Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
thanhlp
thanhlp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKB View Post
Please, can someone write instruction for Kindle 2i?
I tried to do like Timestorm says, but '/etc/ppp/chatscripts/att-connect' not exist and '/etc/resolv.conf' is empty. I changed '/opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs' but it's not helping.
Hi,

Could you please tell me how to make a shell access to kindle 2i? Sorry for this newbie question but I need my kindle 2i work with my local 3g network,

Thanks in advance!
thanhlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #32
thanhlp

Any one could help? Please!
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #33
xptiger
xptiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kiddle 3
i want to change the SIM-Card on my kindle 3, too. Amoazon 3G doesn't work in my country. Anyone knows how to change the SIM please help
xptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #34
thanhlp

@TimeStorm: could you have a more detail instruction?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #35
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
For now it's not, but I predict that the inevitable tide of competition will in a year or so force Kindles to go color and multi-purpose, and people will want to use them like laptops -- and for a small monthly browsing fee, they will be able to. For people who complain that they loved the black and white Kindles, Amazon will provide a button that switches to b&w mode.
That can only happen when there is some color e-paper, with a good enough refresh rate. Not anytime soon....

Multi-purpose, why not. But only if it doesn't lower the reading experience. And if i want to read, i don't want to pay $$$ for functions I don't use.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #36
ooommm
ooommm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX graphite
I succeeded changing amazon's SIM card in my kindle dx graphite to my local GSM provider's sim and getting online

this is what I did:
1. changed sim card in kindle
2. commented these lines in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
#settings.proxy.hostname = fints-g7g.amazon.com
#settings.proxy.portnumber = 80
#settings.proxy.sslportnumber = 80
btw, if you don't want your kindle to be recognized online as mobile device, change browser identification string in the same file to smt like this:
user_agent.base = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Linux 2.6.22)
3. changed DNS server's ip addresses to my GSM provider's in /etc/resolv.d/resolf.conf.3
4. changed some settings in /etc/ppp/chat/connect-3 to be compagtible with my GSM provider's settings (dialing number and AT+CGDCONT connection string)
5. rebooted kindle and thats it! internet worked
ooommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
ooommm

btw, browsing in Kindle DX graphite (with latest firmware 2.5.5) is a nightmare... i could say it is almost imposible, because browser always freezes, navigation is terrible (there is no mouse like pointer), etc...

browsing with small sreen kindle 3 (what i saw on youtube) is nothing to compare to...

i hope soon there will be firmware update for kindle my DXG...
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #38
thanhlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooommm View Post
I succeeded changing amazon's SIM card in my kindle dx graphite to my local GSM provider's sim and getting online

this is what I did:
1. changed sim card in kindle
2. commented these lines in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
#settings.proxy.hostname = fints-g7g.amazon.com
#settings.proxy.portnumber = 80
#settings.proxy.sslportnumber = 80
btw, if you don't want your kindle to be recognized online as mobile device, change browser identification string in the same file to smt like this:
user_agent.base = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Linux 2.6.22)
3. changed DNS server's ip addresses to my GSM provider's in /etc/resolv.d/resolf.conf.3
4. changed some settings in /etc/ppp/chat/connect-3 to be compagtible with my GSM provider's settings (dialing number and AT+CGDCONT connection string)
5. rebooted kindle and thats it! internet worked
Thanks very much for your kindly post. I did replace kindle sim with my own sim card, but do not know how to go to next step. Could you please have some instruction on that or any link I can read? Thanks and sorry because I am newbie in this!

Last edited by thanhlp; 11-01-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #39
ooommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhlp View Post
Thanks very for your kind post. I did replace kindle sim with my own sim card, but do not know how to go to next step. Could you please have some instruction on that or any link I can read? Thanks and sorry because I am newbie in this!
well, first of all you need to install jailbreak and then usbnetwork following instructions in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

then you need to activate usbnetwork state. In search box in your kindle dxg (home -> menu -> search) type without quotes:
1. ";debugOn" and press enter
2. "`usbNetwork" and press enter

these commands will allow you to access kindle dxg from network. drivers for new network card for winxp can be found here: http://www.davehylands.com/linux/gum...bnet/linux.inf
Kindle's IP address will be 192.168.2.2 (don't forget to accordingly configure your new (kindle's) internet connection's settings, that is to set same mask IP, for exemple 192.168.2.1)

after doing that you'll be able to telnet 192.168.2.2 your kindle and access it's linux console.

so using that console you will be able to access and change mentioned files.

be careful and don't edit/move/delete/rename wrong files, because it could result in your kindle not booting up.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #40
thanhlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooommm View Post
well, first of all you need to install jailbreak and then usbnetwork following instructions ....
Thanks a ton! I am doing it right now and report to you soon!

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #41
thanhlp

Wow, this is a really a challenger for newbie like me! It took me one afternoon and one night to get rootsell from my window 7 to my kindle 2i, and I did learn about "vi" text editor plus some command in linux to edit file as you instruct, thanks!
So everything seem OK and fine.
But I have problem that our wireless provider need username and password in order to have connection, and I do not know where to put that information to the file /etc/ppp/chat/connect-3?

Please help! Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #42
thanhlp

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_GPRS

I found some thing here but it seem not working :-(
PS: I am not sure CHAP or PAP so I put username and pass to both files.

Last edited by thanhlp; 11-01-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #43
ooommm

you can try the following:

1. add user/password in /etc/ppp/{chap,pap}-secrets
2. in "/etc/ppp/peers/peer-3" comment line "noauth"
3. add line (username to use for authentication, should match "client" in /etc/ppp/{chap,pap}-secrets):
user "change_this_to_your_username"

you can also try to modify "peer-4" and "connect-4" according to your GSM provider, because kindle could use those files for connecting. I'm not sure how it chooses which peer/connect number to use

if that don't help, you can turn on pppd debug mode and see whats going wrong. to enable debug mode enter these two lines in "/etc/ppp/peers/peer-3":
--------
debug
logfile /mnt/us/pppd_log.txt
-------

then try to restart/connect to gsm network and read the log file.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #44
thanhlp

Hi ooommm

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I did follow your instruction, below is what I got from the log file. It seem the connection, username, password is OK, right?
Could you look through it and give me a hint?

Thanks for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log.png
Views:	1058
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	60462  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #45
thanhlp

Update

I just add IP address to configuration files, and below is what I get from the log file. It look better? But the result still the same, I still can not get to the internet :-( And I wonder why the battery drain so fast?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log2.png
Views:	726
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	60482  

Tags
kindle modifications