Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 02-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Dumas, Alexandre: Les trois mousquetaires (French) PDF (9x12cm) v3 14 Oct 2011

This is the original French version of the classical "The Three Musketeers". I created the PDF from the PG text, with pdflatex (and a bunch of packages). The book is nicely formatted and typeset, with table of contents, etc. It's also proofread. It has minimal margins, and 9pt font size ("-ss" stands for small screen), it may be too small for some people, but the source files are available on request if someone wants to try different settings.

Don't miss the sequels: Vingt ans après, Le vicomte de Bragelonne

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

In version 2, I also added a "chapterbar" to the top of every page. It has two bars marking the progress on the whole book and on the current chapter, which I hope are unobtrusive and helpful enough.

EDIT (v3): Added some sentences (see reply).

(previous download count: 982)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LesTroisMousquetaires-ss.pdf (2.51 MB, 3257 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 10-14-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
hlb
hlb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Salut Jellby!

Thank you for posting this, it's a beautifully produced version of the book. I'd just started reading this one (after making a really crude conversion from a Word doc version to a whomping 6Mb RTF file that my Reader can take...).

I didn't manage to read it for very long on the Reader because of the font size (and somehow the reader just isn't rendering the font as clearly as it tends to render plain text), but it works well on the computer.

If anyone happens to port a version to a larger font size, please do share it, as I would love to have a copy I can read off my Reader.

Cheers!
hlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlb View Post
Salut Jellby!

Thank you for posting this, it's a beautifully produced version of the book. I'd just started reading this one (after making a really crude conversion from a Word doc version to a whomping 6Mb RTF file that my Reader can take...).

I didn't manage to read it for very long on the Reader because of the font size (and somehow the reader just isn't rendering the font as clearly as it tends to render plain text), but it works well on the computer.

If anyone happens to port a version to a larger font size, please do share it, as I would love to have a copy I can read off my Reader.

Cheers!
http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/book/502
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
hlb
hlb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Perfect, thank you!
hlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlb View Post
I guess that's normal, the rendering method is probably different in pdf files, and that may lead to slightly fuzzier fonts.

As for the font size, there is obviously a trade-off between font size and number of pages. Also, in a small screen, if I set the font too big then the typesetting quality degrades (shorter lines means it's more difficult to find acceptable line breaks, which leads to large interword spacing or non-justified lines, as you can see sometimes in text files, at least in the cybook).

So, I guess I could build the PDFs with a slightly larger font, but I don't like to make too large. Would you feel more at ease with a 10pt font or would you need more?
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Mistralain
Zealot
Mistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enough

Device: Booken Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
This is the original French version of the classical "The Three Musketeers". I created the PDF from the PG text, with pdflatex (and a bunch of packages). The book is nicely formatted and typeset, with table of contents, etc. It's also proofread. It has minimal margins, and 9pt font size
Very nice work.:
I'm impatient to see this on my Cybook as soon as I receive it.
Mistralain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

MR user Doitsu has reported a few sentences here and there that appear in some editions of the book. Although they seem to be missing in most editions, I've included them because I believe they add to the clarity of the text. Uploaded v3.

Tags
français, french, historical fiction, intrigue