Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEs View Post
I never understood why Apple wanted to redo Googles work, which worked pretty good. It`s a bit like facebook joining Nasdaq. Another strange decision, I never understood...
Why did Google introduce their own social networking site?
To have control over it.
Same answer here. You never want to leave yourself at the mercy of a competitor.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Why did Google introduce their own social networking site?
To have control over it.
Same answer here. You never want to leave yourself at the mercy of a competitor.
But the other social networking sites were NOT competitors UNTIL Google got into the Social Networking space.

It's not always a good idea to get into businesses you are not good at just for the sake of owning it.

In many industries there an axiom that it's better to buy than to build.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
> But the other social networking sites were NOT competitors UNTIL Google got into the Social Networking space.

Knowing who you communicate with, what about, and how often, is very much in line with Google's business interest if you remember that they are first and foremost an advertising company.

As for Apple maps... it's a shame. My personal take on maps is that the Apple version is much nicer. The presentation is cleaner (especially during navigation, also Google's vector drawing is horrible for roads that meet at acute angles), it's more intuitive (especially the two finger swipe to change perspective, which is backwards on Google's app), it has more features (which may change quickly), etc...

Google, of course, still wins on one the primary function, which is the data set. That said, Apple's data set has been good enough for my needs and it has not yet let me down when navigating.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad/iPhone
Of course, the Apple optic and usability is nicer, but Google has got the core competence. A remake is in most of the cases not better. The Google social network is optical nicer, too, but will never have as many users, as facebook. Nevertheless I am sure, that Apple will continue working on their own maps.
DeeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Google, of course, still wins on one the primary function, which is the data set.
Data set trumps everything else. No matter how nice looking your maps app is, if it doesn't get you where you want to go, it's totally useless.

And people don't seem to like iMaps that much anyway:

Google Maps 4 - 1 iMaps
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Well so far in my limited use, Apple's map program is better. At least, using the two for a common location sent me there correctly on main roads using Apple and got me turned around by throwing me into private roads on Google. And I prefer the layout of Apple's system.

I'll keep using both on and off for a while to see how they go, but I never seemed to have any of the big issues people complain about with Apple's app. It's always clearly sent me to the right spot.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. Apple's navigation has been perfect for me so far. The biggest shortcoming, IME, being the lack of fuzzy search.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad/iPhone
The thing I like most is the combination of Siri and the Map App. I only had to say, where I wanted to drive to, and it worked - by only pressing one single button. I may be wrong, but I do not think, that this is possible with another smartphone.
DeeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
The thing I like most is the combination of Siri and the Map App. I only had to say, where I wanted to drive to, and it worked - by only pressing one single button. I may be wrong, but I do not think, that this is possible with another smartphone.
Android has had a voice command that triggers the turn by turn directions with Google maps since v2.2 Froyo (May 2010).

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/m...voice-actions/

It was real 21st Century moment for me when I first used this to find a theatre when we were running late for a show (walking), and I just pressed the mic icon on the phone and said "Navigate to Theatre Royal, Wakefield" and the phone got us there on time.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #25
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I think it is in fact available on any Android phone running a recent(ish) version of Android. [Drat! 4 minutes too slow compared to Graham]

Personally, I have an iPhone 4S and I am absolutely in love with the Google Maps app. It has an easy to use interface and contains two "killer apps" lacking in Apple's solution: (i) Street View; and (ii) transit information. And not a "killer app" per se, but I also trust Google's maps when it comes to having addresses and streets clearly mapped and having street directions correctly identified.

I was using a separate app for transit prior to the release of Google Maps, but I've since dumped that as Google Maps offers the same data and a better interface. I've also removed iMaps from the homescreen and relegated it to the same app ghetto I reserve for Apples Newstand app.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 12-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are indeed wrong. Android has had voice navigation for quite some time; you simply say "navigate to <address>" and you're done.

And it's possible to use siri with Google maps.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You are indeed wrong. Android has had voice navigation for quite some time; you simply say "navigate to <address>" and you're done.
Correct... before Siri.

Quote:
And it's possible to use siri with Google maps.
Oh? Only thing that I know how to do is to launch the app with Siri. You can't say to navigate to an address and have it use Google Maps, only Apple Maps. You can use the microphone button on the keyboard for entering an address, but that's not really Siri.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Correct... before Siri.

Oh? Only thing that I know how to do is to launch the app with Siri. You can't say to navigate to an address and have it use Google Maps, only Apple Maps. You can use the microphone button on the keyboard for entering an address, but that's not really Siri.
Just add "via transit" to the end of your command, and pick Google maps from the list. Google's your friend.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #29
twowheels
Wizard

A bit indirect [a few slow extra steps], but it does work. Good catch! Also works for Waze.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #30
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Just add "via transit" to the end of your command, and pick Google maps from the list. Google's your friend.
You are a smart smart flightless little bird.

It is the Christmas season and my wife who loves penguins has them and polar bears all over the house. (It is a never fail gift.)'

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote