Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #31
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Because I do most of it and right now I don't have the time.
Also, I don't think the B&N reader should be front page yet. All we have are a few pictures and the press conference is tomorrow.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Also, I don't think the B&N reader should be front page yet. All we have are a few pictures and the press conference is tomorrow.
Actually, there is a front page article about the B&N reader that was posted a few days ago.

I hope there really is some exciting news tomorrow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Press kit link with more pics. There does seem to be a shallow bump out on the back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #34
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I thought the name "QUE" was already used by a publisher.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #35
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Once all three are released, I plan on buying the Que, the Nook, and the new iRex; and then returning the 2 that I love the least.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Take a look at this photo on the Plastic Logic website. I think they need to hire a photographer.

I think they did, but they don't have anything to show. I think the photographer did a good job of hiding that little fact...

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #37
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
I call it lack of omnipotence. If you report news that you think should be on the home page there is more of a chance it will happen.
I use regularly the "Submit News!" button, I remember doing that for the Irex. Sometimes submission did get to the frontpage news, but I guess that not ideal as it's another feed to check manually and it takes times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I do most of it and right now I don't have the time.
Nate, is there any way I can help you?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I use regularly the "Submit News!" button, I remember doing that for the Irex. Sometimes submission did get to the frontpage news, but I guess that not ideal as it's another feed to check manually and it takes times.
I think by the time any of us mods got on-line the iRex was plastered all over the Internet, so adding it to our front page would have been redundant. Perhaps that was a bad decision.... but that's what we went with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #39
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
I suspect most of the users here will not be interested in the Que (pronounced like the more correct word: Queue, which is evidenced by their not-so-clever use of the word in a context that implies waiting for something in the fashion of a queue).

Personally I work in an environment where many documents are passed around, read, mulled over in groups, etc. It is quite common to waste paper printing these. Some of them are password protected office documents which this reader supposedly will support (based on twitter responses) and others are regular old PDF. Some of the FAQ imply it will ship with a printer driver, probably some licensed print-to-pdf deal or one that will print to the device like the iRex DR1000*

SO yeah. I suspect it will be pricey for a regular eBook reader, and not compelling to the novel readers around here. But I think it has a good chance of being well priced and compelling to someone with daily business uses for it. That's where my interest stems anyway.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #40
scoff
Enthusiast
scoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
I suspect most of the users here will not be interested in the Que (pronounced like the more correct word: Queue, which is evidenced by their not-so-clever use of the word in a context that implies waiting for something in the fashion of a queue).

Personally I work in an environment where many documents are passed around, read, mulled over in groups, etc. It is quite common to waste paper printing these. Some of them are password protected office documents which this reader supposedly will support (based on twitter responses) and others are regular old PDF. Some of the FAQ imply it will ship with a printer driver, probably some licensed print-to-pdf deal or one that will print to the device like the iRex DR1000*

SO yeah. I suspect it will be pricey for a regular eBook reader, and not compelling to the novel readers around here. But I think it has a good chance of being well priced and compelling to someone with daily business uses for it. That's where my interest stems anyway.
I'm just having reservations about they will handle document annotation. I think I remember reading on Gizmodo that the screen was a capacitive touchscreen, but I'm still holding out hope for a stylus. How do you annotate something using only your finger?
scoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems pretty clear that this is a device aimed squarely at the business market, not the personal user. As such, I'd expect it to be in the same price range as the iRex DR1000; ie $700-$1000.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #42
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoff View Post
I'm just having reservations about they will handle document annotation. I think I remember reading on Gizmodo that the screen was a capacitive touchscreen, but I'm still holding out hope for a stylus. How do you annotate something using only your finger?
Well for one, you can use a stylus with a capacitive touch screen, it's just going to be a special stylus. Less special than a wacom stylus mind you.

But I have not read anywhere that it will be capacitive. The only thing I've read relates to it taking gestured input from the touch screen. And then the more direct claim that it will support annotation. Never have I seen anything that actually says it'll let you arbitrarily draw on the screen likea normal touch screen. What they may actually do is a "low resolution" pressure sensitive panel beneath the flexible plastic screen. Enough detail to get swipes and maybe even word selections but that's about it. If they take the standard PDF approach to annotation that's actually enough as real PDF annotations don't allow arbitrary drawings, just a few shapes and lines and notes.

Still it could easily be a sticking point if they screw this part of it up. And it's not really worth worrying too much about til January.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #43
zacheryjensen
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems pretty clear that this is a device aimed squarely at the business market, not the personal user. As such, I'd expect it to be in the same price range as the iRex DR1000; ie $700-$1000.
Except they know from watching iRex fail to make headway with that device that the price was way too high. Furthermore they will competing with tablet pc's and tablet style netbooks that are that price or lower already. I expect them to make a competitive advance against the Kindle DX and its price point. The Kindle DX is already overpriced for what it offers anyway. A little better software and a touch screen is really all the QUE is bringing to the table so it can't be that much more expensive than the DX to manufacture. In fact the plastic screen they are touting is supposed to be much, much cheaper to manufacture as it doesn't require silicon or glass.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #44
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Looks nice.
Maybe 2010 will be a turning point in ebook industry with all the new big players entering the game.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
In fact the plastic screen they are touting is supposed to be much, much cheaper to manufacture as it doesn't require silicon or glass.
But bear in mind that they have to recoup all the R&D costs for it - which must be considerable, to say the least. I would be very surprised to see this in the Kindle DX price range, I really would.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote