Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Linux, Borders Ap

Still no Linux version of the Borders reader ap?. I would like to buy from Borders, as I live near one, but can't sync with the Kobo. Anyone have any insight. What's up with Borders anyway?
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Have you tried using the Windows version with Wine?
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
tajreed
Enthusiast

Yes, I've tried with Wine and it installs but won't sync with reader.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well I can't speak for wine specifically, but with Adobe Digital Editions and crossover office I have found that I need to connect the reader THEN load ADE. Perhaps the Borders App running on wine needs the reader connected first then run the Borders App. Might be worth a try.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
tajreed
Enthusiast

Tried switching things around. No luck. Installs from Wine nicely, but no synscing. Need a Linux version. I e-mailed two weeks ago-no response.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I can try and get you a version, with no promises of support though. Whereas we develop on linux and thus the linux builds tend to be relatively solid, we do most of the testing / bug fixing with focus on PC's / Macs.

Will have to be 1-2 weeks from now tho, email me shasan at kobobooks dot com
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
It's good to see more locations looking at linux as a viable option.

Given that Android is basically linux (with the modified kernel) it makes sense that a lot of places should now look at linux/linux-like developments.

I'd say distribution of Ubuntu/Debian packages would gain the most exposure due to the rapidly expanding number of people using Linux as a result of Ubuntu's fairly good offering.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I can try and get you a version, with no promises of support though. Whereas we develop on linux and thus the linux builds tend to be relatively solid, we do most of the testing / bug fixing with focus on PC's / Macs.

Will have to be 1-2 weeks from now tho, email me shasan at kobobooks dot com
Can I ask, why don't Kobo release an official Linux version of the Desktop app? Obviously it is already developed and used internally, so its not like a complete development project is needed. The Linux market is expanding and us users are screaming out for official apps, rather than the current hack'n find a workaround solution.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
The Linux market is expanding and us users are screaming out for official apps, rather than the current hack'n find a workaround solution.
Legalities perhaps? Maybe even fear? Sounds silly I know but the fact is once you drop the app into the linux pit then you know it's going to be torn to pieces by several people looking for GPL violations and what ever else. Certainly we don't want illegal things going on but sometimes I think that there's a large contingent within the Linux community who seem hell-bent on knifing every commercial vendor.

(btw, I'm an Open-source developer of about 15 years - I also do commercial software for linux )

paul.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
They have released a linux version of their app, they haven't released ones which use the Borders ebook store though. They haven't "officially" released an Linux app cause they don't want to support it, it sounds like they already have a problem with not enough support staff for handling the Windows and Mac side of things so I don't blame them. You should be able to find a thread on here which does have a link to the Linux version of their app.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Before everyone jumps in and says "the community will support it" I have to say it still doesn't matter. I get endless questions/feature-requests/support-requests (non-paying) for software and unless people are paying about $300 a copy I really don't have the time or inclination any more to do the support. I've been at it for 12 years straight on some of the packages.

Paul.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
brownieboy
brownieboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (original)
How about using Calibre?

It's in the Ubuntu repositories.
brownieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Legalities perhaps? Maybe even fear? Sounds silly I know but the fact is once you drop the app into the linux pit then you know it's going to be torn to pieces by several people looking for GPL violations and what ever else. Certainly we don't want illegal things going on but sometimes I think that there's a large contingent within the Linux community who seem hell-bent on knifing every commercial vendor.

(btw, I'm an Open-source developer of about 15 years - I also do commercial software for linux )

paul.
I know what you are saying. There was a thread a while back about possible GPL violations with the Kobo (ended up being a misunderstanding, Kobo weren't in the wrong).

I've mentioned this in recent months in forums with ereaders; I find it rather ironic that a Linux-based device has no Linux support what-so-ever (in terms of application software for managing the device).

Then again with the announcement of a wifi-version the Desktop app is almost becoming irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieboy View Post
How about using Calibre?

It's in the Ubuntu repositories.
Nice idea, but the Kobo Desktop allows for syncing purchased ebooks from Kobo with the device. If you don't use the Kobo Desktop you need to do the workaround to run ADE under wine to be able to download the DRM'd epubs from Kobo before you can load them into Calibre. ADE or Kobo Desktop, either way us Linux users need to find a workaround.