Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Doukan

hi guys
i wanted to know if doukan will be availible on kindle paperwhite 3 or not ? and what are other programs ( except koreader ) availible on KPW3 for reading PDFs ? how can i use Pocket on this device ( Kobo has integrated Pocket on its ereaders , but as far as i know , Amazon does not have such integration ) ?
Thanks a lot .
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Duokan is not our product, and the developers of Duokan do not appear to still be active. Just use KOReader. There are a couple different programs that are KOReader derivatives, or predecessors, but KOReader should do just fine.

You can use pocket to send articles to your Send-to-Kindle email address, I guess.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Duokan is not our product, and the developers of Duokan do not appear to still be active. Just use KOReader. There are a couple different programs that are KOReader derivatives, or predecessors, but KOReader should do just fine.

You can use pocket to send articles to your Send-to-Kindle email address, I guess.
has koreader on kindle diffrent features than koreader on kobo ? or they both have the same features ?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Michael.A.H: Same feature set. With the addition of the possibility of integrating it into the default UI via KPVBooklet (i.e., clicking ePubs from the Kindle's list/cover browser, and not only KO's file manager).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the same codebase, so except for variations in the device integration it should be identical.

However, I have never owned a Kobo and I don't use KOReader on my Kindle (because I just convert to AZW3 and use the firmware reader software). So my knowledge is merely peripheral and I could theoretically be wrong.

EDIT: Ninjaed by an actual KOReader dev.
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
because I just convert to AZW3 and use the firmware reader software
you mean you convert your books into AZW3 or what ?
and what kind of books do you read on your kindle ? have you ever tested scientific papers which incude formulas , and sometimes diagrams and charts and tables ?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Michael.A.H: Same feature set. With the addition of the possibility of integrating it into the default UI via KPVBooklet (i.e., clicking ePubs from the Kindle's list/cover browser, and not only KO's file manager).
you have choosen both kobo aura h2o and amazon kindle paperwhite on your device list , how do you as a consumer compare theese two devices ?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post
you mean you convert your books into AZW3 or what ?
and what kind of books do you read on your kindle ? have you ever tested scientific papers which incude formulas , and sometimes diagrams and charts and tables ?
Precisely. I don't use anything with formulas or charts, certainly not scientific papers.
Which mostly boils down to, I don't read PDFs on my Kindle.

The Kindle has a very inferior PDF reader, so if I wanted to read PDFs I would definitely try out KOReader... but as it is, I mostly read for enjoyment, which means stuff that works equally well as EPUB or AZW3.

Hence my lack of anything more than peripheral knowledge. I will leave you in NiLuJe's capable hands now.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Precisely. I don't use anything with formulas or charts, certainly not scientific papers.
Which mostly boils down to, I don't read PDFs on my Kindle.

The Kindle has a very inferior PDF reader, so if I wanted to read PDFs I would definitely try out KOReader... but as it is, I mostly read for enjoyment, which means stuff that works equally well as EPUB or AZW3.

Hence my lack of anything more than peripheral knowledge. I will leave you in NiLuJe's capable hands now.
thanks a lot .
if i got right , in terms of books that are availible on AZW3 or EPUB , both devices are great and there is no significant diffrence ? or does ,8 inch larger screen mean a lot ?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post
thanks a lot .
if i got right , in terms of books that are availible on AZW3 or EPUB , both devices are great and there is no significant diffrence ? or does ,8 inch larger screen mean a lot ?
I have not found much difference between the devices themselves although it depends on what you want to do.
So I will ask a very simple question.
What do you want to on your ereader?
What types of books? Do you plan to buy straight from the store or do you plan to sideload?
How picky are you about fonts?

OK so technically that is 4 questions.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

More or less. I mean, Kobo does have a slight reputation for flaky firmware, and inferior dictionaries, and an apparently inaccurate touchscreen depending on whether you use KEPUB or EPUB which makes highlighting and annotations a royal pain (so undoubtedly a software bug)...

As for screen size, it doesn't mean anything to me. It's a somewhat personal decision though, so it might mean something to you.

We have a Which One Should I Buy forum here on MobileRead, if you are interested in general comparisons rather than questions about Kindle thirdparty software support.
You are more likely to find people there who have used both devices and can compare the experience. This being the Kindle Developer's Corner, most of us only have experience with Kindles specifically.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Michael.A.H: Both are equally terrible if you really do need to read complex PDFs. KOReader makes that noticeably less painful, but I still wouldn't really recommend an eInk device for that.

Kobo's software is not that great, but a bit more customizable.
A Kindle is hands-down much more noob-friendly.

My biggest gripe with Kobo would still be their apparent lack of interest in driving Carta eInk screens to the fullest extent of their capabilities (don't jump from a PW2+ to a Kobo, that'll make you sad, in terms of ghosting & refresh speed).
As mentioned, there are large rendering and performance differences, as well as a number of varying quirks depending on whether you read ePubs or kePubs (you could compare that to the mess that's starting to develop on Kindles with Mobi/KF8/KFX).
If you've never extensively used a (recent-ish) Kindle before, the Kobos are perfectly fine.

I have to admit that I do miss those .8" when I see a PW, though, but it's not that big of a deal if you've never extensively used a 6.8" device .

If you care about that sort of thing, a Kindle (especially the latest generations) will be scarily less bulky, lighter and thinner, but that doesn't actually deter you from finding a Kobo perfectly usable.

FWIW, the device that I've been carrying around with me everywhere is the H2O, the PW2 stays at home, and hasn't seen much actual "use" (as an eReader that is. As a fun thing plugged in to my computer to poke around in, that's another kettle of fish ;D).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2016 at 04:45 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

hi
i have a question , is doukan availaboe on Kindle Paperwhite 2014 ? and in comparison to koreader , which one is better ?
thanks .
Old 07-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, kindle paperwhite 3, koreader, pocket