Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
eReader content on the Nook

I was a huge user of peanutpress, which became ereader.com when bought by Palm, which was then purchased by Fictionwise, which is now owned by B&N. Confused yet?

Anyway, I have hundreds of books in this format. I was amazed that even though this is the .pdb format that B&N uses for their online store, the books don't work correct on the nook! Some of them will open, but none of them display the meta data correctly, and of the 5 I tried, only 2 would open and authenticate properly. Yet they all open fine in the reader software on my Mac.

I haven't gotten any response from B&N's website so far, and haven't had time to call. Anyone else having these issues?
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
I was a huge user of peanutpress, which became ereader.com when bought by Palm, which was then purchased by Fictionwise, which is now owned by B&N. Confused yet?

Anyway, I have hundreds of books in this format. I was amazed that even though this is the .pdb format that B&N uses for their online store, the books don't work correct on the nook! Some of them will open, but none of them display the meta data correctly, and of the 5 I tried, only 2 would open and authenticate properly. Yet they all open fine in the reader software on my Mac.

I haven't gotten any response from B&N's website so far, and haven't had time to call. Anyone else having these issues?
So far, I have one book (fictionwise) where the meta data does not show correctly; however all my books open without a probem and display correctly...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Most of my eReader books also have the meta data problems, even when I re-downloaded them from the ereader site. That said, many of them have no issues I can find, and even the ones with wonky meta data all seem to load and display fine as books, even if they don't show up in the library correctly. Right now I only have one of these wonky books on my nook, goodness knows how I'm supposed to keep track of them if I want to have more than one on the device at a time.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New firmware 1.1.1 still not solve this meta data problem of ereader.com pdb ebooks. However, I still can open them and read without problem.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
keyrunner
keyrunner began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-505
Fixed in Version 1.2 of Nook Firmware

The version 1.2.0 version of the Nook firmware fixes the problem of not being able to read Titles (but not Authors) from some, mostly old, ereader.com, peanutpress.com or fictionwise.com books on the Nook book list. It also permits you to sort the booklist by Title or Author. I am now a much happier owner of Nook since I too have been buying DRMed PDB books since the peanutpress.com days.
keyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
Hi, I have a lot of old Peanut Press, eReader and Fictionwise books I've bought over the years. Can you please tell me if the nook is the best device to read them on an e-ink device? Has anyone had any new experience and is all the meta data issues fixed that I've read from the above thread?
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
langshipley
Connoisseur

Oh, do you know if it's possible to side load books onto the nook via the PC rather than using the wifi function?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
jedema
jedema began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by langshipley View Post
Oh, do you know if it's possible to side load books onto the nook via the PC rather than using the wifi function?
I side loaded a couple of books onto my nook, and I used Calibre to do it. It handled any conversion necessary and easily sent it to the Nook.
jedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
langshipley: The eReader and Fictionwise e-books should work, simply by sideloading them. I don't know about Peanut Press.

You can't sideload NOOK via Wi-Fi. E-books from B&N are downloaded via wireless (3G or Wi-Fi), e-books from elsewhere are sideloaded over the USB cable, and never the twain shall meet. (Okay, you can sideload a B&N e-book, but not into your B&N library, so almost nobody does it.)

NOOKcolor does not support eReader PDB, so don't be planning on doing it with one of those.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
langshipley
Connoisseur

Thanks. I just really want an eReader for my PDB books so that I don't have them only on my iPhone. I'll get the nook then.

Does anyone know how many books a nook will hold? I have 1000+ books of various sizes.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

You can stick a 16GB micro-SD card in NOOK and it'll hold way more sideloaded e-books than anybody's got (tens of thousands, for typically-sized e-books). Unfortunately, right now there's no way to organize them. Having more than a few dozen, or maybe 100 at most, e-books loaded at a time is inconvenient as heck. I keep a maximum of 28 on mine, and the rest are in Calibre.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have a few hundred books on my nook. I soft-rooted my nook and sideloaded content is better managed than B&N content with the "My Books" app in the soft-root. My feeling is that soft-rooting a nook is a no-brainer, easy to do and easy to undo.

I converted all of my fictionwise content with Calibre and cleaned up metadata just for better organization, it looks good and I have no problems.
-Duncan
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Doug Pardee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I have a few hundred books on my nook. I soft-rooted my nook and sideloaded content is better managed than B&N content with the "My Books" app in the soft-root. My feeling is that soft-rooting a nook is a no-brainer
It's not a no-brainer for current NOOKs. Unless you mean that trying it causes the NOOK's brains to go away.

langshipley's question suggested that they don't have a NOOK. So if they get a NOOK, it probably won't be soft-rootable by the old, simple method. Rooting the new-design NOOKs is not (yet) for the faint-of-heart or anyone of rank Nerd JG or below.

I suspect that by the time any kind of simplified rooting procedure is available for the new NOOK design, we'll know what's in the 1.5 release. Maybe it'll make rooting unnecessary, or maybe not.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
langshipley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I converted all of my fictionwise content with Calibre and cleaned up metadata just for better organization, it looks good and I have no problems.
How do you convert the DRMed Fictionwise books or did you get only multiformat books from Fictionwise?

I tried to convert my books using Calibre and it told me the books had DRM on it.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
bethlo
bethlo began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
i'm probably going to myself look dumb here, but i just got my nook last week, so i'm still learning!

i bought two "secure ereader" books from fictionwise, thinking that if it's a barnes and noble company, of course they are going to work on my nook. but...so far i've been unable to get the books on the nook though. do i just drag them onto the nook icon on my desktop (that one just occured to me, but i'm at work, so won't be able to do that until i get home tonight). i did download the ereader software, it opens the books on the desktop ok. i was trying to drag them into ADE, (it was late at night and i wasn't firing on all cylinders obviously! i realize now that isn't going to work since they are a pdb). do i need to download calibre too?

many thanks in advance. this board has been a wonderful resource!
beth
bethlo is offline   Reply With Quote