process creation.
shebang takes two (shell and shell proc'ing lua) sometimes three, depending on how it got called.

kernel binfmt_misc only has to proc' one process (lua) and that is probably in the kernel's cache buffers (a single process clone call).

Too bad tcc doesn't do ARM code (just x86 and a bit of MIPS).
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #86
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Have tested a couple of the last versions quite extensively
and here're my observations (in an arbitrary order), which hopefully would be found useful
Thanks for your testing and detailed report!!

Quote:
1) cropping works great. But I think the display is a bit larger than the visible area, that's why it would be better to add a small margin (a couple of pixels). I believe I would not be the only as I heard this suggestions many times from users regarding how the CoolReader (?) works.
I also want this feature too and I hope the margin can be configured by users. The configuration code can be handled cleaner by a flexible" settings module" as my previous post says. So maybe we should first wait to stabilize the "settings module"?

Quote:
2) TOC: nothing big, but some lines contain a special symbol at the end of the line (an empty box), others don't. Maybe it is just me.
Same here with "Programming in Lua", I though it was just me too ;-P

I will fix this.

Quote:
3) when the auto screen rotation mode turned on, if you turn your kindle to the landscape mode, the kindle bookshelf shows up. To get back the 'kindlepdfviewer', you need to press a button the 'kindlepdfviewer' can recognize (page forward /backward, 't', 'b')
Wow, I don't know that DXG has a rotation sensor! Added to todo list.

Quote:
5) the way the 'kindlepdfviewer' refreshes the page at exit is not quite clean.
If I was on page 3 in my kindle bookshelf, when starting the 'kindlepdfviewer', I return effectively to page 1, after exiting the 'kindlepdfviewer'. But the status bar says I am on page 3, so I still need to refresh the page.
On kindles, the page can be refreshed with the combo ALT + G.
With the exception of KDXG, which has firmware 3.x installed.
For some reason undiscovered, that combination does not work there.
The workaround is described here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=448)
Thanks for the link. I think the workaround you give is better than current implementation, which sends a "HOME" key press after exit to refresh the screen.

Quote:
6) it would be great if we could switch between the 'kindlepdfviewer' and the kindle bookshelf (in the CoolReader, it is done using shift + alt). Then, it would be possible to use some apps (e.g. KindleNote).
+1.

Quote:
7) the wish for the future regarding the 'jump feature'. It would be great if we could see additional information to every line in the 'jump keeper', and not just pages. If the page coincides with a page referenced by the TOC, that line could be added in the jump keeper (e.g. with the remark 'TOC' to make clear it was taken from the TOC). Likewise for bookmarks or notes (when/if they become available). I just hope the performance would not deteriorate.
This can be achieved with little overhead.

Quote:
8) Also I believe the 'BACK' button would be more convenient when going to the previous page used (instead of the suggested ALT + BACK). The less moves have to be made, the better. That would obviously mean, there should exist an alternative way to close the book (which is currently done with the use of the BACK button).
Yes, the "BACK" key has already been registered for existing to keep a consistent experience with the native reader . I am not sure it is good to use BACK to jump back, how about using the "del" key?

Quote:
9) then, there's a problem with one book I have. At the moment, I'm not sure if it has something to do with the 'kindlepdfviewer'. But the kindle native viewer has no problem with the book, neither is there a problem in the Duokan pdf viewer. The 'kindlepdfviewer' has, on the other hand, visible performance problems. It literally hangs and has rebooted my KDXG (currently using kindlepdfviewer-ed761ac), while I moved around the the book's TOC. Also, the book has only 144 pages, but I saw a reference to page 251 in the 'jump keeper'.
Um.. It seems like a bug in mupdf, could you send the pdf file to me for testing? Or you can fire a bug report to mupdf.

Quote:
Is it correct it is currently not possible to jump to say to page 100?
Yes, no support for page number jumping yet, but it is easy to add one.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #87
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I've merged some things into my tree. However, I did not yet look into the stuff in the branches, i.e. jumpstack and rotation... Hope to get back to it soon. Thanks for all the great work. I've chosen Lua back then because a) I like the language for having language and core lib documentation on a single HTML page, and b) because it's fun to use it, even from within C.
Oops, I have already merged other branches into my master branch before you merge. My bad.

Agree with you on using Lua. It is interesting to see how we can implement our own GUI with it.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #88
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
I also want this feature too and I hope the margin can be configured by users. The configuration code can be handled cleaner by a flexible" settings module" as my previous post says. So maybe we should first wait to stabilize the "settings module"?
I just wanted to raise the issue.
The idea with the settings is certainly better.

Quote:
Yes, the "BACK" key has already been registered for existing to keep a consistent experience with the native reader . I am not sure it is good to use BACK to jump back, how about using the "del" key?
Actually, the "BACK" key is used exactly for this same task in kindles, "jumping though history". That's why I suggested using it instead of the combo ALT + BACK.
But on the Kindle, you can also get back to the bookshelf by pressing the 'HOME' key.
The combo ALT + BACK could be instead used to close the books and/or the 'kindlepdfviewer'. This way you won't unintentionally exit the application.

Quote:
Yes, no support for page number jumping yet, but it is easy to add one.
ALT + 123 + <ENTER > ?

Last edited by eLiNK; 02-28-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #89
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Actually, the "BACK" key is used exactly for this same task in kindles, "jumping though history". That's why I suggested using it instead of the combo ALT + BACK.
But on the Kindle, you can also get back to the bookshelf by pressing the 'HOME' key.
The combo ALT + BACK could be instead used to close the books and/or the 'kindlepdfviewer'. This way you won't unintentionally exit the application.
Oh, I see. You are right.

Quote:
ALT + 123 + <ENTER > ?
Seems that it is impossible to issue combo like "ALT" + numbers. Because numbers themselves are inputted by "ALT" combos too.

How about displaying a input box for page number just like the search bar?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #90
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Seems that it is impossible to issue combo like "ALT" + numbers. Because numbers themselves are inputted by "ALT" combos too.

How about displaying an input box for page number just like the search bar?
Actually, that's how it works in Duokan. You press ALT + some number, and an input box with the number already pressed pops up.
But it does not matter.

An input box fired up by some shortcut would be fine as well.
Could you also provide some information on current page / total number of pages and incorporate three buttons "GoTo", "Goto Start", "GotoEnd"?

That would be sweet.