Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
magnumt
Literary Maestro
magnumt began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry, Nook Color
Question Nook Color and Folders (News & Mags)

Hey everyone, below are 2 quotes from a Thread/Question that was raised by another user elsewhere here (albeit in the wrong forum), so I'm asking it here from some NC vets (I got mine during the past Holidays of 2010 ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
My husband put some things like the Washington Post from Calibre to my Nook Color by going to Fetch News but it shows up under Books not News. How do I make News and Magazines show up on the NC where they are supposed to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should ask in the nook forum, but my guess is that if you can put the files in the news folder on the NC it will show up under news.
What's the best order to this, and have Calibre see it the next time you launch (and mainly not have the Database get corrupted or have broken links).

For example, would this work:

1. Download the Scheduled Feeds within Calibre, let it autoconvert to EPUB and Send to Device.
2. Shutdown Calibre.
3. Using Windows: Move Folders from within the Nook Color's 'My Downloads-->My Books-->News' Folder, to 'My Downloads-->News'
4. Relaunch Calibre.

-- Would the News still show in Calibre (possibly now under the News Section) as being on Device?

-- Also, will I have anything break from within Calibre's Database itself from doing so?

Thanks in advance!
magnumt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is a link to a post I wrote about magazines from calibre and how I've organized them on shelves, including a screen capture. The same comments apply to newspapers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1264456

I do mostly as you describe below. Transfer to the device and then drag and drop from Books into the correct folder. Basically, if the Fetch News is magazine content, then I place the files in My Files > Magazines. If the Fetch News is newspaper content, then I place the files in My Files > Newspapers.

I do one thing differently. I have calibre set-up so that after send to device it deletes the news content so it disappears from my calibre library. You can select this option in Preferences > Interface (Behavior).

You can see from the screen capture in the other post that I have even added covers to the calibre metadata so that it looks just like purchased content. The key to get issues of a single magazine / newspaper to appear on the same shelf is to set the Publisher name to be the same for each issue in the calibre metadata. I use the name of the magazine or newspaper as the Publisher. Otherwise it will place them all mixed up together in a group called calibre.

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Here is a link to a post I wrote about magazines from calibre and how I've organized them on shelves, including a screen capture. The same comments apply to newspapers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1264456

I do mostly as you describe below. Transfer to the device and then drag and drop from Books into the correct folder. Basically, if the Fetch News is magazine content, then I place the files in My Files > Magazines. If the Fetch News is newspaper content, then I place the files in My Files > Newspapers.

I do one thing differently. I have calibre set-up so that after send to device it deletes the news content so it disappears from my calibre library. You can select this option in Preferences > Interface (Behavior).

You can see from the screen capture in the other post that I have even added covers to the calibre metadata so that it looks just like purchased content. The key to get issues of a single magazine / newspaper to appear on the same shelf is to set the Publisher name to be the same for each issue in the calibre metadata. I use the name of the magazine or newspaper as the Publisher. Otherwise it will place them all mixed up together in a group called calibre.

Hope that helps!
Hi Bookworm girl, thanks for the quick response.

I do exactly what you do with Magazines (I even change the Publisher info to match that of the Magazine or Newspaper too ). I sort them pretty much the same way too.

The main issue/question I have though is that:

--What I described above in my OP, will it still show up in the Calibre Database as 'On Device'? And if not, how do I get it too?

Thanks,

--Mags

Last edited by magnumt; 02-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I turned off the auto-delete News from my calibre library and did a test for you. It seems that "On device" in calibre for main memory only reads from the My Files > Books folder. I am not sure how to change it to show the other folders (if that's possible).

I downloaded the News in calibre. Then I plugged in my NC. It sent the News to my NC in the Books folder. At that point, the file showed "On device" within the calibre library. I then closed calibre. I moved the News from the Books folder to the Newspapers folder. I then opened calibre. I had to eject and reconnect my NC via USB to get it to reshow in calibre. The News file was still in my calibre library. However, it didn't recognize that it was "On device". That's because it seems to be only looking in the Books folder and it's not there anymore.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 02-02-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Yeah, from the looks of it, it seems like it's only looking at the Books folder.

I wonder if it would be possible for future Calibre's for us to be able to specify in the News' GUI, what Folder we'd like to export to (if you have the Device Connected).

Kovid, thoughts?

--Mags

Last edited by magnumt; 02-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/8283
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Smile

Quote:

You rock my man!

Quick question(s):

Do I add that patch to my Calibre directory under Program Files (like you mention in the last comment)?

Also, I noticed the Ticket requester asked just for Magazines, but will it work for News as well?

Meaning will I have the ability to select my News to go to 'My Files-->Newspapers' folder instead of where it goes now: 'My Filess-->My Books-->News' Folder? And the same ability for Magazines?

--Mags

P.S. The correct path should be (I'm running version 7.43):

Code:
C:\program files\Calibre2\Lib\site-packages\calibre\devices\nook
The Ticket lists it as:

Code:
c:\program files\calibre2\Lib\calibre\devices\nook
And just to clarify, my python extension for the driver is .pyo, but the one you attach is .py (will that be an issue)?

Last edited by magnumt; 02-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just put the .py file in, it will take precedence over the .pyo. And it will work for any book in your library that has the tag News
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Smile

Awesome!

Do I need to do anything special for the same results regarding Magazines (where Magazines I download and use 'Send to Device' will go to 'My Files-->Magazines instead of 'My Files-->Books')?

For example, do I need to use the Tag 'magazines' there for it work?

Thanks again!

--Mags
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No all books tagged news will go to news, including magazines.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Ahh, anyway we can do the same for the Magazine Tag, that we just did for the News Tag (having those with the Magazine Tag on the NC go into 'My Files-->Magazines'?).

Also, just got this error (attribution it says) when trying to 'Send to Device' for the News stuff (with the new .py file):

calibre, version 0.7.43
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'MessageBox' object has no attribute 'setDetailedText'

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 242, in dispatch
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1187, in books_uploaded
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 692, in device_job_exception
AttributeError: 'MessageBox' object has no attribute 'setDetailedText'
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in debug mode (click the arrow next to preferences) and post the full debug log when this error happens
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.7.43
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.0
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG:    0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG:    0.0 USBMS: dirs are: N:\ My Files/Books
DEBUG:    2.3 USBMS: count found in cache: 84, count of files in metadata: 84, need_sync: False
DEBUG:    2.3 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG:    2.3 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. oncard= carda
DEBUG:    2.4 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. oncard= cardb
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Started up in 75.2030000687
Device using plugboard epub NOOK_COLOR None
Setting metadata in: Computer act!ve[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_qfzv2p.epub
Setting metadata in: EcoGeek [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_qcdg7f.epub
Setting metadata in: Engadget [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_xrsmfm.epub
Setting metadata in: Entrepeneur Magazine [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_x6559k.epub
Setting metadata in: London Review of Books (free) [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43__tfcfl.epub
Setting metadata in: PC Advisor [Sat, 29 Jan, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_qnmjfs.epub
Setting metadata in: Portfolio [Sat, Jan 29, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_lnwkuk.epub
Setting metadata in: TechWorld[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_ubcfm_.epub
Setting metadata in: Teleread Blog [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_xdb84d.epub
Setting metadata in: ScienceNews [Saturday, 29 January, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_421wq7.epub
Setting metadata in: PCWorld [Sat, 29 Jan, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_gv9ndk.epub
Setting metadata in: PC Magazine[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_ubfkqm.epub
Setting metadata in: Ars Technica [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_v50il5.epub
Setting metadata in: CNET News [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43_ch5tsy.epub
Setting metadata in: Popular Science [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] at: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.7.43_tmp_mjnjmo\calibre_0.7.43___dv4l.epub
DEBUG:  182.5 USBMS: uploading 15 books
Job: 3 Upload 15 books to device:Computer act!ve[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011], EcoGeek [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], Engadget [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], Entrepeneur Magazine [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], London Review of Books (free) [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], PC Advisor [Sat, 29 Jan, 2011], Portfolio [Sat, Jan 29, 2011], TechWorld[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011], Teleread Blog [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], ScienceNews [Saturday, 29 January, 2011], PCWorld [Sat, 29 Jan, 2011], PC Magazine[Sat, 29 Jan, 2011], Ars Technica [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], CNET News [Sat, 29 Jan 2011], Popular Science [Sat, 29 Jan 2011] finished
join() takes exactly one argument (2 given)

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64, in run
	  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 372, in _upload_books
	  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 182, in upload_books
	  File "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\Lib\site-packages\calibre\devices\nook\driver.py", line 101, in create_upload_path
	TypeError: join() takes exactly one argument (2 given)

join() takes exactly one argument (2 given)

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 372, in _upload_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 182, in upload_books
  File "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\Lib\site-packages\calibre\devices\nook\driver.py", line 101, in create_upload_path
TypeError: join() takes exactly one argument (2 given)

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 242, in dispatch
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1187, in books_uploaded
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 692, in device_job_exception
AttributeError: 'MessageBox' object has no attribute 'setDetailedText'
--Mags
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Silly typo, fixed driver.py uploaded on the ticket.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Smile

Quote:
Silly typo, fixed driver.py uploaded on the ticket.
Just saw, will try again. Thanks for the quick responses it's REALLY appreciated.

Btw, think we can please duplicate what we just did with News (for the News Tag) but for Magazines also (where those files with the Magazine Tag will go to 'My Files-->Magazines' instead of 'My Files-->Books'?)

--Mags

Tags
calibre, folders, magazines, news, nook color